Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Deciding on Speaker setup and amps to power it.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2009, 08:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deciding on Speaker setup and amps to power it.

Well, obviously I searched before posting this. Not much help. But I learned that the alternator does hasve its limits, and that audio is expensive if you want good stuff.

Well, I have abou 500 extra bucks I can spend. With this I hope I could buy new speakers ( front and rear), Amps for the speakers, Wiring, Subwoofers, and amps for the subs.
I already have a bx for 2 12"s...although im not sure that is the road id want to take nor if thats more than enough.

Im a heavy Techno guy. I like to blast lots of EuroDance and Techno music, with extreme bass and Highs, so im looking for a setup to go up with this.

Also, i plan on purchasing everything this upcoming week, via ONLINE, and pref used for a lot ccheaper

What do you audio pro's recomend?

I already have a AVI-C3 I believe or whatever Double Din sitting in my trunk awaiting installment, which I will probably have a professional shop do, which will make me pay $$$$$ out the A**. But better to be wise and elt a professional do it than do it yourself and blow your car up or something.

What do you guys recommend? Everything to be under $500 and be LOUD/Strong(bass wise).
Old Sep 12, 2009, 09:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buy your stuff from ebay and look for the free shipping guys. A budget of $500 its not to bad but you cant go very far with that. Maybe a couple kicker comps, sony explods, or pioneers with a decent amp, Jensen or kenwood. If you wait long enough you might be able to pick up something used for a good price. As for speakers your going to have to run it off the deck unless you find a cheap 4 channel, thats not easy but not impossible. A cheap good speaker brand, maybe kenwood or pioneer.

I suggest buying your subs and amp first since you said you want a booming sound. Then see how much you have left and get some speakers. To save money go with a co-axle design over a separate. Although you wont get the best highs it will still be good and save you money.

The whole thing is not to skimp on quality or you will paying more in the long run when you go replace the broken stuff. Good quality car audio will last you a long time.

Also, install it yourself. If you do your home work and such it easy as hell. All my systems I have installed myself and taught myself how to do it. It will save you alot of money too. Stereo shop sometimes charge more for installation then the part cost.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 10:00 PM
Evolved Member

Its really hard to do what you are looking for in that price range. That being said. I would sell the box you have now and pick this up for the sub, amp, and box.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Compl...=p4506.c0.m245

The box is one specifically built by JL for their subs. I had one of these in my lancer but in a 10" model with a 600watt us amp and it hit hard. That would take care of your sub, box, and amp for the sub. Then all you would need would be some nice components.

Then for the components, tweeters, and coaxials I would pick these up http://cgi.ebay.com/PACKAGE-JL-AUDIO...CarQ5fSpeakers

You would just need an amp then to run the speakers. Its a bit more then you said you wanted to spend but you would be getting quality parts at a very good price. Figure about $515 plus whatever you find a speaker amp for.

Last edited by Evodreamer28; Sep 12, 2009 at 10:09 PM.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 05:57 AM

that would be a nice system at a good price. I second going with JL Audio. It's pricey but very nice stuff. I am a huge fan of the slash amps, w6v2 and W7 series.

You should try installing the deck yourself first and if you can't do it, then bring it somewhere, your going to cut into your budget too much if you bring it some where.

Good luck
Old Sep 13, 2009, 06:25 AM
Evolving Member

save at least another $500, at least. well, if you want a quality system that is. to get interior/subs/amps/wiring for that much would be a steal. you could esily drop $500 on qualitly wiring if you wanted. A w7 alone would break your budget.

seriously if you want this -> "What do you guys recommend? Everything to be under $500 and be LOUD/Strong(bass wise). " you will have to spend more.

I would suggest opting out on the interior stuff right now and focus and getting that HU and wiring installed. you should be able to get the HU and wiring instaled for under $150 more like $75. You could always sell your head unit and buy a new one from ultimate electronics and get free instalation and if you buy your wiring at the same time you should be able to bargain them down on the wiring install.

You need to add a capacitor to that list. a nice one is at least $100, go for a better one though, you get what you pay for.

remember building a quality audio system is like upgrading your internals, you get what you pay for. It's always good to work it like an engine build. Get a plan together and stick to your goals. it may take quite a bit longer to complete, but you will be more satisfied in the end.

If you opt out of the interior first, then once your sub is all set up you can match your components to the system you have started. Also since you will be pulling door panels for your interior you may as well get dynamat and do it all right. Whats the point of spending all that loot on audio if you can't hear it in our (usually) loud as cars. At least do your front doors, floors, rear deck, and trunk.

GL on the system, I said it twice, i'll say it again, you get what you pay for in this field.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 06:41 AM

JL amps and Subs, MB Quart speakers
Old Sep 13, 2009, 08:18 AM
Evolving Member

Well I got a kenwood last night ( headunit) and it completely changed the way my factory speakers are playing. With some playing around with the different frequency modes and tuning and all, Its pretty damn loud, and a nice sound.
I also got a steal of a deal.. a JL Audo 400W 4 channel ( ill get the part number later). Its hooked up to a Flash Sub I got for free ( that crappy stuff thats like 40 bucks at aflea market) Its weak as heck but better than stock, as for the amp, its amazing.

Its a 600 dollar amp, that I got for 100 bucks
And the guy installed my headunit and amp and everything and gave me cables.. and charged me 20 for installing it all.
He said his friend got a nice JL sub, or 2 rather, and I have a box for them, so hes gonna bring them buy monday ( 75 bucks a piece I think he said they cost) and have them installed, then I just need to find a set of copmonent speakers im looking into the ones you showed me evodreamer, thanks a lot bud!) and another amp to just power the sub and im set.
Plus, due to an ebay auction selling my budgets increased a bit but I think im going to keep that money towards a C/F lip, Hood, and trunk.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 08:19 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for all the Help though guys! Your wonderful people
Old Sep 13, 2009, 08:30 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Personally, if I was starting with $500, I would start with the mids and highs, and get the other stuff later. $500 isn't a lot to work with for a complete system. In my old Evo i had a complete set of CDT Audio all the way around with a G6600 JL Audio amp. I also had 2 10" JL Audio w6's in there. Long story short I ended up taking out the subs because the CDT Audio sounded great without them. There wasn't a need for all that extra weight in the back because I wasn't gaining a ton. You can get last year's CDT Audio for a little cheaper than normal. Normally it's about $450 for a set of components.

http://www.woofersetc.com/p4894/EF61...5-Tweeters.htm & http://www.woofersetc.com/p5574/M6+-...ss-Drivers.htm for the back. Those will blow your mind.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

from what i hear, dont bother changing the rear speakers. just dump your money into nice front speakers with tweets.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 11:57 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
I don't know where you heard that. The rear speakers suck. Hardly any magnet to them, and as soon as you put amp power to them they will blow that paper cone right out. They are garbage.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 12:24 PM
Evolving Member

all the speakers in evo's are garbage. my 1993 mazda 626 had a better stock audio system
Old Sep 13, 2009, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

If you are going to end up buying those two JL subs, try to find out what model they are so we can recommend the proper amp to go with them. If the JL amp you got is a 450/4v2 that would be perfect for the components/coaxials. The output on that amp is 75 x 2 @ 4ohms which is more then enough to run the speakers I posted.

Last edited by Evodreamer28; Sep 13, 2009 at 03:25 PM.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by migs647
I don't know where you heard that. The rear speakers suck. Hardly any magnet to them, and as soon as you put amp power to them they will blow that paper cone right out. They are garbage.
what i meant was instead of replacing the rear speakers, i would rather keep them and spend more money in the sound up front (where pretty much you would spend most of the time in your own car). but if you insist in spending more, then go ahead and buy the rears.

this idea isnt just for the evo - this is for all cars generally speaking.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 06:06 PM
Evolving Member

The CDT's sound nice, but pricey. I think the JL's would do?
the amp is a e4300.

But, my headunits acting up and not turning off the amp. Junk..
so I had to boost my battery 3 times today because it kept dieing.

Are these any good? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

I like the way they look, but im just wondering wether they will fit or not. Also, I dont need anythign thatll last a lifetime, just as long as its good for the next 6 or 7 months or so, as I will most likely end up selling my car then.

Quick Reply: Deciding on Speaker setup and amps to power it.