Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Effective Areas to dynamat an Evo?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2008, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Inprogress
Edead is significantly cheaper then raammatt and has gotten some great reviews from the rsx crowd.

Also, when on elemental designs home page, if you type discounts in the search bar, it'll pull 2 links for their deadening products with a nice discount !
edesign has been super shady with their crap, and rather support raamaudio, who's been doing sound deadening for years
Old Jan 22, 2008, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmm, I may take that into consideration. Ive been really disappointed with their products, I had my entire car raammatted when I had the sti. We'll see though, I'm up for suggestions.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

when doing the front doors since they have speakers you do the outer skin as well as the inner skin correct?

what about the rear doors? inner, outer or both?
Old Jan 22, 2008, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

That's been answered on page 2 lol
Old Jan 24, 2008, 08:10 AM
Evolving Member

I'm interested in matting the floor and trunk for exhaust / road noise. Approximately how much weight will that add to the car?
Old Jan 24, 2008, 08:17 AM
Evolving Member

Edead is significantly cheaper then raammatt and has gotten some great reviews from the rsx crowd.
But rsx's are inherently less noisy than evo's
Old Jan 24, 2008, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kingman4
But rsx's are inherently less noisy than evo's
Not when you are running a 3" catless turboback system on a turbo'd RSX
Old Jan 25, 2008, 07:37 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kingman4
I'm interested in matting the floor and trunk for exhaust / road noise. Approximately how much weight will that add to the car?
Going to answer my own question... around 20-40 lbs depending on how much I plan to put down. Many different kinds / grades of matting and each weighs a different amount... for example B Quiet Ultimate is .35lbs/sqft so that's 21lbs for 60 sq ft... However for some super thick sound deadening, it may weigh up to 1lb/sqft!
Old Jan 25, 2008, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

That's been answered on page 2 lol
says to do both in and outter on the front doors to keep the mid bass...

so do the same on the rear doors even though theres no speakers in them?
Old Feb 4, 2008, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

once the weather gets alil warmer(so no need for heatgun), im gonna by some damplifier pro... double-layer on the trunk floor to exhaust noise, single layer on the trunk firewall, trunk roof and inside fender. most likely not doing doors or floor as im dreading removing panels
Old Feb 5, 2008, 12:08 AM
Evolved Member

well i was just concerned about my trunk rattling from my subs. i dynamatted the trunk floor and the trunk lid. the only rattle i got was from my tail lights and license plate bracket so i put extra dynamat on those areas.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mifesto
once the weather gets alil warmer(so no need for heatgun), im gonna by some damplifier pro... double-layer on the trunk floor to exhaust noise, single layer on the trunk firewall, trunk roof and inside fender. most likely not doing doors or floor as im dreading removing panels
hey wicked E, ur my sound deadening hero... comment on my plans man!
Old Feb 5, 2008, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

What did you want to know??

Honestly, I don't think your plan is going to negate much of the noise. Remember, sound move from bottom up and side to side. If you choose not to do the floors and/or sides then there really is no benefit to what you're doing.

The easiest panels to remove in the Evo are the door panels. I don't see why you wouldn't remove them and get some matting in there.

I posted everything in a post above for the OP on what your goals are and how to attack it.

Waiting until it is warm to not have to use a heat gun is okay but I would leave the matting out in the sun before you apply it. Also, buy yourself a hard roller. You'll thank me later...
Old Feb 5, 2008, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

but you said do most of the trunk to reduce the exhaust drone..... isnt that what i said? double layer on trunk floor, single layer on trunk sidewall/firewall and trunk hatch? ill get a hard roller, thx
Old Feb 5, 2008, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by robyn402
says to do both in and outter on the front doors to keep the mid bass...

so do the same on the rear doors even though theres no speakers in them?
Are the rear does a part of the car?

Guys, I cannot say this enough times... I don't mean to sound like an *** but if you're going to do this one time, do it right...

If your goals are to have a car as quiet as a Cadillac then mat the WHOLE care from top to bottom side to side. It's a little un-realistic but you get my point.

Remember, sound travels up...

For example, the exhaust system is under the car... It finds itself between the road and a tin can... The road bounces the sound back UP and it hits the car. Now you have the exhaust noise traveling up through the car, hence why you put deadening on the floors. Most vehicles have their exhaust systems exiting the rear of the vehicle via the muffler and/or a tip. Where does this usually terminate? You guessed it, under the trunk. Hence why I suggest matting the trunk area to eliminate exhaust noise as well. You can actually get 3 benefits out of doing the trunk area, one eliminate exhaust noise, two eliminate road noise, three keeps your bass inside the car if you have a 50 Cent bumping sub system.

For sounds quality of a system, think about the speakers. Which way are the speakers sound waves moving? They're moving outward... Thus, the sound is going to travel through the doors most likely. If you've ever been in a car and listened to a sound system before and after a matting, you notice you can hear the radio better and don't have to blast the volume to at least hear it. This is why I recommend matting the door skins to force the speaker's sound to travel INTO the car.

Lastly, where is the ultimate place that all this sweet humming coming from? You guessed it, the engine bay. Hence why I recommend matting the feet areas as close to the firewall as possible.

It really is all common sense and I understand some things just take a little learning to grasp. Just think about WHAT you are trying to accomplish and/or eliminate and think about how it travels like I explained above. There really is no secret to deadening a car.

The ONLY offset of doing it is weight. If you're conscious about weight due to drag racing or road tracking. You may not want to do as much matting.

My car will only see a road track once a year IF that. I am not a hard core drag racer but will drag it maybe 1-2 times a year IF that. So the weight issue was not a big factor for me when I matted my car. Like a poster above said, this stuff can get up to 1lb/sq ft. Think about that for a minute... 1 12x12 sized tile that weighs 1lb in your car. Now put 60 of the tiles in your car in one spot...

Some things to think about.

Quick Reply: Effective Areas to dynamat an Evo?