Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Do 6x9's fit on the rear shelf? (IV)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2007, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
But.. he already owns the speakers and it will be better than what he has now. If you read any of my previous posts in audio topics you would see my recommendations are always toward true 2 channel audio. For this OP none of that advise will apply.

I'm not as young as I look and probably have been involved in car audio, installing tuning and developing products before most of the members here were born. My first car had an 8 track...now they all connect an iPod and have no concept of staging, imaging or SQ. I have headphones that are more expensive than most systems.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sound quality is extraneous in a moving vehicle, especially with windows down and with high bass volumes shaking anything from panels to a coin in the dash.

My 7x10's will handle more than any other full range speaker or component and isn't over stated on the handling as the clean Alpine V12 707 can't make it distort. I can feel the snappy midbass throughout my body and the low frequencies really make up for lack of Subwoofer volume. If I can't get them flush in the rear I'd be more than content in housing them in the doors. I've heard all set ups and no 2 speakers have impressed me more than the heavy hitting Kenwood HQ-318's. You literally have no need for a sub.

I only want to bang dance music out in the car and not compete in SQ, I save Pink Floyd for my TOTR home SACD player.

Last edited by Matt IV; Sep 28, 2007 at 05:24 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

Bill - I respect your knowledge, I'm sure you know more then me... I'm one of those guys who is friends to a bunch of hardcore audiophiles, I've seen and heard some setups worth more then my house.

Matt - I can only say that you haven't heard the right stuff... my car's exhaust hits over 95db easy, yet I have an image at 7000rpms and hit a clean, musical 130+db to the point that you can't tell what frequency the sub takes over.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

6x9 fit fine in my 8
Old Sep 28, 2007, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

My car is very loud and I have a great sounding system on the road. My car is still below the stock weight too. I doubt most people would be willing ot modify their car to the level I have. You can have it all, it just costs a great deal of money not to mention time and skill.

The Blue- I have a pair of electrostatics made for the car. One day I'll find a midbass fast enough to work with them so they are worthwhile. Most equipment I use is prototype products I am testing or custom made for me. I am not the typical car audio guy but I understand that. 99% of the people who listen to my balanced system with a real stage and center image will just ask "where's the bass, you spent how much and its not loud." We are the minority. I did manage to convert many people by listening to mine or a serious customers car. I had 11 cars at world finals one year and all of them placed. fun timesruining by iPod or computer listenting combined with absolute **** recordings put out today. You know you have a great system when a new album sounds bad...
Old Sep 28, 2007, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

bill - a good friend has the hertz 3 way setup with a ribbon mid tweeter (as shown) which probably has some of the characteristics of electrostatics... it's the best off the shelf I've ever heard, as it should be for like $5000.. I'd love to see what elecrostatics do to a car.. how much space do they take up? have you considered a small focal sub?

Last edited by theblue; Sep 28, 2007 at 07:41 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by theblue
bill - a good friend has the hertz 3 way setup with a ribbon mid tweeter (as shown) which probably has some of the characteristics of electrostatics... it's the best off the shelf I've ever heard, as it should be for like $5000.. I'd love to see what elecrostatics do to a car.. how much space do they take up? have you considered a small focal sub?

Ribbons are not as fast as electrostats, I used the Accumatch ribbons 5 or so years ago in a car. They do have the same directional issues though. The 'stats I have are 5"x5" panels, good to about 800hz. They are about a 1/4" thick but they are best bipolar so they need room behind them. I rigged up servos to turn them out from the kick just to play in a car once, I tried a dozen midbass drivers but nothing was near as fast and could keep up.

I've used the focal 5.25" subs many times. You need a bunch of them or a big sub along with them. THey can anchor down to around 65-70Hz but can get ugly by around 110db levels. I used them in large vehicles without time alignment to help bring the base up front more than I could with phase but I normally like to keep things simple and use a 2 way front and sub. the arriveal times, reflections and phase problems just make it too tough to dial in with more equipment and that is all you need for full frequency reproduction. Feel free to PM me with any questions...
Old Sep 29, 2007, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by theblue
Bill - I respect your knowledge, I'm sure you know more then me... I'm one of those guys who is friends to a bunch of hardcore audiophiles, I've seen and heard some setups worth more then my house.

Matt - I can only say that you haven't heard the right stuff... my car's exhaust hits over 95db easy, yet I have an image at 7000rpms and hit a clean, musical 130+db to the point that you can't tell what frequency the sub takes over.
Of course I've heard the right stuff. I bought the 7x10's after getting 2 sound systems pinched! They do the job of a complete system with only 2 speakers and as they fit under hatchback shelves they are 100% stealth!

Having a top notch set up in the car is futile, save it for the home. I've never liked the sound of 6x9's but the 7x10's have unbelieavble bass response that enables a smaller bass box. so I'll try and stick with them.
Old Sep 29, 2007, 06:02 AM
Evolved Member

I can't agree with the futility comment. I've taken 16 hour road trips and having a great system allowed me to enjoy music the entire time. With most systems I would have had serious ear fatigue with 2 hours. It is diffucult to get linear response in a car because of the car interior itself but acheiving this is definitely worth it...
Old Sep 29, 2007, 08:59 AM

Yeah but it's personal preference, I share the car with the partner and 7yo lad, I'm never alone in the car. The HQ's aren't cheap quality and don't distort, so for a reasonably cheap buck you get a great deal of bang for your money.

I love clarity but it's the bass and midbass in the car for me, something that gets you locked up at home when the neigbours complain!!!!!
Old Sep 23, 2008, 01:49 PM
Evolving Member

has anybody got pictures of 6 x 9's fitted? debating if its worth cutting into the metal shelf?
Old Sep 23, 2008, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's not worth cutting into the sheet metal. The shelf does actually provide a bit of structural integrity for the car. My friend cut his up to fit 3 8" (I know it's not the same, but . . .) and he said he could feel a difference in the stiffness of the car and he noticed a lot of squeeking from the car/panels flexing. I wouldn't do it in an evo.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 02:11 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by biggie5252
It's not worth cutting into the sheet metal. The shelf does actually provide a bit of structural integrity for the car. My friend cut his up to fit 3 8" (I know it's not the same, but . . .) and he said he could feel a difference in the stiffness of the car and he noticed a lot of squeeking from the car/panels flexing. I wouldn't do it in an evo.
i might look into making some sort of brackets to house my infinity 6 x 9's then. Problem is the boot bars that support the boot.

i want to fit these 6 x 9's as i have them already.

i'll update thread following further investigation into MDF Brackets.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 07:43 AM
Evolving Member

Smile

Well i have made the templates and the boot closes with out any resistance or catching etc.....

I had to trim some excess plastic off the speaker but it wont compromise the sound!! if i hadn't purchased these speakers prior to Evo ownership i'm sure i could of found a slightly slimer 6x9.

The Infinity 6 x 9's fit nice and snug and retain all of the stock fittings including the grills so it looks clean, standard and hopefully less chance of little scroatums breaking in thinking there is alot £££ of stereo to be nicked. I didn't have to cut into the standard metal shelf, so all in all i can take my 6 x 9's out and return to stock in 5mins!!

Here my template;

Here is the drivers side fitted;

so there you have it you can fit 6x9 on standard IX shelves without changing / modifying any of the standard panels / fittings.

i'll report back later on with my thoughts of the sound quality improvement ect.. and more complete finished pics.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 08:59 AM
Evolving Member

All finished and neat & tidy and no fouling.

The sound quality is awesome and mid-range is from non existant to very good!
big sound feel is back

Very happy sounds great:smthumbup

well worth it!!

Quick Reply: Do 6x9's fit on the rear shelf? (IV)