Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Electrical Gremlins - symptoms and how to fix

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2013, 05:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Hi to all,
I disassembled the foot kick panels

At first sight I do not see any corrosion.

Can I disconnect the connectors without any side-effect (i.e. SRS lamp coming on)?
Better disconnect first the battery?

My specific issue is the "open doors" lamp not shutting off, which connector should I check better?

Many thanks,
Patric
Old Dec 31, 2013, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by patric78
Hi to all,
I disassembled the foot kick panels

At first sight I do not see any corrosion.

Can I disconnect the connectors without any side-effect (i.e. SRS lamp coming on)?
Better disconnect first the battery?

My specific issue is the "open doors" lamp not shutting off, which connector should I check better?

Many thanks,
Patric

Always disconnect the battery prior to performing electrical work on a vehicle.

As far as which wires or connectors I am away so don't have electrical schematic in front of me.

I would take each apart 1X1 and examine pins for any corrosion then go from there
Old Feb 6, 2014, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is my contribution. First i got a butane thingy from a friend.. After trying this was the wrong way to go.. to much swearing involved..
Then i got these awsome waterproof selfsoldering connections.

All you need now is a wire cutter and a lighter.

The job was done in about 35min, no worry for water getting there, shrinking tube or any other kind of hustle since you get all in one with these!

and YES, you get a propper solderd cable with these!

I got one blank cable without a cable to go with from the other side.. anyone knows what its for? the yellow/red cable still attached.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 02:44 PM

thank your for this post cause i washed my car in my shop a nice 70degrees in there and then i was driving home and BAMMM... wipers started going at first i thought i hit the switch well i didn't i messed with it and never would stop finally had to pull the fuse. but one big question does this also effect the rear wiper? i bought my MR about 3 months ago and it worked for the first 3 days and stopped and i love the rear wiper. but anyways i will post some pics of mine when i get around to it.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 06:15 PM

Just did this to mine (wipers wouldn't stop). Quick search brought me here so i did it. Got wipers working fine again. Only thing not working is my drivers side tail light and rear parking lights (the ones on the bumper) and the license plate light. Checked and double checked fuses and wiring. Anyone know what i could have overlooked here? I checked the following wires and they seem to have a solid connection (i hardwired everything)..

5 / G-Y / license plate, rear side marking, and rear combo light / 90-53
16 / G-W / rear combo light / 90-52

Everything works perfect, horn, dash lights, radio, wipers, windshield washers, turn signals, headlights, high beams, fog lights etc etc.
i assume i have them wired correctly but im stumped. Any help is appreciated... Thanks!
Old Mar 8, 2014, 09:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Gotta check mine out ASAP!!!
Old Apr 4, 2014, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
This may have already been answered in this thread but I don't feel like looking through 14 pages of posts...

I bought am 06 RS last year with a "repaired" junction box plug area. Dude fu*king added wiring & used butt connectors. I am not hacking up his hack job anymore.

Does anyone know what harness(s) I would need to replace? It is just the "dash" harness?

I plan on taking a closer look at the junction box area/under the dash after work. I was just hoping someone might know what would need to be replaced off the top of their head so I can start looking into it while I'm still at work.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 11:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 06MREvo
This may have already been answered in this thread but I don't feel like looking through 14 pages of posts...

I bought am 06 RS last year with a "repaired" junction box plug area. Dude fu*king added wiring & used butt connectors. I am not hacking up his hack job anymore.

Does anyone know what harness(s) I would need to replace? It is just the "dash" harness?

I plan on taking a closer look at the junction box area/under the dash after work. I was just hoping someone might know what would need to be replaced off the top of their head so I can start looking into it while I'm still at work.

Best off just cutting out his hack one by one and soldering the wires together and using shrink wrap. It'll be the best option. No need to pull the dash out and mess with all that.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 04:44 PM
Evolved Member

BJ that harness runs from the fuse block under the hood down behind the fender and into the chassis through a grommet and into the drivers compartment. From there it spits into connectors for the junction block.

The other end of the connectors wiring run up to there perspective dash function

I agree using but splices are not the way to go.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
BJ that harness runs from the fuse block under the hood down behind the fender and into the chassis through a grommet and into the drivers compartment. From there it spits into connectors for the junction block.

The other end of the connectors wiring run up to there perspective dash function

I agree using but splices are not the way to go.
Yeah I looked at it after work. Do you know if I can replace the harness from the fuse box to the junction block or will that be the whole engine harness?

It's obvious I need the dash harness. With how the harness is currently hacked up I just want to replace it. If I did this from the beginning, I would have nicely soldered everything. I think sitting there soldering everything or removing the dash will equally **** me off...lol...
Old Apr 4, 2014, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

Never had it out completely but I'm pretty sure coming out of the fuse block it splits off a to other places.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

Here's a fuse box and wire assembly. A couple pics anyway

http://m.ebay.com/itm/131117665906?nav=SEARCH
Old Apr 4, 2014, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

Never had it out completely but I'm pretty sure coming out of the fuse block it splits off a to other places.
Here's a fuse box and wire assembly. A couple pics anyway

http://m.ebay.com/itm/131117665906?nav=SEARCH
I am hoping I can just replace a small section of harness between the engine bay fuse box & junction box. And then grab a dash harness.

Thanks for the pics. I was checking out harnesses on ebay over the past couple days. I'm kinda iffy about ebay harnesses.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

BTW, I figured out, located & purchased the (2) harnesses that need to be replaced. You obviously need a dash harness & you need a front chassis/headlight harness. Front chassis/headlight harness includes the large part of the engine bay fuse box & will be different depending on if you have HIDs or not. Luckily I was about to locate an RS dash harness, since it has less plugs due to no mirror adjust controls, headlight level controls, etc, etc.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 05:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i was ****ing around trying to wire in my new head unit... ( i hate working with wires and should have known better lol) but something happened and im pretty sure i blew a fuse because when i turn my headlights on, the "dimmer" whatever doesn't switch over, like my HVAC panel lights (temp, radio, blah blah) dont come on, and my gauges (afr and boost) dont switch to the dimmer color, as well as my passenger tailight not coming on, but the brake lights and blinkers are fine. (replaced the bulbs to make sure)
someone help, i havn't had time to get out and pop through the fuses to check because of my work schedule. will do it today when i get the chance, but just wanted a second thought on whether it could just be a fuse.(hopefully)

EDIT: Searched through the forum a bit harder and found my answer, sorry for wasting space here>

Last edited by scopy; Apr 23, 2014 at 06:04 AM.

Quick Reply: Electrical Gremlins - symptoms and how to fix