Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Do 6x9's fit on the rear shelf? (IV)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2007, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do 6x9's fit on the rear shelf? (IV)

Just bought an Evo IV and wondered if My Kenwood 7x10's from my old car will fit in without much trouble? They are the same size as the infamous 6x9's.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

yes well at least they fit in my 8
Old Sep 27, 2007, 02:03 PM

without any modifications/cutting?
Old Sep 27, 2007, 08:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Will not fit, you have a 6.5" round speaker in the back
Old Sep 27, 2007, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It isn't worth the effort, make an adapter and mount a free air 8" from underneath. That is what a 6x9 is trying to be anyway...
Old Sep 28, 2007, 06:15 AM

Nah, I have 2 sets of 7x10's that provide me with what I demand, I like the midbass so much that I bought a back up pair. Just wondered how hard it was to make a decent enough mounting hole or if I'd need to mount them on wood etc.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

the magnets probably won't clear the trunk bars. it just isn't worth the audio abortion that would take place. The deck is also very thin and not a great baffle. Oval speakers are so 70's...
Old Sep 28, 2007, 09:44 AM

Whatever they are they are fine for me and millions more and already purchased! Cost me £118 for the first set, new and £100 for the second, second hand. There's no limit to their power handling and not many cars these days have audible midbass outside of the vehicle which actually defines the bass.

Just had a look at the existing holes, I think clearance for the large magnets is ok, the problem may be that I can't get a flat hold for the speakers. Wish there were pods that could be screwed in.

Are the 100 watt JVC ovals the standard EVO IV rear speakers?
Old Sep 28, 2007, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Definitely not. Watch the power handling on multi element speakers too. they are often the highest number or sum of the power handling of each driver. total marketing BS and not realistic.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 12:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BillAce
Definitely not. Watch the power handling on multi element speakers too. they are often the highest number or sum of the power handling of each driver. total marketing BS and not realistic.
+1 on that. If that doesn't make sense, it's basically the "Road Gear", "Pyle", "California", or any other brand you see at the back of your favorive general auto parts place. They are the amps or subs that claim to put out 1000 watts yet they cost $59.99 or somehting like that.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

gotta love wrong information...

the rear deck and front drivers are both 6.75 from the factory. because 6.75 is a strange size almost everybody upgrades to 6.5 and uses a ring or other method to fit them.

and speaker that's not round SUCKS, so you're doing yourself a favor to upgrade.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Just because a speaker isn't round doesn't mean it sucks. Ever hear of Martin Logan or Wilson...

Oval speakers really only exist in car audio or size constrained devices like TV's and alarm clocks. Surface area is the biggest indicator of frequency response. By making a speaker oval you can get a wider range of frequencies in a smaller area. They were really developed for cars with the intent of giving acceptable performance in the dash or rear deck.

When the cassette was introduced there was a demand for better frequency response because there was a new medium that could reproduce it. Audio engineers at the car manufacturers knew they needed an 8" driver to play the lowest possible frequency response of a cassette recording properly. It was pretty much impossible to fit in the current car designs so they streched the speaker and made them oval since they had plenty of width in the mounting locations but not enough depth. These 6x9's were capable of playing the content perfectly fine and as well as a round speaker could have. Jensen made a ton of money by adding a mid and tweeter with the Jensen Triaxial that they must have sold a million of...Then all the other guys started the 5 way 800 watt, 6" mounting depth garbage to capitalize on the market.

CD came along and all of the sudden the 6x9 was just not good enough to play back the extended range. That didn't stop the car makers for using them and factory car audio sucked. This was great for the aftermarket and there was a huge boom in the industry. The car makers first started making it difficult to change equipment and then just started putting in better factory systems.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

you even state that it's a compromise in design.

an oval has a different radius depending on where you measure which will cause a number of problems as now the wave lengths are no longer correct. In many cases the speaker will end up fighting itself and distort because the movement is no longer linear and the wave pattern varies across the cone. You can be very sure that no recording studio is mastering on oval speakers and so how are you going to reproduce what they have intended?

the whole reason for a 6x9 is to give a greater surface area but the cost is too high when it comes to the sound quality. maybe you don't care, but the compromise is there... call it an ignorance is bliss argument if you wish.

what do I run in my rear deck? Nothing at all... I have components up front and a sub in the trunk because all of my source material is 2 channel and when I go to a concert the band plays in front of me, not behind me.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

I'm going to bet that I have more experience with car audio sound quality than you. Exactly how many Sound Quality World Champions have you built or tuned. I am just not an audio snob and know that in a system with a typical CD player that has a S/N of 92 at best, poor speaker locations causing reflections, phase shifts and cancellations in a car, the oval speaker is not the limiting factor. If he was building a competition worthy system it would be a different story and the midbass (correctly identified BTW) output wouldn't be the most important thing. In a stock based audio system the extra cone area will improve the sound more than using the stock replacement round speaker. I gave a recommendation before it was known that he already has the equipment and using it will be better than if he didn't with his stock based setup...

If I was an audio snob I would have asked him why the hell he's installing rear speakers.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

just because it's not in a contest doesn't meant that it's acceptable to use bad logic.

give the same $$$ I'll always recommend spend twice up front (amp and speakers) and nothing out back (vs. 4 average speakers and a 4 channel amp).

I'm not an audio contest guy, but I did place first in the only SQ contest I entered (I didn't even know the car show was doing audio). I do my homework and listen to as many setups as I can. I buy used parts from friends who upgrade and always ask for advice on how to improve.

If had people like me yelling at me years ago I would have saved a lot of money and misdirected effort.

Quick Reply: Do 6x9's fit on the rear shelf? (IV)