Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

All about CAMS....

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2004, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The reason i got upset was him doubting me. Im not trying to sound conceded but i have done allot of research on things like this and i wish people would have helped me when i needed it. So when i lend a hand and then for people to talk crap about what i said "specially when it is on a topic that i know im right about" i get upset. He was being sarcastic in every word of his comment if you didnt notice.

Chris

Originally Posted by LostSoul Evo
gotta love it when people act like as*es over someone asking a simple question. GSUJEFF55 does have a good point about the search option. i tried doin search on cams as well as other things. most of the time u end up wit no info at all, except for what people have installed in there cars. hopefully the mods will clean up the forums soon.

ya really act like its that hard to answer someones question without giving an attitude. if u get mad over a repeated question then dont reply to it. it may be repeated to you but not to the person asking it.

this has been a rant, now we return u back to your topic.

by the way thats for the info on the cam lift and duration too. even though i still dont understand.
Old Oct 7, 2004, 08:01 AM
Evolving Member

hey GSUJEFF55, u can also try goin to www.auto.howstuffworks.com and do a search their also. very helpful if u the type of persons that is book smart.
Old Oct 7, 2004, 08:32 AM
Evolving Member

my bad 2k4evo. when i made my reply i didnt even see your your last post showing the difference between the different cams and their makers. after reading ur post now, i starting to understand cam duration and lift more. so thank u for that. my comment wasnt directed at u. so i hope u didnt take offence to it. so my bad for bein an a*s in general to everyone who just posted.

i just understand how difficult it is to use "search". sometimes its just easier to just re-ask the question.
Old Oct 7, 2004, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Sorry i took it that way. Its early and i think i get a little defensive...LOL.. Oh well hope everybody understand a little more now? Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Chris

Originally Posted by LostSoul Evo
my bad 2k4evo. when i made my reply i didnt even see your your last post showing the difference between the different cams and their makers. after reading ur post now, i starting to understand cam duration and lift more. so thank u for that. my comment wasnt directed at u. so i hope u didnt take offence to it. so my bad for bein an a*s in general to everyone who just posted.

i just understand how difficult it is to use "search". sometimes its just easier to just re-ask the question.
Old Oct 7, 2004, 09:30 AM
slt
Evolved Member

2k4EvoVIII,

What determines the need for upgraded valve springs? I though it was related to lift but that doesn't seem true with the specs you posted. Thanks for posting some usefull info.
Old Oct 7, 2004, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by slt
2k4EvoVIII,

What determines the need for upgraded valve springs? I though it was related to lift but that doesn't seem true with the specs you posted. Thanks for posting some usefull info.
It is related to lift. The stock valve springs have a tensil strength of 60 which is not the strongest. I decided to go with the Buschur Springs and Titanium retainers that have a tensil strength of 120. I have seen evidence of even the HKS cams needing valvesprings even though they say they dont. Basically if the springs are to weak you will get valve float and run into all kinds of problems with playing the drums on your pistons. I would recommend getting valvetrain nomatter what cams you go with but HKS does not see a need for it and they are the professionals so who am i to doubt them? I just think it is weird that JUN uses very similar lift and they require them....hmmmm..

Chris
Old Oct 7, 2004, 09:49 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks LostSoul Evo. That howstuffworks site is awesome. I have been wanting to mod my car, but I don't know the first thing about car mechanics. Now maybe I can learn some things so I can figure out the best way to spend money upgrading my car. Unfortunately... I might not get to doing any work related things for a few hours...
Old Oct 7, 2004, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Damn someone got owned with details .. hahaha!

Ty guys for this very informative post =D
Old Oct 7, 2004, 10:07 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 2k4EvoVIII
It is related to lift. The stock valve springs have a tensil strength of 60 which is not the strongest. I decided to go with the Buschur Springs and Titanium retainers that have a tensil strength of 120. I have seen evidence of even the HKS cams needing valvesprings even though they say they dont. Basically if the springs are to weak you will get valve float and run into all kinds of problems with playing the drums on your pistons. I would recommend getting valvetrain nomatter what cams you go with but HKS does not see a need for it and they are the professionals so who am i to doubt them? I just think it is weird that JUN uses very similar lift and they require them....hmmmm..

Chris
i think that it's not just lift, but how fast it gets to that lift value. if one cam take 50 degs. of rotation to get to let say 10mm of lift but another one gets there in only 15degs. the ramp up is alot faster. this makes the valve travel faster and try to stop at the top of peak faster. thats where the heavier springs come into effect. they help keep the valve pressed against the lifter instead of letting it "float" off of the lifter with the extra momentum cause by the increased lift speed.

i hope that made some sense

good luck
sean

something i thought i should add even though it's probably obvious...
the valve speed also increases as the rpm's increase so even with the stock cams
you can get float if you spin the motor high enough(you would have to reflash ecu
raise the rev limiter though)

Last edited by smack_evo; Oct 7, 2004 at 10:53 AM.
Old Oct 7, 2004, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Now....to all you a-holes that said something about "good luck getting answers" and "search noob". this is probably the most informative thread on cams on this entire site. thank you fellas for the answers, and to you other guys......learn some things and quit being ******.
Old Oct 7, 2004, 10:52 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 2k4EvoVIII
OK SMART A$$ how is this for backing it up?

Duration = Duration refers to how long a valve is opened in relation to crankshaft rotation. This open valve time period is expressed in degrees of crankshaft rotation. So, a cam specification of 220 degrees duration simply means the cam holds the valve open for 22 0 degrees of crankshaft rotation.

Lift = While duration refers to how long the valve is opened, cam lift is used to determine how wide the valve is opened.

If the valves are not opened wide enough, they will cause a restriction for the air trying to enter or exit the cylinder. However, opening the valve past a certain point will not increase the flow to (or from) the cylinder.

Seperation = Separation refers to the spacing between the intake lobe and exhaust lobe on the cam shaft. This spacing (or separation) is expressed in degrees on the cam, not on the crankshaft. So, a 108 lobe separation means the intake and exhaust lobes are 108 degrees apart from each other on the cam shaft.

This spec by itself really doesn't mean anything. If you hear someone else is using a cam with 108 separation, don't think that you should use cams that only have 108 separation!

Separation, just like centerline, is another way to tie the duration to the crankshaft rotation and end up with valve events. This spec is a little more complicated though, because it is in cam shaft degrees and the crankshaft rotates two degrees for each one degree of cam rotation. Also, if the cam has been installed either advanced or retarded, the valve events will be different.

Centerline = The cam's centerline specification is used to tie the valve timing to the crankshaft's rotation. This spec is expressed as the number of degrees the crankshaft must rotate from top dead center until the cam has rotated to the peak (or centerline) of the lobe.

The centerline spec and the duration spec can be used to calculate when the valves open and close in relation to the crankshaft's rotation. When the valves open (or close) relative to the crankshaft's rotation is known as valve events or valve timing. Some cam manufacturers will provide valve event information and others only provide duration and centerline information

MAYBE YOU WANTED SPECS ON THE CAMS??

HKS 264:
Duration of 264 deg
Duration of 206 deg @ 1mm
Lift of 10.8mm intake / 10.2mm exhaust
Stock valve springs OK

HKS 272:
Duration of 272 deg
Duration of 214 deg @ 1mm
Lift of 10.8mm intake / 10.2mm exhaust
Stock valve springs OK

JUN 264:
Duration of 264 deg
Duration of ___ deg @ 1mm
Lift of 10.5mm
Upgraded valve springs required

JUN 272:
Duration of 272 deg
Duration of 235 deg @ 1mm
Lift of 10.8mm

Tomei Poncam:
Duration of 260 deg
Lift of 10.7mm intake / 10.2mm exhaust
Stock valve springs OK

Tomei Procam:
Duration of 260 deg
Lift of 11.5mm

Piper Ultimate Road cams:
Duration of 265 deg
Duration of 217 deg intake / 211 deg exhaust @ 1mm
Lift of 11.5mm intake / 10.8mm exhaust

Piper Rally cams:
Duration of 265 deg
Duration of 217 deg @ 1mm
Lift of 11.5mm

Piper Race cams:
Duration of 272 deg
Duration of 224 deg @ 1mm
Lift of 12.0mm

PEOPLE LIKE YOU **** ME OFF!!!!

Chris
Dayum, I think someone got b***h-slapped by Chris....

Thank you Chris for the extra info...The one redeeming thing is that he actually provoked you into dispensing more info...hmmm...perhaps that was a ploy to aviod doing a search....Very helpful!

Brent
Old Oct 7, 2004, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BLiu
Dayum, I think someone got b***h-slapped by Chris....

Thank you Chris for the extra info...The one redeeming thing is that he actually provoked you into dispensing more info...hmmm...perhaps that was a ploy to aviod doing a search....Very helpful!

Brent
NP man. Anything to help thats what this is all about. I have nothing agianst that guy he could have just worded what he said a little better so no need to flame him. But thanx for the support from everybody it is appriciated!!

Good luck guys and agian if you have any question feel free to PM me.

Chris
Old Oct 7, 2004, 10:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by smack_evo
i think that it's not just lift, but how fast it gets to that lift value. if one cam take 50 degs. of rotation to get to let say 10mm of lift but another one gets there in only 15degs. the ramp up is alot faster. this makes the valve travel faster and try to stop at the top of peak faster. thats where the heavier springs come into effect. they help keep the valve pressed against the lifter instead of letting it "float" off of the lifter with the extra momentum cause by the increased lift speed.

i hope that made some sense

good luck
sean

something i thought i should add even though it's probably obvious...
the valve speed also increases as the rpm's increase so even with the stock cams
you can get float if you spin the motor high enough(you would have to reflash ecu
raise the rev limiter though)
As far as valve springs go....think of the camshaft as a bump in the road. With a suspension system, you have the spring, damper and tire. This system has a natural frequency (number of cycles before the object comes to rest in a static or steady state). The spring stores the energy and releases it, the damper helps control this released energy among many other things (but for this we'll keep it simple), and the tire also acts as a spring and damper within the sidewall and it too has a natural frequency (again another topic). Back to the bump, the damper slows the number of oscillations that would occur after the bump. Adding performace dampers increases the natural frequency, which to most everyone on this site, is a good thing.

The valve spring does not have the luxury of a separate damper to increase its natural frequency. This is what separates a good valve spring from a piece of coiled steel. When designing a spring to suit a system (camshaft and RPM range), generally a spring with a high natural frequecy is very desireable. The cam profile has everything to do with how the valve spring needs to be designed. The spring needs to have enough travel: Sc, to keep it from coil binding at max lift. The more radical the profile, the higher the frequency spring you want to allow itself to recover fully (not overshooting) so the valve is not floating or surging not matining contact with the cam. Seat pressure is also important, as too much is not a good thing. This is what makes the Ducati desmo system so f%$king cool.....it uses no springs, the cams open and close the valves, unfortunately, they are a **** to maintain. Too much spring rate can actaually rob power. Think about it....the engine has to work that much harder to overcome the additional force that opposes its direction of rotation. Yep, this is getting out there, but it is totally valid.

Tensile strength of the wire that is used allows you to optimize the valve spring design by using a smaller wire diameter (reducing valve train mass and allowing more travel) yet still mainting enough of a safety margin so that you are not overstressing the spring in it's designed environment. The grain structure aslo plays a major role in valve spring wire quality (another time on that one...this is long enough). An overstressed spring (i.e. poor design and/or poor materials and/or manufacturing methods and/or over rev) can lead to catastrophic failure in either buckling or breakage.....which usually leads to ventilated pistons........
Old Oct 8, 2004, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gsujeff55
thanks to the view people with answers, i appreciate it. to you other jackasses who would rather pretend like they know the answer, and say search, than to actually give it to me......you all suck.

have you ever tried to do a search on here? if i type in cams, the first 100 threads that come up are where people are listing their mods and talking about getting cams and all that ****. NONE OF THAT ANSWERED MY QUESTION.

and id be willing to bet i know more about modding an engine than any of you assclowns that called me a noob or told me to search. can't have good informative discussions on this forum because dip****s like yourselves wanna throw your useless .02 in.

again, thank you to the intellegent people who answered my question.
Wow, someone got really defensive. Maybe if you would have searched for "duration" or "264" or "something more broad then just the word cams" you would have found the info. Or maybe just gone to howstuffworks.com (even they explain duration and lift)

BTW I never said anything about your knowledge on cars. Just that I hate when newBs dont search.

If you actually read everypost Ive ever said youd see I have answered this question at least a dozen times here and help people all the time.
Old Oct 8, 2004, 12:17 PM
Evolving Member

gotta save this topic in my favorites. so when i start looking into cams, all the info i need will be right there.

thanks 2k4evo, mttam, smack evo, & everyone else who gave helpful info on cams. cause cams and cam gears gotta be one of the most confusing mods to put on any car. especially if u dont understand engine to well.

just remember guys cams and cam gears need good tuning to get good benefits. TUNING...the biggest mod need for the Evo.

Quick Reply: All about CAMS....