Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

JL 6.5" Subs in Parcel Shelf?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2008, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, all. Update: I have looked at everyone's helpful posts and links, and tried to come to some sort of a decision amongst a bewildering array of options.

I am now about to pull the trigger on a 10-inch Elemental Designs (ED) sub and an ED box designed for it. The sub (110.v2) is a beast with a 20-pound magnet and the carpeted, down-firing box is only 0.5 CF, sealed. They also sell a nice bridgeable two-channel amp (Nine.2) that goes well with the sub, so I'm getting that, too.

So ... I guess that's a done deal, but I have not actually placed the order, so if someone has any strong criticisms of my choices I'd be curious to hear them.

The next item on my agenda is the front speakers (6.5" components). I think maybe I'll start a new thread on that choice in a minute, or do a search. Thanks again to everyone for your wonderful help.
Old Jan 3, 2008, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

Hopefully this will help:

DIY: Which Speakers?

Make sure you listen to the speakers. Everyone has an opinion about which are best, but you should decide which suit your music style. Good luck and keep us informed......remember, we love pics!!!
Old Jan 3, 2008, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

Good stuff; thanks. I have read that, and I'm pretty familiar with most of those notions. My biggest problem is I live in a pretty small town when it comes to hi-fi; I usually have to buy things without auditioning them. I have bought and sold dozens of home stereo and A/V items over the years, finding out what I like best. Usually, I was not able to listen first. Also, I hate listening to car stereo gear in a store, like on a big Wall O Speakers; it just does not seem to represent the same environment as any car, much less my specific car. And I freaking hate chain stores like Best Buy, and noisy, lousy listening rooms.

A perfect example is Elemental Designs. There is no way I can audition their gear around here. I simply have no way to do it. Same for much of the JL line.

Bottom line is, stupid as it may be, I will most likely make my car stereo buying choices based upon other people's opinions and my impressions of the items' attributes and build quality, rather than auditions. I know that's not ideal, but it's how I tend to roll.

I do know, from experience, that to my ears one good amp sounds much the same as another. Ditto quality subs, although to a lesser extent. The main area of audible difference is, to me, drivers in the normal listening frequenices, above 120 Hz or so.
Old Jan 3, 2008, 09:02 PM
Evolving Member

subs are one thing. Mid's and tweeters are a completely different beast. I have a hard time recommending mids and tweeters to people without them having the ability to listen to them. I love Focal speakers, but many feel they are too harsh....and surprisingly many think they rather warm sounding. I think they are pretty neutral and absolutely love the sound....others hate them. You really need to research some brands and then do what you can to listen to them if you plan on investing any considerable money on the seperates.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 10:42 AM
Evolving Member

From my experience, mounting JL 6.5 woofers (sub?) on the rear parcel shelf will cause your rear wipers to vibrate and rattle which will be annoying and will get on your t1ts.

Get a sub in the boot and you will have no regrets.
Small sub boxes can be custom made and can weigh as little as 4.5kg and cover 25L volume which is the minimum on many subs recommendation.

Sound deading the boot floor is mandatory IMHO if you want sub bass.

6.5 woofers are better off in the front doors but they will require sound deading.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks! I did wind up ordering the eD 10" sub with a 0.5 CF enclosure for the trunk, a set of 6.5" DLS MS6A components, and a pair of eD NINe.2 amps. The sub arrived last night and everything else arrives today, except for the box. My order included a ton of sound deadening liquid and foam. I'll report back when it's installed, prolly with pix.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 04:42 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You better post pics or you get this...

Old Jan 9, 2008, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, I'll be upset if you don't post a few pics!
Old Jan 9, 2008, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rod Munch
Thanks! I did wind up ordering the eD 10" sub with a 0.5 CF enclosure for the trunk, a set of 6.5" DLS MS6A components, and a pair of eD NINe.2 amps. The sub arrived last night and everything else arrives today, except for the box. My order included a ton of sound deadening liquid and foam. I'll report back when it's installed, prolly with pix.
let us know how that sounds!

i'm still running older 10k eD subs (with weaved flat woofer)
Old Jan 11, 2008, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Will do; thanks. Check my latest thread on the install issues.
Old Sep 1, 2008, 06:18 PM

What if I put the 6 1/2" JL sub in the back parcel and used a speaker baffle? I have an RS so I don't have any wipers in the back.
Old Sep 1, 2008, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

I would seal off the rear deck (if there's any holes between the cabin and trunk) and lay down a couple layers of sound deadening and you should be fine. They do really need to be enclosed though. They're not designed to play free-air. I don't know for a fact, but I doubt 2 6 1/2" subs in the rear deck will actually rattle your wipers if you had them. I have a single 10 in my trunk and it hasn't rattled the wiper yet.
Old Sep 1, 2008, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

Any word on the Tangs?
Old Sep 10, 2008, 05:48 PM
Evolving Member

I would think a pair of JL 6.5" would work fine I was running a single JL 8w7 and was plenty happy.