Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Small Project - One Big Issue

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2008, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Small Project - One Big Issue

So I'm trying to make a simple system that will roll up the windows automatically when the key is taken out. I'm figuring out the details on the drivers door. I've got the wires tapped that roll the window up, and I've got a switch mounted that is closed when the window goes all the way up (touching the glass). The window rolls up fine when the tapped wires are connected (2 ground wires together and 2 power wires together, as per the manual) and the switch box is not connected. However, if you connected the switch box (the panel with the window roll ups and door locks) to the wire harness, and then touch the wires together in the same way they spark and the window does not roll up. Does anybody have any ideas as to why this might be happening? All of the wiring is perfect, no shorts (save the short that happens when the wires are connected with the box connected).

Possible idea: Maybe somehow the circuit inside the switch box hinders the ground connection?

If anybody is well versed in the 2003 evo's electrical system, I'd love the help. I've got the service manual, so if you need to reference it to help me, feel free.

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 06:59 PM

Figured out why it is not working. (Sorry for the double post.)
So I need help to figure out the best way to bypass this big problem.

Contacts 8 and 13 are connected while 9 and 12 are connected to roll the window up. 13 is positive and 12 is the ground.

When the stock switch is in the off position contacts 8-12, 9-12, and 8-9 are connected. Therefore 8, 9, and 12 are connected.

So when I connect my tap of 8-13 and 9-12, 13 (the positive wire) connects to 8, 9, and 12 (the ground) as well (because the stock switch is in the off position). Therefore 12 and 13 are directly connected and create a short.

I can't think of how to fix this problem without installing a relay before 8, 9, 12, and 13 that turns power off to the stock switches when I want to active my tap. However, 4 relays is a ton of work to do for something that I think might be a little simpler (I just can't think of how to fix this.) Any help is appreciated.

Edit: Rather than connecting relays to all 4 wires, connecting relays to just 8 and 9 would create the same effect. It wouldn't allow power or ground from the circuit to effect 8 or 9.

Even better than that... If I just hooked up a relay to 8, then 8-12 and 8-9 couldn't connect in the stock switch box, allowing only 9-12 to connect with the switch in the off position. 9-12 has to be connected anyway, it's the ground for window roll up and then I could connect 8 and 13 without a problem.

I still don't want to use a relay for this though, any ideas?

Last edited by EricH; Apr 4, 2008 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Thinking Too Much
Old Apr 7, 2008, 11:35 PM

and here is the schematic for what I'll probably have to do. The connections above the wire harness represent the window switches in the off position.

Still... 4 relays... grr.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 10:51 PM

have you looked into a seperate unit like the DEI 529T. it is used as an alarm add on to roll up windows,close sun roofs etc... it has the relays built in so there is less wiring to hide. in theory all you would need is an "activation signal" (i.e. the "lock" button on your key pad if you have they keyless entry system)
Old Apr 9, 2008, 05:35 AM
Evolving Member

i would go with the 529T and have it activate (orange wire off the unit) whenever you shut the vehicle off, only bad thing is, if it's hot, you cannot leave the windows down.

Do it off the lock on your alarm and you should be fine, not the lock on your keyless, cause that would just keep rolling your windows up whenever you pressed lock inside of the vehicle.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by weaponstroop
have you looked into a seperate unit like the DEI 529T. it is used as an alarm add on to roll up windows,close sun roofs etc... it has the relays built in so there is less wiring to hide. in theory all you would need is an "activation signal" (i.e. the "lock" button on your key pad if you have they keyless entry system)
I've got a AstroStart system hooked up that could be used with the 529T, but this is more of a project to see if I can do it myself.

Originally Posted by mymigi
Do it off the lock on your alarm and you should be fine, not the lock on your keyless, cause that would just keep rolling your windows up whenever you pressed lock inside of the vehicle.
Yea, that's actually a perfect idea. I might later on add the ability to roll them down from the remote (there are a lot of unused controls on my AstroStart remote system).

Edit: How does the 529T know when the window is rolled up all the way?

Last edited by EricH; Apr 9, 2008 at 01:01 PM.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 08:50 PM

the 529T works off of resistance inside the unit. if you are thinking of adding windows up later i would suggest a 530T now. it does 2 windows up and down (assuming you have an unused channel on your alarm.) both 529T and 530T have easy directions to follow. all you need are the wiring diagrams for your alarm and the units come with them. if you can figure out how wire relays into the system the 529 or 530 will be cake.
Old Apr 12, 2008, 06:49 PM

did any of this help or did you give up? i am here to help if you need it.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 04:47 PM

I've gotten two dpdt relays to roll the window up.

Now i just need to install a limit switch to know when the window is all the way up and figure out what I want to active it (key removal or doors being locked by the remote).