Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

wiring diagram for evo9MR

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2008, 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
wiring diagram for evo9MR

Hey guys,
I did a bit of searching and all I could come up with are old threads with broken links. Does anyone have access to a 9MR wiring diagram. I am trying to chase down a front left parking light that doesn't work, and the HIDs don't level by the dial anymore. It was a used car, and all the lights fixture wires and plug test fine.

I need to work my way back into the harness now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

M
Old Nov 22, 2008, 11:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Start by checking the body ground located in the R/F of the engine compartment. It's the ground that's bolted to the inside of the right front fender right beside the power steering pump reservoir under the a/c piping. This ground is common to both your HID level system and your L/F marker light. Even if it looks good, unbolt it and sand down the contact points at the body and the ground wire connector. Let me know if this works for you.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 12:00 AM
Evolving Member

trace the pin out wire from the AEM website
Old Nov 24, 2008, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

jahnnybravo - I went ahead and checked all the grounds I could find, cleaned them, and they had no change.

I also folloed the sticky about the white wiring harness in the drivers kickpanel, but that thing is clean with no indication of water. The fender wall seal seem very factory still and dry.

I would like to test where in that white harness the parking light or HID leveler wire would be. Just to make it more troublesome, while working on tracing the parking light at some point the HID leveler (of the other light not removed from the car) started sporadically working. But then at the end of the day of chasing, that didn't work either. Again.

P-Roy - Can you point me to a place on the AEM site that I can find that info. I looked around and read for a while on the forum, but not luck.

Thanks
M
Old Nov 24, 2008, 07:52 PM

Ok. Let's do it the right way. Did you test the marker light connector for power and ground? If so, let me know which one you're missing, the battery voltage or the continuity to ground. I jumped the gun with the ground connector because it was an obvious common link with the affected circuits. We can PM if you'd like instead of posting. Your choice. Let's see if we can figure this out...
Old Nov 24, 2008, 11:02 PM
Evolved Member

Yup, tested both wires. Ground seems to be good, but tonight I took apart the other light, that is working correctly, and could identify that the one with the issue must have been worked on, because the power lead is spliced in with another wire. The other light does not have that. The loom to the marker light was spliced and the colors don't match exactly as the other side. So I have to assume someone had an issue and tried to repair by splicing into the turn signal. I will send pics tomorrow to follow up, because I know its not clear in text.

We tested the wires all the way back to the switch stalk for continuity, and they are good. We then tested which lead gets the 12V when the parking light is turned on, and the one that does is not the one that ends up at the marker light, but rather the one to the power for the HID leveler motor. We decided to take apart the Main plug that feeds the light assembly and flip the pins so the marker would get the 12V. Tested and that worked. This is a real ghetto fix, but so far I haven't identified what isn't working from the switch. ?

My conclusion at least tonight is that the splicing someone did at the back of the headlight unit reversed some logic, and switching the pins reverses it back. We laughed about the craptastic fix so far and decided to leave it for a fresh look tomorrow.

Beyond all that the leveler switch in the cab needs replacing as well. We got it to work, but only by wiggling and mashing it.

M
Old Nov 25, 2008, 12:26 AM

Sounds like you've got more than a couple problems, someone's modified the circuits. Well, it may be hard for me to give you any help re-wiring it, but let me know if you need any info, like original wire colors to the different locations etc.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Yes, I know its sounds like a mess, and the type that is nearly impossible to help without having the stuff in your hands.

One thing I forgot to mention that is even more weird is that I assumed plugging in the Passenger Light essembly, which on the car or receiving end the plug wires are the same as the Drivers side, that everything should work in its stock pinout. Oddly, that didn't work. That got us even more stumped, or indicated that something was done to the loom somewhere else that we can't see. However I have most of the car apart, literally. From light stalk to fixture I can see nearly every inch of the wire loom.

If you could provide me the correct colors of the light fixtures, both Drivers and Passengers, that go to the marker light, turn signal, and HID motor, that would be a great comparison. If you would need to take your assembly apart then don't do it, but if you can see it from the bottom, awesome.

This is one of the reasons I was trying to find the schematic. When I have a break from work I will take some pics of the wire/colors.

Thanks
M
Old Nov 25, 2008, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

Here are the shots. The one thing I noticed today is that the wiring on the car side of the main plug is different for the passenger and driver side, which was unexpected. The colors are different.

This first shot shows that the units have the same wiring at the light end. The brown and red are the positive, and the blues splice together into the Black (ground)

This is the Drivers side unit, The side not working until the leads in the plug were swapped.

This is the Passenger side that works fine, but when plugged into the Drivers side doesn't (in the same way the Drivers unit doesn't)

Passenger (working) side loom side plug. Pink, Green, Yellow, Red.

Drivers side loom side plug. Red, Green yellow stripe, Green white stripe, Red.

Drivers side again.

Last edited by fireroasted; Nov 26, 2008 at 11:56 PM. Reason: fix img tags
Old Nov 26, 2008, 09:55 PM

Can't view the pics, but can imagine them just the same Let me get back to you with the wire colors. It's not a problem, just had some late nights, and not much energy left for thinking.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 11:57 PM
Evolved Member

ah crap. I always botch those img links, because on my local machine it works fine. Some weird .mac permission nonsense. Should be fine now.
M
Old Nov 28, 2008, 10:39 PM

OK, here we go. Here's a description of what the wires are supposed to be, according to Mitsubishi . I've included a bit of info to try to help you out. You'll notice that wires DO change color from one part of a circuit to another, and if they do, it's usually at a junction or a connector. Color coding is not always the same between Left and Right side components as you will see. There are many common grounding points in this system. You asked for wiring info for the front signals, marker lights and HID Leveller circuits. The info is all here, but you'll notice that some of the connectors may have more terminals, but these terminals are not part of the circuits in question. Let me know if the info is all here or if you'd like more info...

Turn Signals: Left Turn Signal bulb is powered by a Light Green wire coming from the turn signal relay located inside the Etacs-ECU which is at the underdash junction block. This wire leaves the Etacs-ECU Terminal 5 as a White/Blue wire and changes part way..... The black, of course, is the ground, and is grounded at R/S engine compartment beside the P/S pump.

Right Turn Signal: Powered by a Yellow wire, but starts off as a Purple wire at Terminal 27 at the ETACS-ECU.... Black is grounded at L/S engine bay in front of the fuse box.

Marker light The Left Front Marker light is powered by a Green/Yellow wire that comes from Fuse 21. The Black is grounded at R/F engine bay beside the P/S pump..... The Right Front Marker light is powered by a Green/White wire coming from Fuse 20. Black is grounded at L/S of engine compartment in front of the fuse box.

HID motor connectors: Terminal 1 at both HID motors = red/yellow originating from 20 amp Fuse 19 at your relay box. This red/yellow wire also goes to Terminal 6 of your HID Levelling Switch, but turns into a Green wire before it reaches the switch....... Terminal 6 at both motors is Black and is the ground. The Left motor grounds at L/S of engine bay in front of the fuse block. The Right motor grounds at R/S of engine bay beside the P/S pump....... Terminal 5 at both HID motors is a Green/Yellow wire that comes from the Levelling Switch. This is the control circuit that signals the headlight motors to the different positions. Note that this circuit also changes wire color and is Blue/Red at Terminal 4 of your Levelling Switch..... Terminal 5 of your Levelling Switch is Black and is the ground side, splitting off into 2 grounding points, one inside the dash at the R/S Instrument Panel Crossmember, and the other grounding at the upper L/S of the dash above the Crossmember..... Terminal 3 of your Levelling Switch is Green/White and powers the switch's internal bulb..... Terminal 2 of the Level Switch controls that bulb's intensity and goes to the dimmer switch, and is Black/Yellow.....
Old Nov 29, 2008, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for all the detail!!
Chasing wires today and will report tonight.
M
Old Dec 9, 2008, 12:05 AM
Evolved Member

OK, This took more time than even I thought. I have the units working is the short version, and thanks billion to jahnnybravo.

The chased all the HID lights and they matched your colors exactly. The grounding in almost all cases was the same and those that I could reach well I cleaned well. Though testing revealed that the grounds were good. I then took apart the HID leveling switch.

I did this because with the driverside unplugged I got the passengerside to level or twitch around sporadically. Making the assumption that the passenger side was fine something else had to be the issue. I took the switch apart completely. Cleaned all of the contacts inside and reset the sliding action contacts by bending them for better contact. There was a slight improvement, but not perfect. I ordered a new switch from SouthCoast Mitsu for 24 bucks.

Then I went back to the marker light. The wires didn't trace in exactly the same manner color wise. But, since the color also should go with a power or ground definition I also charted what each wire was doing, and what we needed in total at the switch. Then I referenced what was powered at the plug depending on what I turned on in the cabin. made a chart and through process of elimination figured what needs to go where. The easiest solution was to redo the pins in the plug at the light assembly so that the correct wire coming from the loom met up with the wire that needed that voltage at a certain condition. It works fine now. After the deconstruction I am a little fuzzy on what exactly I changed, but if memory serves correctly I only flipped one set so the marker green/yellow gets 12V when the first click of the stalk is set.

Then I received the new HID switch, plugged it in and all that started working as it should.

Stupid little detail, and major time consuming project, but its completed. Thanks so much for the help!

M