Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Electrical Gremlins - symptoms and how to fix

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2017, 07:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
relevant to ralliart models?

Hey Guys can anyone confirm that this is also relevant on the raliart 04 models?

I own a 2.0l 04 stw. where the rear wiper and the turn signal lights stopped working.

swapped a blown fuse (nr. 2 - 7,5Amp) to the BCM
The module startet clicking rapidly and then stopped.

didnt think to look to the connecter in the drivers side before I read this thread.

now the fuse is still intakt and i've cleaned the connector (not as badly corroded as the ones shown here) but ive lost all of the functions from the BCM.

I now have no central locking either.

I suspect the BCM died when i swapped the fuse. will try a new one tomorrow.

anyone tried something simmilar?
Old Oct 13, 2017, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Just a heads up to all with this issue.

I did the solder fix a few years ago. Added in a few extra inches of cable for "just in case", heat shrinked all connections, filled the black box in the wheel well with silicone, and all was good.

A few days ago the original symptoms started to come back. Checked the cables behind the kick panel and upon closer inspection there was corrosion coming out of a couple of the heat shrink wraps. The corrosion is on the inside and goes all the way up the cable.

Which means this issue goes deeper and could possibly return if you are one of the unlucky few to have it happen.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 02:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Does anyone have pics of which wires/connectors are the problem? Are they the connectors that are down by the feet? or the wires on the other side of the panel on the end of the dash?
Old Nov 10, 2017, 02:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
The connectors are those behind the small sidepanel left of the clutch pedal (for a LHD like "normal" in the US and EU). In the previous pages of this thread you can find a lot of pictures of the connectors
The following users liked this post:
WelDun1 (Nov 10, 2017)
Old Nov 10, 2017, 06:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by patric78
The connectors are those behind the small sidepanel left of the clutch pedal (for a LHD like "normal" in the US and EU). In the previous pages of this thread you can find a lot of pictures of the connectors
Thanx, I found the connectors and found the same corroded wires as everyone else has had I fixed a the wires on the bottom of the connectors, which seemed to be the "Problem" wires, but it didnt fix anything My dash cluster lights stay on, and the car doesnt turn off after started
So i guess i will continue fixing each wire in the connectors. Such a PITA!!!
I just wish i knew which wires were the cause of my symptoms
Old Nov 13, 2017, 06:19 AM
Evolving Member

I don't remember on which page but someone posted an electrical diagram or a list of the cables in the different connectors (or both). But to go for sure just fix each single cable.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 12:06 AM

newbie 🖐 but having searched the web thjs has been the closest thing to my problems, evo 7 here woke up one morning to the park lights on front and rear, tried to start car would try start but wont fire wonder is this where my problem lies, any help greatly appreciated
Liam
Old Feb 3, 2019, 05:49 PM

Hi I am about to do this to my evo 8 the lower pins were corroded really bad, just by looking at the harness it seems like there is more wires on one side than the other. Did you have any wires with no wire to match them with and if so what did you do with them?
Thank you!
Old Feb 4, 2019, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by znhoowy
Hi I am about to do this to my evo 8 the lower pins were corroded really bad, just by looking at the harness it seems like there is more wires on one side than the other. Did you have any wires with no wire to match them with and if so what did you do with them?
Thank you!
it's pretty slow job take your time no all wires married up pal
Old Feb 4, 2019, 06:31 PM

Thanks for your reply, I started doing this today doing wire by wire one at a time, and by the end I have 3 wires that don't have a pair. The car starts and runs the only things not working at this point are:
-rear wiper
-Driver's taillight and turn signal
-Automatic headlights don't turn off anymore when I open the door
Old Feb 5, 2019, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Liam Cawley
it's pretty slow job take your time no all wires married up pal
Thanks for your reply, I started doing this today doing wire by wire one at a time, and by the end I have 3 wires that don't have a pair. The car starts and runs the only things not working at this point are:
-rear wiper
Old Feb 6, 2019, 01:04 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by znhoowy
-rear wiper
(When I had the issue with electrical gremlisn a few years back it was too late to make this wiring job, the wires were partially melted and I had to have the whole cabling replaced.)

To find your missing wire pairings give a look to the wiring diagrams, each connector is clearly described. You can download them here.
Another possibility is to look at your old connectors (if you did not dispose them, yet). Eventually 2 calbes on one side pair with only 1 on the other.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 11:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So I'm trying to tackle this project on my 06 IX, but I can not for the life of me figure out where two wires connect to. Originially I had the Wipers have a mind of their own and my Right Blinker staying constantly on. As you can see in the picture, I have a hole that burned up two wires and the "holes" that they went into.. We tried to do it one by one, but no combination works. Now I have no front indicators and my instrument cluster has no blinking when moving the stalk up or down. My wipers work, though.

This is the connector, it will be the top left connector next to the 3 pin connect.

Old Mar 3, 2019, 12:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by lolscotttt
So I'm trying to tackle this project on my 06 IX, but I can not for the life of me figure out where two wires connect to. Originially I had the Wipers have a mind of their own and my Right Blinker staying constantly on. As you can see in the picture, I have a hole that burned up two wires and the "holes" that they went into.. We tried to do it one by one, but no combination works. Now I have no front indicators and my instrument cluster has no blinking when moving the stalk up or down. My wipers work, though.

This is the connector, it will be the top left connector next to the 3 pin connect.

What i did was cut off the connector and solder the wires directly. Had this problem last year, now i got zero issues, but put silicon around the grommet its behind the fender, to avoid water going in.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 02:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the problem i'm having is that i don't know which wire goes to which. i couldn't find a wire diagram that showed which colored wire or wires go to which. i'm apparently missing one wire because my front blinkers do not work at all.

Quick Reply: Electrical Gremlins - symptoms and how to fix