Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Neodymium sub recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2007, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Neodymium sub recommendations

Anybody have any experience with a Neodymium subwoofer they would recommend for a SQ system with some punch? I'm trying to lose a little weight in the trunk and my Iridium 12 and its mdf box will probably be the first to go. Looking into a neo sub and either IB set up or "lightweight" wood or composite enclosure.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by scotdw6
Anybody have any experience with a Neodymium subwoofer they would recommend for a SQ system with some punch? I'm trying to lose a little weight in the trunk and my Iridium 12 and its mdf box will probably be the first to go. Looking into a neo sub and either IB set up or "lightweight" wood or composite enclosure.
Budget?
Old Aug 21, 2007, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Cant you just remove your enclosure before racing?
Old Aug 21, 2007, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by DontRevMe
It depends on the look he is going for, if he wants a custom integrated install that wouldn't work.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CUSTEL
It depends on the look he is going for, if he wants a custom integrated install that wouldn't work.
says who

Just requires more planning. IN FACT, with in a month or so ill post pics of my current project of a glassed 10w7, dual amp rack, all glassed and 100% removeable in under 5 minutes.

Old Aug 21, 2007, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by DontRevMe
says who

Just requires more planning. IN FACT, with in a month or so ill post pics of my current project of a glassed 10w7, dual amp rack, all glassed and 100% removeable in under 5 minutes.

JL bleh.....

to OP:

You are considering IB, have you ever had/heard a proper IB install before?
Old Aug 21, 2007, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

the woofer itself wasnt my point, the size/weight was.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 02:00 PM

Budget isn't really an issue. I have not, however, heard an IB setup with a quality sub, so that may not be a solution. I have seen pics of BillAce's setup on evom, which uses an Illusion Audio (I believe--maybe AltoMobile) sub in an IB. It's pretty sweet.

Yes, my current setup can be easily removed, but a lightweight sub with no enclosure seems attractive and neo subs often weigh much less than a W7, Iridium, IDMAX, etc.

with in a month or so ill post pics of my current project of a glassed 10w7, dual amp rack, all glassed and 100% removeable in under 5 minutes.
Definitely interested to see your setup. Any idea what it'll weigh--just driving around town?

I have also considered moving the sub to an enclosure in the passenger rear footwell to at least move the weight down and more centered. Mainly curious about neo subs.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

Best advice is to actually listen to them.

SQ system with some punch.........hrmmmmmm.

Not sure many subs will use this. I know the Diamond Audio D9's use neodymium magnets. I have heard these locally. They are fairly tight with good accuracy.

Neodymium per the Sony website:

A rare earth element metal, atomic number 60 in the periodic table, neodymium is combined with iron and boron to produce a magnet producing 7.5 times the magnetic gauss of standard ferrite magnets - the strongest permanent magnets known.
Neodymium, or more specifically the neodymium-iron-boron alloy, is often the material of choice for high end tweeter and midrange speaker magnets because of its high strength, light weight, and small size. It's often chosen for the magnets in headphones as well, for the same reasons. It is a rather expensive material as well, so it is not found in many entry-level speakers
Old Aug 21, 2007, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Oops, I completely forgot about the Elemental Designs SQ10. It is a great little sub that only needs .3+ cu.ft. to sound great.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

Budget isn't really an issue. I have not, however, heard an IB setup with a quality sub, so that may not be a solution. I have seen pics of BillAce's setup on evom, which uses an Illusion Audio (I believe--maybe AltoMobile) sub in an IB. It's pretty sweet.

Yes, my current setup can be easily removed, but a lightweight sub with no enclosure seems attractive and neo subs often weigh much less than a W7, Iridium, IDMAX, etc.

Definitely interested to see your setup. Any idea what it'll weigh--just driving around town?

I have also considered moving the sub to an enclosure in the passenger rear footwell to at least move the weight down and more centered. Mainly curious about neo subs.
I wont be designing it to be light weight, the woofer alone is 40lbs or so, each amp is 15-20.. Im designing it to fit between the wheel wells, and have hidden handles to just pick up and move out at the track.

If i had to guess it would be 110~lbs all said and done..maybe less
Old Aug 21, 2007, 02:38 PM

SQ system with some punch.........hrmmmmmm
Yeah, I know, it's an oxymoron. But it's better than saying "SQL." I figured auditioning them would ultimately be necessary, but figured someone might have some experience with them so I could minimize the auditioning time I spend out there. There are not many subs that use neo, but there are a handful. Haven't seen the Diamonds and will have to check out the eDs.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 02:43 PM

You can't beat the sound of an IB install with a proper IB sub it is amazing. I'm an spl person so I'll speak w/ my friend and former team mate, sql competitor that runs IB to see what he recommends because it's not something you can do with all subs...
Old Aug 21, 2007, 02:43 PM

I wont be designing it to be light weight
I figured it wouldn't be light--just as long as you can heave it out of the trunk when needed.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by CUSTEL
You can't beat the sound of an IB install with a proper IB sub it is amazing. I'm an spl person so I'll speak w/ my friend and former team mate, sql competitor that runs IB to see what he recommends because it's not something you can do with all subs...
Thanks, I would be very interested to hear what he says, because I know excellent IB subs are not all that common. The task then becomes sealing the trunk from the cabin.

Quick Reply: Neodymium sub recommendations