Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

The Best Viper Alarm!!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2007, 10:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Best Viper Alarm!!

Ok, im planning on investing some money on a viper alarm system. But the question is, which one is the best? or which one do you guys own and are you happy with it?
Old Jun 19, 2007, 10:21 PM
Admin Alumni

Moved.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 11:34 PM
Evolving Member

bump
Old Jun 20, 2007, 03:06 PM
Evolving Member

bump
Old Jun 20, 2007, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
compustar

range is amazing. The viper i had in my evo i couldnt arm or start from 500 ft away... my compustar im at about 2000 ft inside a building and i have direct communication with my car
Old Jun 21, 2007, 05:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bigric09
compustar

range is amazing. The viper i had in my evo i couldnt arm or start from 500 ft away... my compustar im at about 2000 ft inside a building and i have direct communication with my car
Your viper alarm was probably installed incorrectly. Propper grounding and antenna routing is a must with these systems. They tell you what to do right in the manual. I've gotten over 500ft range from a NON 2way viper sytem on atleast every car that I had installed one in. The older 2way units had a few issues here and there with range in high microwave areas and especially after the LCD remote had been dropped a few times. The newer units are fine now.

As far as the best system for the OP, it depends on your needs. Check out the different models on Viper's site at directed.com . The most common system for vipers amongst Evo owners are probably the 791vx or xv. 2way lcd Remote start and alarm with .25 mile range. Installed with all accessories required for the Evo, you're probably looking at 5-600 bucks. Viper also makes this system with a bright color OLED display. It'll probably be 100 bucks more. Not worth it IMHO unless you want to be unique. The system I would recommend would be the Viper 5900sst. 1 mile range under ideal conditiions. I have 2 of the Clifford 50.5x's, which is the exact same thing as the viper unit with a few tweaked accessories and features. I have tested this units range at atleast .5 mile in less than ideal conditions. Search alarms or viper alarms on this site to see further review of this subject.

jaysonmyfeet07, you have to be more specific on your security needs and your available funds next time. If you can't install these systems yourself, they get pricey really fast.

And to all the compustar lovers out there, most of your Evos and almost all the other cars with immobilizers and remote start add-ons have a Dei device installed so that the unit works properly. I've never supported compustar and never will. I have suggested them as a final option for those who habitually leave their vehicles in gear. But I never did so with a clear conscience.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 05:59 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by NoTec
I've never supported compustar and never will. I have suggested them as a final option for those who habitually leave their vehicles in gear. But I never did so with a clear conscience.
viper was my first choice but nobody would install it without the waiver if the car starts in gear. if you mean that leaving the car habitually in gear, does it mean that the compustar system is so foolproof it will not start remotely unless you do the "reservation mode" speaks highly of the system then. there is no such system I believe with the viper(maybe I'm wrong). the problem with the compustar, not many is familiar with it and the install manual that comes with it is not very descriptive unless you search the "real" install manual used by compustar installers. since no local shop knows about it, I installed it myself without any problems. viper install is good for auto transmissions but if it is a manual transmission, I think compustar is the best option.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 06:12 AM
Evolved Member

Your viper alarm was probably installed incorrectly. Propper grounding and antenna routing is a must with these systems. They tell you what to do right in the manual. I've gotten over 500ft range from a NON 2way viper sytem on atleast every car that I had installed one in. The older 2way units had a few issues here and there with range in high microwave areas and especially after the LCD remote had been dropped a few times. The newer units are fine now.

As far as the best system for the OP, it depends on your needs. Check out the different models on Viper's site at directed.com . The most common system for vipers amongst Evo owners are probably the 791vx or xv. 2way lcd Remote start and alarm with .25 mile range. Installed with all accessories required for the Evo, you're probably looking at 5-600 bucks. Viper also makes this system with a bright color OLED display. It'll probably be 100 bucks more. Not worth it IMHO unless you want to be unique. The system I would recommend would be the Viper 5900sst. 1 mile range under ideal conditiions. I have 2 of the Clifford 50.5x's, which is the exact same thing as the viper unit with a few tweaked accessories and features. I have tested this units range at atleast .5 mile in less than ideal conditions. Search alarms or viper alarms on this site to see further review of this subject.

jaysonmyfeet07, you have to be more specific on your security needs and your available funds next time. If you can't install these systems yourself, they get pricey really fast.

And to all the compustar lovers out there, most of your Evos and almost all the other cars with immobilizers and remote start add-ons have a Dei device installed so that the unit works properly. I've never supported compustar and never will. I have suggested them as a final option for those who habitually leave their vehicles in gear. But I never did so with a clear conscience.
I have spoken to a couple of installers in my area about this topic. The guy that installed mine was the head installer at a viper authorized dealer. Apperantly in the DC metropolitan area the best you should expect out of any system is about 1/8-1/4 miles due to all the electronic interference from Langley, DC, etc...
Old Jun 21, 2007, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

my viper was installed by a quality certified tech, everything was installed as the manual described... im not saying the alarm sucks, just that the range is not really comparable. To be able to lock and unlock your car from inside a solid brick building with several thick walls in between, i work in an electronic maintenance shop so you can imagine the amount of interference that is in the building and my office. Not to mention it is a 2 or 3 minute walk to my car at a minimum once i get out of the car. range is nice. as far as quality of the unit goes, i'd say they are pretty similar
Old Jun 21, 2007, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sblvro
viper was my first choice but nobody would install it without the waiver if the car starts in gear. if you mean that leaving the car habitually in gear, does it mean that the compustar system is so foolproof it will not start remotely unless you do the "reservation mode" speaks highly of the system then. there is no such system I believe with the viper(maybe I'm wrong). the problem with the compustar, not many is familiar with it and the install manual that comes with it is not very descriptive unless you search the "real" install manual used by compustar installers. since no local shop knows about it, I installed it myself without any problems. viper install is good for auto transmissions but if it is a manual transmission, I think compustar is the best option.
There are other add on devices that allow safe operation of non-manual transmission complient systems. I haved used them with success but have noticed hiccups in their operation in EXTREME cold weather situations. The arming process would be the same as reservation mode on the compustars. I will use and add-on before I use a compustar if I have to.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

range .... the newest compustar coming out is boasting 6000 ft range. that is crazy. to each his own, everyone has their own preferences
Old Jun 21, 2007, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 34Turbo
I have spoken to a couple of installers in my area about this topic. The guy that installed mine was the head installer at a viper authorized dealer. Apperantly in the DC metropolitan area the best you should expect out of any system is about 1/8-1/4 miles due to all the electronic interference from Langley, DC, etc...
On the units with spread spectrum technology (sst), interference is not as much of an issue. I work at Westover Airforce base and interference is a major concern after 3pm. It doesn't fais my remote starter at all. In a dense metropolis like DC, I suppose on can run into the same problem at every hour but I have faith that the range of the sst units will continue to be rock solid. Any device that complies with FCC regulations will be affected in these areas but the better built units should still work. I wonder how many years of radio communications theory that head installer studied.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bigric09
range .... the newest compustar coming out is boasting 6000 ft range. that is crazy. to each his own, everyone has their own preferences
We can go on and on about range but to end this range discussion, Clifford has GPS technology and has had this for YEARS! Call your car up and start it from anywhere. As far as I know, one member on this site has it and has had it for a while and that is BillAce. Want and unbiased opinion on just about any audio/video/security/convenience solution, ask him. Want a second opinion on who is the best and who has the best technology, ask him. To my knowledge, compustar does not offer Gps features.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 07:58 AM
Evolving Member

WTF?

Why do people need to start there cars from 13 zipcodes away anyway?

Personally I like that my remote has about 1/4 mile range. That way there when I am in Boston at a resteraunt or something I don't have to worry about unlocking my doors over a mile away.

Some people will chime in now about the 2way flagging you if your alarm has been triggered. Sorry to be a dick, but if your a mile away and someone ****s with your car your probably not oging to catch him anyway. How long does it take to run a mile?

If you are at work and want your car to start before you leave but are to far away, you can get a timer and program in what time to start the car. These are like 10 bucks on ebay and are 4 wire hook ups.

DEI is also the most reliable piece in the market IMHO. As for the manual transmission hookup, you can use a couple normally closed magnetic switches and install them on the shifter under the boot to only allow it to start in neutral.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 07:59 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
..... To my knowledge, compustar does not offer Gps features.
it is called computrack

Quick Reply: The Best Viper Alarm!!