Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Is an Oil Catch Can worth getting?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2004, 10:05 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey guys here are my 2cents. I ran around with a little k&n style air filter for about a year, leaked oil and the car seemed to not like having the line from the valve cover to the intake pipe disconnected. For the same price if not $1 more than a k&n style filter you can pick up one of the Campbell Hausfeld mini general purpose filters. These are great because of their price, size, transparency and excellent oil catch function. No offense but I just could never justify paying the high prices for something like a catch can.
Old Dec 21, 2004, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
For you guys that mentioned that you are running a breather filter on the valve cover where the breather hose used to be, I would suggest that you either put it back to stock or put an inline filter/catchcan of some sort.

Unless you have an EMS that can compensate for it, you will be getting uncounted air into the intake manifold. Anytime that you are under a vacuum condition in the intake manifold (idle and cruise), the PCV valve opens. Air is then pulled through the breather hose, through the valve cover, and through the PCV valve and into the inake manifold. In stock condition, since the breather hose is connected to the intake pipe, that air is 'counted' by the MAF, but if you use a breather filter, that is 'uncounted' air that is getting into the combustion chamber. The MAF never knew about it, so it only instructs the injectors to fire the amount of fuel for the 'counted' air through the MAF. This will cause you to run lean at idle and cruise, possibly causing stalling problems, etc.

Eric
Old Dec 21, 2004, 12:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply guys.
Old Dec 21, 2004, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

You've got some good points.... I think I'll hook my stock hose back up just in case.
Old Dec 21, 2004, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

I got the BR intake so where do I hook the line from the breather?
Old Dec 21, 2004, 08:44 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I actually tapped a hole in my BR mas pipe, screwed in a nipple, steel epoxied around it on the outside for a nice seal, and then dremeled the excessive threaded portion down smooth on the inside, works well
Old Dec 21, 2004, 09:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mitsuorder
I actually tapped a hole in my BR mas pipe, screwed in a nipple, steel epoxied around it on the outside for a nice seal, and then dremeled the excessive threaded portion down smooth on the inside, works well

Picture please Did you notice in difference in gas mileage, idling, etc?
Old Dec 22, 2004, 05:26 AM
Evolved Member

the air compressor filter works great, but what works better is if you take out the valve at the bottom of the bowl and attach a hose to it, connecting to a valve that you can open and close manually, I have this setup and I never have to get my hands in there to unscrew the bowl and dump it, I just pop the hood, loosen a knob, wait a sec, tighten the knob, and close the hood.
Old Dec 22, 2004, 05:51 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

good stuff honki24, did you just remove the little release valve all together from the bottom of the catch?
Old Dec 22, 2004, 06:06 AM
Evolved Member

<snip> For the same price if not $1 more than a k&n style filter you can pick up one of the Campbell Hausfeld mini general purpose filters. These are great because of their price, size, transparency and excellent oil catch function. No offense but I just could never justify paying the high prices for something like a catch can.
Yep. That's exactly the same thing that the SVT Lightning guys & gals use to prevent excessive oil pooling in the intake tract and blower. On the Lightnings, enough oil will condense that blue clouds billow from the exhuast on start up. Not too cool looking and bad for intercooler efficiency.
Old Dec 22, 2004, 06:22 AM
Evolved Member

good stuff honki24, did you just remove the little release valve all together from the bottom of the catch?
yep, pulls right out with some needle nose pliers (and the oil drains into my wheel well in case anyone cares)
Old Dec 22, 2004, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by honki24
yep, pulls right out with some needle nose pliers (and the oil drains into my wheel well in case anyone cares)
If you don't mind I like to see some pictures.
Old Dec 22, 2004, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Does anyone know the size of the stock vaccum hose? I've got some 4mm hose here but it's too small. I'm guessing 6mm maybe?