Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Laser Jammer Install

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2007, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shameless, what part of ma are you from?
Old Mar 27, 2007, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
North shore, 15m north of Boston
Old Mar 27, 2007, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

hey shameless, does the laser thing work?? I was thinking of getting one and testing it on one of those speed things that cops leave out to show your speed, anyways yeah really interested
Old Mar 27, 2007, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hksevoix
hey shameless, does the laser thing work?? I was thinking of getting one and testing it on one of those speed things that cops leave out to show your speed, anyways yeah really interested
Those aren't laser, so this won't help. They do set my radar detector off like crazy though
Old Mar 27, 2007, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

Shameless, thing looks sweet, I thought I saw you around before, remember, I'm north of boston also, 128 area, anyways, in MA, and I think anywhere you can still get pulled over for estimated speed, and does this also work for Lidar, since that sends back signals of a reflecting surface?
Old Mar 27, 2007, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MyEvoDream
Shameless, thing looks sweet, I thought I saw you around before, remember, I'm north of boston also, 128 area, anyways, in MA, and I think anywhere you can still get pulled over for estimated speed, and does this also work for Lidar, since that sends back signals of a reflecting surface?
This is ONLY good for LIDAR... from 1000', a laser gun emits a signal about 3 feet wide. If this jammer is hit by that signal, it emits jamming laser light so the gun recieves all kinds of feedback and is unable to obtain a speed. Meanwhile, the buzzer you install in the cabin is beeping like nuts (and probably your radar detector too) The idea is to slow down safely then TURN OFF the jammer... the gun will get a safe speed reading and the officer will move on.

Also applying Veil Stealth coating to your headlights and using a laser absorbing license plate cover will make your car less reflective and will reduce the range of the gun.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 04:39 PM
Evolved Member

Ah, sweet, sounds good, yea, you def. have to check back with results, I'm sure it wont be hard, considering, as you probably know, there are TONS of staties out here nowadays! We should definitely get together this summer and cruise to a show at some point
Old Mar 27, 2007, 04:41 PM
Evolved Member

wow so what's the whole process you went through for this?
Old Mar 27, 2007, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hksevoix
wow so what's the whole process you went through for this?
The install consisted of removing the front bumper, using the included mounting brackets to angle the jammers on a perfect horizontal plane, and mounting them to the plastic guides on either side of the front of the car. Lastly, I had to use tie downs to make sure the jammers were aimed DIRECTLY straight (and not off to the left or right).

All in all, I'm happy with the result. They are horzontal, aimed straight, and are as close to the headlights as can be, plus at the mid-hight of the headlights (headlights and license plates are the targets for the laser guns)
Old Mar 28, 2007, 04:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ShamelessCookie
Radar does not work from a 90 degree angle... the more of an angle you are to them, the slower you appear on their radar.

Since laser requires the officer be stationary, a cruiser cannot tag you from the rear... laser traps are always stationary and almost always from the front
In the statement at the top, not sure if you ment to say laser instead of radar, but radar can be used anywhere. Ive seen the equipment in use in person.

In your lower statement, he can tag you from the rear and will if he is sneaky, and will give you a ticket. So watch those overpasses and highway entrance ramps.

Originally Posted by newimportowner
in order to radar or lidar a car it has to be front front or rear. it requires a dopler shift to detect your speed and they cant gain that it you are moving laterally in front of them. there is no change. on a similar note the farther of an angle it is from head on, will show your speed slower than it is, so they want you from the front or rear.
Just to clear this up a bit, if using LASER, he has to be in front or behind, and can be off-centered slightly above or below as well as to the left or right. Radar does require a doppler shift but they CAN and WILL lock your speed if you are moving while they are moving in front of or behind them. Again with the farther the angle between the Laser gun and car, you are correct but if they are too far out of the accepted arc, the gun will error.

This is ONLY good for LIDAR... from 1000', a laser gun emits a signal about 3 feet wide. If this jammer is hit by that signal, it emits jamming laser light so the gun recieves all kinds of feedback and is unable to obtain a speed. Meanwhile, the buzzer you install in the cabin is beeping like nuts (and probably your radar detector too) The idea is to slow down safely then TURN OFF the jammer... the gun will get a safe speed reading and the officer will move on.

Also applying Veil Stealth coating to your headlights and using a laser absorbing license plate cover will make your car less reflective and will reduce the range of the gun.
I was more under the impression that the beam width was about 8"s wide at 1/4 mile unless there are impurities in the air (dust, fog). Then the beam may become a little wider. Everything else is correct assuming all conditions are in your favor.

The install consisted of removing the front bumper, using the included mounting brackets to angle the jammers on a perfect horizontal plane, and mounting them to the plastic guides on either side of the front of the car. Lastly, I had to use tie downs to make sure the jammers were aimed DIRECTLY straight (and not off to the left or right).

All in all, I'm happy with the result. They are horzontal, aimed straight, and are as close to the headlights as can be, plus at the mid-hight of the headlights (headlights and license plates are the targets for the laser guns)
Good Stuff Bro, and thanks for the review.
Old Mar 28, 2007, 04:49 AM
Evolved Member

About getting hit from rear, I was referring to a moving cruiser. But yes, you're right, a stationary laser trap can be setup to hit from rear.

Regarding laser cone over 1000', my reference is:

Originally Posted by http://www.radar-detectors.co.uk/radar_detector_technology.asp
The advantage of a laser speed gun is that the size of the ‘cone' of light that the gun emits is very small, even at a range like 1000 feet (300 metres.) The cone at this distance might be 3 feet (1 metre) in diameter.
Old Mar 28, 2007, 05:00 AM
Evolved Member

About getting hit from rear, I was referring to a moving cruiser. But yes, you're right, a stationary laser trap can be setup to hit from rear.

Regarding laser cone over 1000', my reference is:
You can get hit from the rear by a moving cruiser with radar but not laser. I think thats what you were saying. If so, yes you are correct. And that website is in the UK as you already know, Im pretty sure our laser devices are more advanced here on the states. As far as i know, Laser has an effective range beyond 1/4 mile but has to be used within that limit and 99% of the time it is. There was the one time I was hit from almost a 1/3 of a mile away but I saw him LONG before I got there. Very bright day, and I was comming down a hill. He stood no chance. Again, thanks and good luck. If you are unlucky enough to test that device and it really works for you, let us know.
Old Mar 28, 2007, 05:19 AM

Staties in MA has been an a$$ lately... my couisin got a ticket for 85 on rt. 3 south from lowell. But he was really only going 50... oh well... its a 07 SI. On the ticket it says ESTIMATED. hope they dont bother me... i go to Lynn a lot.
Old Mar 28, 2007, 05:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evolution MR IX
Staties in MA has been an a$$ lately... my couisin got a ticket for 85 on rt. 3 south from lowell. But he was really only going 50... oh well... its a 07 SI. On the ticket it says ESTIMATED. hope they dont bother me... i go to Lynn a lot.
They are @ssholes but they use radar most of the time in Mass and its makes them vulnerable. I always pick them up whether are pullin up fast from behind or staionary in front. They are starting to use laser more and so are the staties in upstate NY. ICT staties seem to use laser 99% of the time. Last time Ive seen radar used by a statie here was 2000. Its getting viscous out there. Suddenly, these jammers are looking pretty good to me.
Old Mar 28, 2007, 05:34 AM

Last time i checked the laws they cant give a ticket from a reading more than 1000' away.

Quick Reply: Laser Jammer Install