Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

High-end Head Unit help

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2007, 05:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most people use and have been using the clarion 9225 because of its cost and sound quality. The only thing that I feel is better is going to be the F1. The deck really does nothing other than what it MUST do as stated by BILLACE. And the processor is required for operation. I would not put any of these items in the EVO.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 06:13 AM
Evolved Member

i have the same splits by Sea Lotus, good choice, they are sweet speakers. i use a Tube driver amp to deliver power through a Pioneer P9 combo head unit and processor.

overall the sound is clear and powerful although i want even more...the pioneer deck is quite well priced and a high quality sound.

clarion deck you mention is also very good i just prefer pioneer or maybe nakimichi next time.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 08:37 AM

Thanks for all the input guys.

I think I might go with the Clarion because I can now get one for $600, and I don't think I am going to get a better sounding deck for anything close to that. Now I only wonder if I should get the Alpine processor to go along with it.

Oh and I was mistaken when I wrote earlier that my friend claims the Clarion was the Alpine F-1's equal. What he actually said is that the Clarion is the closest thing to the Alpine as far as new head units are concerned. He pointed me to Werewolf's posting on elitecaraudio.com for technical info. It was way over my head, but it sounded good.

Space - I have heard the older Seas Lotus Reference in my friends STi. It sounded incredible. He is using Zapco amps though and I don't know how my DLS will stack up to that.

So my final system is going to look like this:

Clarion DRZ9255
Seas Lotus Reference components
Seas Lotus 12" sub
DLS Ultimate A7 amp

For now I am going to try not to use a processor, but we will see how long that lasts. Also we are going to bi-amp the Seas Reference, using all 4 channels of the A7 to power the front components.

I will post pics and let you guys know how it sounds when it is all finished.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by dbsears87
Well I have only played with one a bit in another persons car. Internally they are probably the best made and geared the most towards sound quality. Externally they are somewhat plain and the settings can be confusing and its somewhat hard to navigate. One thing I dont like is it has an open faceplate and I never really liked that design because over time dust can get inside of the unit and on the laser. Good deck but a little overpriced imo.

Edit I would prefer this at equivalent price: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn..._34724,00.html
dbsears87 - I love this deck. That is the one my friend has, but I could not get that one at the right price so I am going to go with the Clarion. I appreciate the input
Old Mar 14, 2007, 05:41 AM
Evolved Member

homwerk, you will be pleased, that is a very good set up you have. its geared towards SQ thats for sure. i luv it when people dont skimp on audio!

what do you listen to? your sub setup seems focused more on vocals, classical, rock? i have 2 IDMAX 10"-i like bass.
Old Mar 14, 2007, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by space
homwerk, you will be pleased, that is a very good set up you have. its geared towards SQ thats for sure. i luv it when people dont skimp on audio!

what do you listen to? your sub setup seems focused more on vocals, classical, rock? i have 2 IDMAX 10"-i like bass.
I like bass as well. But I like accurate quick bass. I listen to a pretty wide range of music. I like music with great instrument playing such as Dave Matthew's but I also love reggae. I love the sound of Steel Pulse in a great sounding system.

I do listen to a lot of rock and classic rock, so I did want to have a very 'punchy' accurate bass. I listen to less and less rap these days so a big bumpy sub was not in my cards this time around. But who knows, that may change and maybe I will be posting in on how you like your IDMAX subs . They are one of my favorites.

Edit - On a side note, the reason that I did not go with the IDMAX the first time around is power. I wanted to power everything with one amp for some reason. The IDMAX seemed to want about double the power of the Seas. Plus I heard the Seas sub and it was very quick, accurate, and punchy. Also I got a good deal on it =)

Last edited by homwerk; Mar 14, 2007 at 09:11 AM.
Old Mar 14, 2007, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
If you are considering the Alpine processor then you should get an Alpine deck with a Toslink output. You can find 7949 or 7969's pretty cheap. The reason is that the deck is only a digital output and won't have an effect on SQ and the AI NET head unit will allow control of some processor functions. An Alpine video unit will have all controls built in. The H901 'baby F1' processor is a great piece and superior to the P9 in many ways.

I would also use multiple amps if SQ is your ultimate goal.
Old Mar 14, 2007, 11:12 PM
Evolving Member

I've got the Pioneer Premier DE-P880PRS and I love it. Very very clean, lots of adjustments available. If you have an iPod, the Pioneer interface is one of the best I've used. The Fullspeed Alpine piece does work faster, but that would mean you'd have to buy one of Alpine's decks and . . . . eh. The 880 has gotten tons of glowing reviews. Search over on caraudio.com, you probably won't find too many negatives.