Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Loudest 12" sub for 1cf sealed enclosure??

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2007, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loudest 12" sub for 1cf sealed enclosure??

im looking for the loudest (SQL) pair of 12s for my box (2 cf sealed, separate chambers). i have an mtx 1501d (1500watts) to run them. so far im thinking about the Fi Car Audio q series or Alpine type X. what would you guys recommend? feel free to post other subs that you think are better as well.
Old Dec 1, 2007, 09:32 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For strictly SQ, the new Polk SR series subs sound really darn good and would be a perfect fit in your box.
Old Dec 2, 2007, 05:02 AM
Evolved Member

w6 needs a little more air

Memphis mojo may be close

Solobaric may need a bit more air but will be loud with SQ

Diamond are gonna be more SQ

Image Dynamics gets my vote for your box size and SQL requirements.

Resonant Engineering would be my second choice.

Followed by some Brahmas from Adire.
Old Dec 2, 2007, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

im also open to a single ported 12 and possibly a 15 if it can fit in the evo trunk facing the rear.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

You can fit a 15.

a single ported 12 will give you the punch you need out of one of the SQ subs.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

im thinking about doing 1 12 ported in 2.2cf tuned to 32hz or 1 15 ported 3.5cf tuned to 32hz, trying to figure out the difference in weight and space the box would take up. subs would pretty much weigh the same.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 09:38 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you decide which sub? A JL Audio 12W6 will work in a 1.5cf enclosure (http://mobile.jlaudio.com/pdfs/7876.pdf) and it would be amazingly loud and tight. And at only 1.5cf, the box would be relatively small and lightweight (especially if you did fiberglass).

I've got a 12W6 in a sealed 1.15cf fiberglass enclosure running off a JL Audio 500/1 and it is extremely loud, tight and musical. I can only imagine how sweet that would sound if it was ported.

Last edited by atombomb33; Dec 5, 2007 at 09:43 PM.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 10:12 PM
Evolving Member

by far 13w7 jl audio
Old Dec 12, 2007, 10:40 AM

Check into a company called TC Sounds. They're OEM manufacturer for Eclipse Fujitsu (Titanium driver line), JL Audio, etc. You can get a really kick *** sub for $250.....I'm not kidding.

www.tcsounds.com Give them a call and see what they recommend.....they'll even provide matching EQ service for you for extra $$$. Tell them your requirements, they'll have a driver for you. They really are doing cutting edge stuff....close to zero distortion sub, etc.

Last edited by toovira; Dec 12, 2007 at 10:42 AM.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

I've got 2 12" Polk Momos each in their own 1cf sealed box...custom by me!
Old Dec 14, 2007, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

JL Audio items are not the loudest out there. They have a zombie like following that will say some of the wildest things sometimes. I like JL because I like JL. Their subs a musical and provide the experience I'm looking for. Truth is, the W7 is probably outdone by the ID Max. I have heard nothing but positive reviews from both camps and the unbiased guys from both camps who have heard both subs usually say the ID Max is a better choice.

I know Critical Mass made a UL 12 carbon sub with a magnesium structure and neodymium magnet that consumed some crazy amount of power. The 12" sub weighed like 16 or 17 lbs but was supposed to use an enclosure of 1.2 cubes while producing an absolutely absurd spl level.
Old Dec 14, 2007, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SLVROZ_03
I've got 2 12" Polk Momos each in their own 1cf sealed box...custom by me!
how does your subs sound facing like that? ever compare it with them facing back?
Old Dec 14, 2007, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NoTec
JL Audio items are not the loudest out there. They have a zombie like following that will say some of the wildest things sometimes. I like JL because I like JL. Their subs a musical and provide the experience I'm looking for. Truth is, the W7 is probably outdone by the ID Max. I have heard nothing but positive reviews from both camps and the unbiased guys from both camps who have heard both subs usually say the ID Max is a better choice.

I know Critical Mass made a UL 12 carbon sub with a magnesium structure and neodymium magnet that consumed some crazy amount of power. The 12" sub weighed like 16 or 17 lbs but was supposed to use an enclosure of 1.2 cubes while producing an absolutely absurd spl level.
i know what you mean about the JL stuff, ive been doing some research on the car audio forums and thinking about changing my set up totally. instead of the spare tire enclosure, im thinking about removing my rear strut brace and doing a rear firing ported enclosure, the only thing im not sure of is what sub set up: 2 10s , 2 12s, or 1 15 ported.

i dont want to add a ton of weight but some weight is ok, so i got to try to make the enclosure as light as possible. subs i am currently looking at are the fi car audio q series, ssa icon, digital designs 9500 series, and the new stereo integrity mag (smallest enclosure at 1.5cf ported for a 12 and lightest subs of all choices).
Old Dec 14, 2007, 07:24 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Subs facing each other is NOT the way to go. Its going to sound like butt because the air being moved by each sub is slamming into the face of the other sub especially that close. Its going to throw it off.

I have a substantial amount of car stereo and electronics knowledge as I used to do alot of that stuff on the side.

I have always loved JL especially the W3 line. I feel they are a VERY clear sounding sub... especially for the money. They have great sound quality and hard crisp bass. They are pretty damn loud when setup correctly in the right box with the right amp and power.

I have had everything you can think of from Pioneer cheap subs to a ton of JL stuff to Kicker L7's and everything in between. Ive ran a ton of different head units, components and amps as well. JL is in my book.

Pioneer for head units, JL components, JL subs and JL amps.

In the end its your choice and this is just my opinion.
Old Dec 14, 2007, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

appreciate the post Jrod, what would you suggest for a loud, clean, deep, hard hitting system in the evo without adding a ton of weight? my mtx amp puts out 1500watts @ 1 ohm, so i need subs that can handle the power. mostly looking for how to set the system up.

Quick Reply: Loudest 12" sub for 1cf sealed enclosure??