Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Radio random channel surfing

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2013, 12:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Radio random channel surfing

So let me start out by saying I have a cheap aftermarket dvd player radio (came with the car and haven't had the money to replace it. But the problem I am having is that it will randomly channel surf on its own. I generally have it set on 98.1 FM for up here in AK but it will just randomly start to scan through the channels as if there aren't any channels cyclying all the way up the back around to 65.0 fm which is just static up here. I was wondering if anyone may have had this problem before or any idea what it could be. checked the antenae itself and that is screwed down tight and the antenae connector in the back if pushed in as far as I can get it and no bare metal is exposed to possibly ground out.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 10:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check your settings on the radio. Some have a setting that searches every so many seconds. Or some have settings to search when the signal is too weak.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Ok I'll look up a manual n see if it has that thanks for the suggestion. Any idea what that would be called?
Old Nov 5, 2013, 10:25 AM
Evolving Member

Ummm maybe seek or quick search or preview, something along those lines. I know there is a name for it a lot of radios use but it escapes me at the moment.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 11:00 AM

You may want to check and ensure the installer connected the antenna back to the radio... (not sure how many stations you usually get where you are in Alaska though) Usually radios will seek once they lose signal.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 01:26 AM
Evolved Member

I'll check n see if one of those is selected I just wasn't sure if it had some special name like scramblebitsearchmcannoyingashell setting haha. I'm good with engines not so much radios. N we don't get many stations that are worth listening to but the one it drops I know is there cause it does pick it up but likes to change itself in the middle of songs which is annoying and doesn't get quieter or distorted before it does it just randomly switches but I'm thinking you guys are right cause not that I'm trying to chase down the problem I'm noticing it does it in roughly the same area. Just sucks cause that area is around my house haha.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

Ok so I went thru the settings and I guess when I disconnect the battery it reverts to Russian radio so it will program and receive the channels up here but isn't really boosting those frequencies. Changed it over to USA1 and now it's not dropping the radio station like it used to so far