Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Is an Oil Catch Can worth getting?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2004, 08:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is an Oil Catch Can worth getting?

Hi all,

I was wondering how many of you guys are using a Oil Catch Can on your Evo?
Old Dec 21, 2004, 08:47 AM

I believe an OCC is worth getting...now there is just the problem of getting one to fit property in the engine bay. I know there is the Weapon R, but there have to be other options.
Old Dec 21, 2004, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IMHO I believe it is worth getting.....Ive seen intake bellows covered in oil (it could have been that extra oil was inserted in the engine) but why take that chance. Over the years, turbo and intercooler efficiency decreases due to an oily buildup. You may ask then, why dont all turbo cars come with a catch can??? I dont know, but it ive seen a few facotry turbo cars without turbo blow off valves and have asked WHY?????
Old Dec 21, 2004, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

OCC ???? Is that Orange County Chopper in NY ?

I have never ever seen any one call it "OCC" in my last 10 years tuning my Turbo cars !
Old Dec 21, 2004, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by talalhz
OCC ???? Is that Orange County Chopper in NY ?

I have never ever seen any one call it "OCC" in my last 10 years tuning my Turbo cars !
hahaha

Old Dec 21, 2004, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

ok, one question first. When everyone refers to an oil catch can, are you talking about one in between the valve cover and the intake tubing? or between the PCV and the intake manifold? Because heres my opinion. Between the valve cover and the intake tubing is where you are talking about a buildup getting in the turbo/IC....etc BUT that is where air ENTERS the motor, not exits, so oil doesnt come out that way. I installed one that I made in that location and it was always clean. Now, the story is different when I moved it to being between the PCV and the intake manifold. I catch a very noticeable amount of oil there because that is where (oily) air is taken out of the motor and put into the intake again.. However this is a very short circuit, meaning this oily air will never leave the intake manifold and go backwards through the system to get to the turbo/IC/etc... But I have to say, I do have to dump this one often because I drive hard and ESPECIALLY when I run tolulene to bump my octane rating, it has to do with the fact that the tolulene eats the oil on the cylendar walls and so the oil becomes vaporous inside the motor.
Old Dec 21, 2004, 08:59 AM
Evolving Member

Talking

Thanks for the reply. I might go with the Weapon R catch can.
Old Dec 21, 2004, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by honki24
Between the valve cover and the intake tubing is where you are talking about a buildup getting in the turbo/IC....etc BUT that is where air ENTERS the motor, not exits, so oil doesnt come out that way.
When you are under boost, the PCV is closed and the only vent that you have from the valve cover is the breather hose to the intake pipe attached to the turbo. Oil does indeed get blown through this hose into the intake pipe. Maybe not as much as the PVC line during vacuum conditions, but it definitely does. Over the years the amount of oil can coat your intake pipe, IC and IC pipes with oil.

I have had a catch can installed on this breather hose for a few years. I remember before I had this catch can, when I upgraded to a front mount and new turbo on my Eclipse, there was oil inside the stock intercooler and IC pipes. Since then, the catch can has been on the breather line and it has caught oil. Not a ton of it, but definitely some. I just use a cheap $3 fuel filter in line with the hose and I replace it every few oil changes.

Eric
Old Dec 21, 2004, 09:34 AM
Evolving Member

If you do run one, make sure there is some sort of substrate in the can to catch the oil droplets out of the crankase gas. Some cans don't have them (I had the round Greddy can and it was just a hollow can, completely pointless). Oil coating the intercooler can decrease cooling efficiency.
Old Dec 21, 2004, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

You may want to read my post about my catch cans. I talk a little about the ins and outs of the both of them. There is also a nice diagram of the Evo PCV system.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=51997
Old Dec 21, 2004, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

I really couldn't say if its worth it... I made my own breather and I've yet to see much oil come through it.
Old Dec 21, 2004, 09:45 AM
Evolving Member

I use a "breather" filter, like the old skool DSM guys do it, to replace the line running to the intake. They are like 3-10 bucks, maybe more for a K&N. Some oil will soak through after a while, about 10-12,000 miles, depending how hard you drive.
Old Dec 21, 2004, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Thats what I'm doin.. kickin it oldskool

I have some oil on mine just not much.. I can smell it though.
Old Dec 21, 2004, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by justchil
Thats what I'm doin.. kickin it oldskool

I have some oil on mine just not much.. I can smell it though.

That's the problem. Be sure to have the air to recirculate when starting the car in the cold when stationary.
Old Dec 21, 2004, 09:58 AM
Evolving Member

I don't have one on my EVO, but I did install one when I turbo'd my eclipse. There was never any oil in it, I had rebuilt the engine with JE pistons & rings. I guess it would depend on whether or not you get a lot of blowby.

Quick Reply: Is an Oil Catch Can worth getting?