Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Power folding mirrors on USDM Evo 8

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2018, 07:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Power folding mirrors on USDM Evo 8

Hey everyone

so I was wondering how hard it would be to have power folding mirrors on a USDM Evo 8. Would it be possible to get the motors and just wire it in or would you need JDM power folding mirrors? And how exactly would you wire it? Any info helps thanks
Old Apr 20, 2018, 08:18 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
your for sure going to want to get the actual motorized units. If you tried to modify non-motorized ones it would probably end up looking like some high school science fair project. As far as the wiring goes, my gut tells me you are going to need a different etacs, but I don't know for sure. Worst case you would have to roll your own MCU solution to control them. Best case they have a built in MCU and all you gotta do is give them 12v switched to get them to unfold.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 08:26 AM

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...p-evo-9-a.html

Looks like Demon already took a look at this, and yah bad news ETACS controls them. So high school science project to get them to work lol. If it really is just a motor and a position sensor in there then you will need an H-bridge motor driver connected to an MCU through I2C or something like that and the firmware on the MCU to read the position sensor and do the P.I.D. stuff to control the H-bridge.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 08:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...p-evo-9-a.html

Looks like Demon already took a look at this, and yah bad news ETACS controls them. So high school science project to get them to work lol.
Oof that's sucks haha.. I wish it was easy as hooking it up to a 12v source and a switch :/
Old Apr 20, 2018, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
Yea, unfortunately it doesn't. I'm not sure if the ETACS controls the physical folding of them or just the automated folding at xyz mph

The switch on the dash utilizes the same plug, but the ETACS is the kicker. Someone a long while ago used an arduino board to control the folding but never posted any how-to on that aspect

Shame that this wasn't offered on the US cars ever
Old Apr 20, 2018, 02:31 PM

Why Mitsubishi didn't think the us market would want all the cool stuff other markets got is beyond me. If there was a good source to get these things into the US it would be worth developing a solution.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 02:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by llDemonll
Yea, unfortunately it doesn't. I'm not sure if the ETACS controls the physical folding of them or just the automated folding at xyz mph

The switch on the dash utilizes the same plug, but the ETACS is the kicker. Someone a long while ago used an arduino board to control the folding but never posted any how-to on that aspect

Shame that this wasn't offered on the US cars ever
So i don't know much about wiring so sorry if this is a dump question, but would it be possible to just cut the connectors off, ground the negative and hook the positive to a switch and when the switch is on it sends power to the mirrors, opening them..
Old Apr 20, 2018, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by 4G63_Crazy
So i don't know much about wiring so sorry if this is a dump question, but would it be possible to just cut the connectors off, ground the negative and hook the positive to a switch and when the switch is on it sends power to the mirrors, opening them..
Nah you couldn't do that, you could rig up two switches, one to open and one to close. If the mirror actuator is like the hvac actuator i took apart then you can't over extend the armature so you would just have to manually open and close them with two different switches and some relays. Because you have to reverse the current through the motor you would have to set the relays up in an h-bridge configuration.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 07:33 AM
Evolving Member

​​​​​​So I was digging deep in the archives on this forum and saw that someone got it rigged up to their key fob aux feature. However, if you wanted it to work with a button inside, you would need a the OEM switch and ETACS?
Old Apr 25, 2018, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by 4G63_Crazy
​​​​​​So I was digging deep in the archives on this forum and saw that someone got it rigged up to their key fob aux feature. However, if you wanted it to work with a button inside, you would need a the OEM switch and ETACS?
thats actually a good idea. An Aftermarket alarm is a micro controller and can be configured to control an H-bridge. You use to have to do that for old ford electronic locks. Never thought of this i'll do some digging too.

You wouldn't have to get an OEM switch and an ETACS swap, if you wanted it to work like OEM you would. Otherwise you can set something up yourself, and you could probably interface it with the factory switch too if you wanted to. That really comes down to your technical knowledge and experience though.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 11:48 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Been thinking about this lately. Does the evo 8/9 share the same door mirrors as the lancer 02 - 07 ? If so, we are in luck.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Folding-Power-Side-View-Mirror-Driver-Left-LH-for-02-07-Mitsubishi-Lancer/131614797478?fits=Model%3ALancer&hash=item1ea4da6e a6:g:ehMAAOSwyXhZv8dH

edit: nvm, just read the complete add and it said "excluding evo models" and it may not actually auto fold. what a shame. I don't know if that's true though....

Last edited by Pal215; Sep 13, 2018 at 02:24 PM.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 04:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
That's a power mirror that folds in, not a power folding mirror like the poorly-worded auction states
Old Sep 14, 2018, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I would think a DEI 530T window control module might work. It has multiple inputs and can control 2 motors in 2 directions. Igntition to trigger opening and ground pulse to trigger close when car shut off/door closed/alarm armed. I've used them to control actuators in the past and they also have resistance settings as a safety so motors can't be run past their limits
Old Oct 26, 2018, 08:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BillAce
I would think a DEI 530T window control module might work. It has multiple inputs and can control 2 motors in 2 directions. Igntition to trigger opening and ground pulse to trigger close when car shut off/door closed/alarm armed. I've used them to control actuators in the past and they also have resistance settings as a safety so motors can't be run past their limits
So you just plug this up to the aux feature on the aftermarket alarm and instead of running it the windows, you run it the mirrors? Also, can you just get the jdm etacs switch and would that be plug and play with the usdm wiring, just gotta run wires the mirrors?

Last edited by 4G63_Crazy; Oct 26, 2018 at 08:44 PM.