Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

5 1/4 components worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5 1/4 components worth it?

Quick question... I have a set of 5 1/4 mb quart components just sitting here. Other than making an adapter plate is ther any disadvantage or reason not to install these and wait to get 6 1/2 or 6 3/4 components?

Thanks guys !!
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by StreakGSX
Quick question... I have a set of 5 1/4 mb quart components just sitting here. Other than making an adapter plate is ther any disadvantage or reason not to install these and wait to get 6 1/2 or 6 3/4 components?

Thanks guys !!
I don't see any reason why you shouldn't install them as a temporary setup if you plan on upgrading your sound system. It's better than nothing right? I'm sure you could find an adapter plate to purchase if making one yourself proves to be difficult.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:45 PM

Thanks for the reply!! I just didn't know if there would be a huge difference In quality using these vs waiting and buying the different size speaker setup for the front ... basically is it worth spending the money on a new 6 1/2 setup or will I not notice the difference ? If the difference isn't huge I could use that money on the rest ...I have the oem speakers right now ..
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:40 PM

Thanks for the reply!! I just didn't know if there would be a huge difference In quality using these vs waiting and buying the different size speaker setup for the front ... basically is it worth spending the money on a new 6 1/2 setup or will I not notice the difference ? If the difference isn't huge I could use that money on the rest ...I have the oem speakers right now ..
You're welcome! There will definitely be a difference in sound level when using bigger sized components but, the quality of the components that you are using has a lot to do with it as well. You could be using a bigger sized speaker but, the quality may not be as good as the smaller sized speaker. It really depends on what you're content with. It wouldn't hurt to try out the components that you already have and go from there.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
You will lose some bass 'potential'. 61/2 MBs would be even better.

They are great speakers (used to sell car audio) and adding an amp to them would sound 'deeper' and more have more clarity than the stock speakers. (I assume - you didn't tell us what system you have now...)
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:34 AM

Right now I have stock 2003 eom speakers with an alpine cda-117 and alpine power pack. I was shopping for speakers and a friend said he had 5 1/4 mb quart components I could have if I wanted them so I could spend money on the rest. Is I can use these for the fronts or buy some alpine components ... If I use thes ill look for some 6.5 for the rears to go with it.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:41 PM

Right now I have stock 2003 eom speakers with an alpine cda-117 and alpine power pack. I was shopping for speakers and a friend said he had 5 1/4 mb quart components I could have if I wanted them so I could spend money on the rest. Is I can use these for the fronts or buy some alpine components ... If I use thes ill look for some 6.5 for the rears to go with it.
You really want to focus on the front speakers because that is where you are sitting 99% of the time. I would suggest putting the 6.5" speakers in the front and the 5.25" speakers in the rear if you do not want to purchase two sets of 6.5" speakers.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin
You really want to focus on the front speakers because that is where you are sitting 99% of the time. I would suggest putting the 6.5" speakers in the front and the 5.25" speakers in the rear if you do not want to purchase two sets of 6.5" speakers.
+1 I had 5.25's in the front, then swapped them out for 6.5's and it was a big difference! Not night and day, but I could totally tell a difference in the mid bass. If you have a chance to get the 6.5's up front, I would def. recommend it.