Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

JL 6.5" Subs in Parcel Shelf?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2007, 10:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay fine....I'll go off topic a little as well....haha!...my home stuff:

Sony Bravia 52XBR2 LCD
Denon 2807 receiver
Denon 3910 DVD player
Toshiba HD-A2 HD-DVD player
Paradigm Studio 20 v.3 fronts
Paradigm CC470 v.3 center channel
Paradigm Mini Monitor rear satellites
SVS PB12-Plus/2 sub
DirecTV HR20-700 HD-DVR

and to get back on topic...my car equipment (or soon to be when it is all installed...haha!)

Premier DEH-P780MP with iPod control box
2 sets of Focal 165K2P components
Alpine PDX1.1000 amplifier
Alpine PDX4.150 amplifier
Audiocontrol EQS equalizer
JL Audio 12w7

can't wait to get the car system installed...then I can have audio bliss in home and car. As for a sub rattling the trunk, this can be avoided and you are not losing bass response by firing towards the rear of the car (in fact, this is how it should be done in an optimum setup). low frequency soundwaves are very long and thus tend to wrap over the car as opposed to the high frequencies. As a result, if you fire into the cab, in essence, you may lose some of the frequency response, as well as some of the tonality (effective as a "boom" subwoofer, but not great for sound quality....just becomes a one note wonder). Firing towards the rear of the car, when properly setup, will blend seamlessly with the rest of a system even if running a 15" sub, will have impact when called for, and with the proper amount of sound deadening material in the trunk area, you will get no rattling.
Old Dec 27, 2007, 10:50 PM
Evolved Member

ya the trunk rattling is ppl that have maximum bass on a minimum budget. those are the bad apples in the car audio world. they make us audio enthusiasts look bad like it's wrong to have more than a stock system in ur car + they roll thru neighborhoods @ 12am or later pissing off ppl. uncool

OP, u have thousands of options in ur case. heck u could go old school & even fab up 6x9's in boxes & use ur rear deck for porting...
Old Dec 27, 2007, 10:55 PM
Evolved Member

Well I'm not much of a SQ guy. Maybe when it comes to my family ride but the Evo I decided to get experimental. I want to avoid a sub box at all cost. I use my trunk way too much. Plus I'm way too lazy to pull it out for trackdays. I'm hoping the Tang bands will give me the sound I'm looking for. If it doesn't then Oh well I tried.
Old Dec 28, 2007, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SCEvol8
can't wait to get the car system installed...then I can have audio bliss in home and car. As for a sub rattling the trunk, this can be avoided and you are not losing bass response by firing towards the rear of the car (in fact, this is how it should be done in an optimum setup). low frequency soundwaves are very long and thus tend to wrap over the car as opposed to the high frequencies. As a result, if you fire into the cab, in essence, you may lose some of the frequency response, as well as some of the tonality (effective as a "boom" subwoofer, but not great for sound quality....just becomes a one note wonder). Firing towards the rear of the car, when properly setup, will blend seamlessly with the rest of a system even if running a 15" sub, will have impact when called for, and with the proper amount of sound deadening material in the trunk area, you will get no rattling.
Au contrare......

Firing into the cabin with a properly sealed off trunk is optimum for sound quality. But you did state correctly that it flattens out the bass response and makes for more even notes throughout the subwoofers operating frequencies. Thus making it more 'precise' for SQ applications.

Rod Munch, it sounds like you are looking for a SQ type set-up. Stick with a single 10 and a sealed box. An Elemental Designs or Diamond Audio 10 would be great. You may even be satisfied with an Image Dynamics. Give us a price range that you wanna spend and we'll help as much as possible.

Also, please note that a car has way less than optimal acoustics and can be very touchy to get theater like sound out of that type of environment. You can still get good sound, but going off into the high end realm of car audio is time consuming and can get expensive. Besides, I'm sure most will agree with me, the Evo is an audio nightmare. Little to no sound deadening, BOVs, loud exhausts, thin metal and cheap lightweight plastics make it a less than desirable evironment.
Old Dec 28, 2007, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LayinLo
Besides, I'm sure most will agree with me, the Evo is an audio nightmare. Little to no sound deadening, BOVs, loud exhausts, thin metal and cheap lightweight plastics make it a less than desirable evironment.
+1,000,000,000
Old Dec 31, 2007, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks, guys. (Been off-line for a while.) So now I'm thinking I'll go with a box in the trunk, but I want it fairly small. I was looking at maybe just spending a little more than the $300 I originally posed, and getting the JL 8-inch 8W7 sub, in a ported or sealed eBay box spec'd for that particular sub.

The JL 8W7 sub driver sells all day on eBay for under $300 new and shipped, and a perfectly-sized eBay 8W7 sub box is about $100 shipped. Any thoughts?

And LayinLo, do you think the Elemental Designs or Diamond Audio 10 would sound very clean? I just don't want some cheap boomy thing in the trunk, nor a huge box. Does anyone make a good custom box for the Elemental Designs or Diamond Audio 10? Those things sure are cheaply priced, compared to the JL W7 series.

Thanks.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Later: The Elemental Designs stuff looks really nice. Great web site and on-line chat. Tempted to score one of their 10" subs (110), sealed enclosures (0.5 CF)and then ... starting to go nuts, looking at their Nine2X amp (one for the fronts and one for the subs) and their 6.5 component speakers.

Love how they offer package deals. Hmmm. LayinLo, do you think I'd go wrong just blowing my wad with, er, ED?

Edit: Now I see they have some 7" infinite-baffle subs that could drop into the parcel shelf ... full circle here .. brain locking up ... analysis paralysis.

(Aargh. Freaking hate this. Too many damn choices!!)

Last edited by Rod Munch; Dec 31, 2007 at 11:49 AM.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 02:13 PM
Evolving Member

I think the 8w7 would be a decent choice....definetely more extension than a 6.5". Still not quite the "oomph" of a 10", but enough to get you some lows.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

well now that you are open to more options, i say u can do a couple things:

1) go back thru my earlier posts & look at the small enclosures i found you.

2) if u don't favor those then u have quite a few options such as Infinity Kappa Perfect, JL, Diamond Audio or Image Dynamics. Focal is good too but on the high end. since u want a small box, get a small sub. here's an example
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_s...p?series_id=22
the JL 8W0 is a good choice for just wanting a lil bump w/out the boom. i've seen them online for as low as $98shipped & since they only weigh 5lbs, u can fab a small sealed box.

3) an old school option is to run multiple small midbass drivers. when i had the '05, i needed the full trunk so i fabbed a box from scratch using 5 6.5"midbasses from www.partsexpress.com & bolted it to the bottom of shelf firing down. it did ok & i only ran 100W RMS to it. i actually got it to play down to 50Hz which was more than enuff for 90% of music out there.

4) u can also go with a Dynaudio Esotec System 362 setup mounting the 8" woofers in kick panels on the floor under the dash. that way u don't touch the trunk at all!!!! here's the link but they are pricey & worth every penny... http://www.dynaudio.com/eng/auto/esotec/362.php
this setup has a range of 40-25KHz & 200W RMS continuous!!!!
Old Dec 31, 2007, 09:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SCE Evol8
Are you sure about firing the sub box towards the rear of the car? I'm in the process of installing a system in my Evo and I've been told by the local installers to fire the box towards the front of the car. On the DLS website they are recommending to the front of the car on sedans and on hatchback styles, towards the back http://www.dls.se/econtent/files/56/tipseng.pdf. I'm just looking for advice on how to do the sub box correctly.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 11:35 PM
Evolving Member

Yes, I'm sure. I was thinking about firing into the cab, but in doing so, it would create more problems that a sound studio program would have to rectify. I am going to fire towards the rear as it will provide a more transparent bass sound when coupled with my standalone EQ and the professional calibration. You can fire into the cab as indicated in posts above, but in my opinion (having heard may sedans firing into the cab and many firing towards the rear), I prefer the sound of a rear firing sub. It just sounds more natural to me. If you want more "boom" and maximum volume, fire into the cab. Just my thoughts on that.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont know what hapined in the last 2 post , But Corner laoding a sub WILL give more output .
Now with the evo if you face the sub'(s) to the rear it should be louder as long as the sub box itself isnt blocking off the trunk from the cabin . But when doing this the trunk will rattle and sound like poo on the outside .
If you build a box , face it foward and "seal" it off from the trunk a couple of thing should happin
A less out put
B way less trunk rattling

And that dls wedsite , Hatchbacks are wonderful for subs and you would be crazy not to do rear facing subs , Shoot you can gain allmost 3 DB corner loading in a HB !

The best advice is build a box , put in the trunk facing foward listen (I would try to seal it off from the trunk).
Then face it to the rear about 6" from the rear and you make the call
Old Jan 2, 2008, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great advice matt55, thanks.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 05:55 PM
Evolving Member

Great advice matt....couldn't have said it better myself. However, you can have a high output rear facing sub that won't rattle a trunk as long as you put the proper amount of sound deadening in the trunk at the proper spots....but then you run into other problems like I did in my Honda del Sol....haha! You don't want to pressurize the trunks in those too much because the trunk lid will literally seperate from the support braces. Don't know if that is an issue in Evo's.
Old Jan 3, 2008, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SCEvol8
If you want more "boom" and maximum volume, fire into the cab. Just my thoughts on that.
I'm sorry but I have to disagree on this one. Time and time again it has been proven that the above statement is false.

Please look at some of the IASCA SQ winners set-ups.

The db drags and etc are a different animal in itself.

To Rod Munch: The elemental designs sub and Diamond are more of a SQ sub. They reproduce low end frequencies accurately as does the JL w7 series. I don't you can go wrong with any of those. Price will be a factor, and you will be getting your moneys worth with the JL.

Quick Reply: JL 6.5" Subs in Parcel Shelf?