Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Headlight Help

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2017, 04:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Headlight Help

Hey guys and gals,

Alrighty, sorry for the absolutely noob questions, but i took out my headlights to blacken the inside rather than the chrome... I was just wondering what needs to be taken off before I throw it in the oven.

Also, I was trying to get one of the bulbs out (and it still wont come out), so I tried using pliers to help give me some leverage... But then this happened:

Any info for either of these would be great, thanks!
Old Jun 17, 2017, 12:24 PM
Evolving Member

OK, update.... So I got the bulb out, but as I went to go pull out the HID bulb, I found this:
http://imgur.com/a/FsH9a
(The screw holding down the HID bulb spring was stripped).
Apparently, someone tried doing this before and failed. Does anyone have an idea to get it out? i tried using an extraction kit and the rubber band method, but still no luck.
And do I need to take off ALL the wires and the silver box before I put it in the oven or do I leave it on there? I am trying to unscrew the ground wire and that won't come out aswell.... Any suggestions? Thanks.

Last edited by 4G63_Crazy; Jun 17, 2017 at 12:57 PM.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
Take off balasts (silver boxes) All the wires and bulbs and I removed my HID motor cables as well
Old Jun 17, 2017, 05:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4G63_EVO
Take off balasts (silver boxes) All the wires and bulbs and I removed my HID motor cables as well
Do you need to remove these black boxes? ( I think they are the HID leveling motors), and if so, how? I unscrewed everything and it still wont come out.

Old Jun 17, 2017, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4G63_Crazy
Do you need to remove these black boxes? ( I think they are the HID leveling motors), and if so, how? I unscrewed everything and it still wont come out.

It pulls out, its very hard, I didnt remove mine I baked it with those, just removed the cables to make room.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

OK, update.... So I got the bulb out, but as I went to go pull out the HID bulb, I found this:
http://imgur.com/a/FsH9a
(The screw holding down the HID bulb spring was stripped).
Apparently, someone tried doing this before and failed. Does anyone have an idea to get it out? i tried using an extraction kit and the rubber band method, but still no luck.
And do I need to take off ALL the wires and the silver box before I put it in the oven or do I leave it on there? I am trying to unscrew the ground wire and that won't come out aswell.... Any suggestions? Thanks.
Ive never seen a screw holding that down you should be able to just push the spring away from the notch its in and pull the bulb out
Old Jun 17, 2017, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

Here's how mine is
Old Jun 17, 2017, 05:23 PM
Evolving Member

It pulls out, its very hard, I didnt remove mine I baked it with those, just removed the cables to make room.
Then you just gotta remove the cables? Is it ok to keep the black cable with the gears at the end of it on for baking or take that off?

Old Jun 17, 2017, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

Then you just gotta remove the cables? Is it ok to keep the black cable with the gears at the end of it on for baking or take that off?

that is the Cable im refering to. I took mine off, but I think youd be ok leaving it on
Old Jun 17, 2017, 05:38 PM
Evolving Member

that is the Cable im refering to. I took mine off, but I think youd be ok leaving it on
OK, thank you so much! Now... lol.... I need to get that stripped screw out.. Its the one holding down the HID Bulb spring.... And the screw holding down the ballast ground. Any ideas? Both won't come out...

For me:

Last edited by 4G63_Crazy; Jun 17, 2017 at 05:47 PM.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

ok listen the one on the right in the above photo does NOT get removed, and the ground one on the left, you could leave on as well
Old Jun 17, 2017, 05:50 PM
Evolving Member

ok listen the one on the right in the above photo does NOT get removed, and the ground one on the left, you could leave on as well
Don't you have to take out the HID bulb before cooking it? And don't you have to remove the ground to completely remove the ballast? Im sorry for my noobness...
Old Jun 17, 2017, 05:53 PM
Evolving Member

Don't you have to take out the HID bulb before cooking it? And don't you have to remove the ground to completely remove the ballast? Im sorry for my noobness...
Wow, im such an idiot.... I didnt see the screw on the back of the ballast for the ground.... But still, I thought you needed to remove the HID spring to get the bulb out?
Old Jun 17, 2017, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

Wow, im such an idiot.... I didnt see the screw on the back of the ballast for the ground.... But still, I thought you needed to remove the HID spring to get the bulb out?
you push the spring with your finger and it will come off that notch like I said and then you can pull the bulb off
Old Jun 17, 2017, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

Push here and slide it up a bit

Quick Reply: Headlight Help