Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

DEI alarm questions....

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2007, 12:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DEI alarm questions....

I'm getting a Python 990 installed in a couple of days. I'd like to know:

1: What relay I need to buy to do the remote start and where to get it.

2: Is a proximity sensor worth adding?

Thanks.
Old May 30, 2007, 04:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EV06MR
I'm getting a Python 990 installed in a couple of days. I'd like to know:

1: What relay I need to buy to do the remote start and where to get it.

2: Is a proximity sensor worth adding?

Thanks.
1. Any Spdt relay. I use bosch or DEI (probably bosch).

2. It will annoy the hell out of you because in some cases, it will chirp if anyone is near your car at anytime. Not sure if its worth adding. I dont park near anyone and my car stays garaged when not in use. So I cant give you a strait answer on that one.

Whos doing the install?
Old May 30, 2007, 04:40 PM
Evolving Member

Don't ask... LOL Circuit City. I could probably do the install myself but I've never done one before. I don't know much about the hood pin installation and stuff. I've done several stereo installs and I put my TT in which was a breeze. How easy is it to do?

LOL....a simple SPDT relay? Not sure how to wire it up to the alarm but they are like $3. Is that right?

Last edited by EV06MR; May 30, 2007 at 04:43 PM.
Old May 30, 2007, 04:43 PM

been doing it for many, many years. take it to a professional. not the hardest car to do, just would suck if you messed something up. check all installers(CC,BBY) and find who your comfortable with.
Old May 30, 2007, 04:54 PM
Evolving Member

The guys at CC seem cool...plus I've already spent too much time installing stuff. I have a CC credit card so it's not like I'm actaully handing over cash right now anyway. I just need to know how to wire up the auto start because they won't hook it up by law.

BTW- I have a Blitz TT and I leave the car in nuetral all the time anyway....it's habit.
Old May 30, 2007, 05:54 PM
Evolving Member

For one, there is more than 1 relay to use a remote start.

If you have never done one, don't bother with this car. There is an immobilizer key and not ever doing one will certainly ruin your day.

They are easy to work around, if you know how to do it. I have been aninstaller for 15 years or something really old like that.
Old May 30, 2007, 07:00 PM
Evolving Member

I've installed house alarms and fire systems for several years and now I do splicing for the phone company so wires or wiring doesn't bother me. It's not like I'm not paying for installation but they just won't do it for legal reasons which I understand. I'm guessing I need to use a specific resistor(s) to fool the system into thinking the key is in the ignitiion. I just need to know what relays and wires I need to get to. I appreciate the info and if you'd feel more comfortable PM'ing any info that would be great. If not, then I understand as well.
Old May 30, 2007, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

i have the same alarm your getting and all i can say is it's worth the money. i also got perimeter sensor with it but i set it on the lowest setting it can go. So it won't give me any false alarm. I had the pro's do the install.
Old May 30, 2007, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so how is this alarm??? is it good. bc i need one
Old May 30, 2007, 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

it works great for me. the only thing bad about this is the screen that you have on your remote is black and white, so when you go to dark places like movie theater you can't see the screen when it's beeping. but other than that works great! and it have 1mile radius in reception.
Old May 30, 2007, 08:20 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the info....I'm looking forward to having it installed. I'm not thinking of doing the prox sensor....seems like it may be more of an nuisance but I like it this way it doesn't give people the opportunity to look in the car.
Old May 31, 2007, 05:32 AM
Evolved Member

The last Python I had was a real pain. THe remotes kept crapping out on me. Have not used one since. Hopefully they are better quality now. I know they are part of the low Viper line-up. I would just get the Viper 791 and be done with it.
Old May 31, 2007, 05:35 AM
Evolved Member

are u set on that alarm???? if not get a clifford g5 u can prob pick it up for 350 and comes w prox sensor, black jack, built in battery, hood pins. I read somewhere that the python only triggers for like 15 seconds then stops (i could be wrong)
prox sensor: i would get just incase any punk kid wants to be a fool and be clingy to ur car or kick it or w.e, if the weather is bad it won't go off so it won't annoy u in that form. The prox sensor only goes off when it feels some1 is tampering w the car or really close, u have diff setting and can turn it up or down.
Old May 31, 2007, 08:51 AM
Evolving Member

It's not that I'm set on that alarm , I'm just using my CC credit card so it's just mainy convenience. As far as Python vs Viper...they are from the same company so I can't see why 1 would be better than the other as far as quality. I was told that Python and Viper are the same systems just compete against each other at retail locations. EX: Best Buy VS Circuit City. 1 carries Viper the other Python. I know Nike will only send certain lines to Foot Locker and certain lines to Champs for competitive reasons. I might install the prox sensor myself in a couple of weeks if I end up buying an air splitter first.
Old May 31, 2007, 11:52 AM
Evolving Member

Viper and python are the same exact thing. Only with a different badge on it so 2 different stores close by can sell similar product. Marketing stragedy.

There are no resistors to use with a RS on an Evo. If your going to do the RS install yourself, you are better off getting an alarm/rs combo.

It will be right around 250 for everything built in and will be a cleaner install when your done. You will also need DEI piece 556u and a programed spare key.

The 556u is a box that holds the key, has power and ground on it to turn on the internal relay. There is a coil that will be around the base of the key and then another loop that will go around the key cylinder under the steering cover.

The immobilzer system works by induction and rf transmitting.

Quick Reply: DEI alarm questions....