Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

viper 5904 install going bad

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2013, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
viper 5904 install going bad

ok guys i have a few issues on hand....

i have a 05 evo 8 MR, we all know it has the factory keyless yada yada.....

now i have the viper 5904v remote start and security. Now, i first tried the install myself. after one day of just messing with it, i got it to where it all works (except the turbo timer and remote start), BUT the lock inside the car (on drivers panel) wont lock or unlock the car. now after reading the stickies and all kinds of stuff, the 2 cables needed to tap are "lite green and purple" now heres the kicker. those 2 wires that i jus spoke about are in 2 different places. one is on the drivers kick panel and one on the fusebox those 2 plugs that are stacked, preety much on the rear side of the fuse box....

ok im trying to explain my problem so stay with me......

ok the lite green and purple on the drivers kick panel wont do anything as far as "moving" the lock motor while pressing the VIPER buttons (lock and unlock)..... NOW, if i go ahead and move the VIPER harness which the cables are the blue and green (on viper harness) to the rear plugs of the fuse box it works, but heres another kicker.... sorry guys

once i i move the cables to the rear of the fuse box plugs (lite green and purple) it works! BUT only lock!!!!!.... after hours or touching cables and cables. i figured i mess around a bit. i tried hooking up one of the leads of the viper door signal to the "factory disarm" cable which is grey wire. now it all works, lock and unlock.... BUT the drivers door panel lock button and unlock wont work......

guys i followed everything i could. and im just lost. I paid a shop to install it. after i took everything off again because i gave up. now i go to pick the car up, car wont even lock or unlock via viper just factory fob. So they tell me something about the door signal wires off the viper brain are sending like a positive signal not letting it do what is supposed too. but what is killing is that i got it working much more than they did.

so if anyone can please chime in let me know. i feel like ditching viper all together and going something else
Old Nov 5, 2013, 06:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
#1: Do you have a voltmeter? If I ask you to read the voltage and/or resistance on a wire, do you have a tool to do so?

That install is not for the beginners.

When you have a scenario like this, step 1 is to undo wiring to the point where everything factory works again. It sounds like your factory locks are still working, which is good. You haven't fried anything yet. Just connecting the wrong wires can be disastrous, so avoid that, i.e. just connecting to other purple or lt. green wires in the car. Cars will have dozens of purple or light green wires inside, you need a meter to see if you're actually connecting to the right wire.

That being said, the wires you are looking for should be in the kick panel, in the door harness. That's the harness that goes through the door boot into the body of the car. Disconnect your Viper lock and unlock wires, and meter the purple and lt. green wires you've found. These wires should drop to 0 volts when you hit lock or unlock.

If they do, then you've got the right wires. You could meter the lock and unlock output wires from the Viper, but they only output 200 milliamps so I don't recommend it for most. What I'd do next is just take a 2 inch piece of wire and tap your factory purple OR lt. green wires to ground, quickly and one at a time. DO NOT do this unless you have metered your wires and are 100% sure they're the lock wires. I've seen professional installers pop airbags by sending 12v to the wrong wire. But, if you are sure and you do that, your locks should operate. Again a good sign if they do.

If you're still good on all of the above, and you connect your Viper wires to the car's lock and unlock wires and get no action, then either your alarm brain isn't outputting any signal on those wires, or the 200 milliamp ground isn't a strong enough ground to trigger the lock and unlock on the car. Bad news is that you either need a meter or a relay to test this.

With a meter, I typically measure resistance to ground from the viper's lock or unlock wires - one end of the meter on ground, the other on the wire, and then press lock or unlock, whichever your meter is on.

If you have a relay, wire up:
85: 200 milliamp unlock output from Viper brain
86: Constant +12v
87: Ground
30: Connect to factory unlock wire

If you have none of the above, then you really need to find a better shop.
The fact that the factory locks are still working but your "professional" installer couldn't get it to work, means he is NOT a professional. Many people think they are installers, but honestly, most suck. That's most of the reason I got out of the industry a couple years ago.

I do have a pretty large network though, and could probably find you a more reputable shop to bring it to, if needed.

Best of luck. Or if you want to drive it over to Tampa, I'll take a look.