Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Titanium Exhaust Q

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2005, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Titanium Exhaust Q

It seems EVERY Ti exhaust system I have looked at necks down, including Greddy! Does anyone know of a system (Titanium) that does NOT neck down?

Now I would go with the BR system but I just hate the muffler on it.
I like Helix but the system is as heavy as stock and Id rather try and shed some weight off the car. Thanks.
Old Jan 24, 2005, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Soon2BEVO
It seems EVERY Ti exhaust system I have looked at necks down, including Greddy! Does anyone know of a system (Titanium) that does NOT neck down?

Now I would go with the BR system but I just hate the muffler on it.
I like Helix but the system is as heavy as stock and Id rather try and shed some weight off the car. Thanks.
Greedy does neck down but it necks down to 3". The piping size is like 3.15" (80mm).
Old Jan 24, 2005, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

yeah, don't sweat it.

but as for your question, i was torturing myself for a while about what exhaust to get because everything seemed to neck down.... but the greddy necked down to 3" so i chose that.
Old Jan 24, 2005, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hueman
yeah, don't sweat it.

but as for your question, i was torturing myself for a while about what exhaust to get because everything seemed to neck down.... but the greddy necked down to 3" so i chose that.
Oh good. this makes me happy. Now, heres a question, does anyone make titanium test pipes?

Also for guys with Greddy Ti, is it too loud droning inside cabin bc I will be doing a lot of highway driving. Thanks for the input guys!
Old Jan 24, 2005, 01:14 PM
Evolving Member

i know Mines makes a Ti test pipe, but its only 2.75" i know bulletproof sells it, i dont know about anyone else......as for the loudness, the greddy is very loud, but its tolerable...ive taken 2 four-hour trips in it and it didnt get too annoying
Old Jan 24, 2005, 01:21 PM
Evolving Member

Soon2Bevo - I had the Greddy Titanium on my 03 and would not recommend it. It was extremely loud and with a test pipe or HF Cat the thing melted my bumper and tossed up tons of black residue onto my bumper. I had to wax the area clean every week. It did not stick out far enough. Th tip is not titanium!!! I would not mess up that wonderful blue with the Greddy TI. The exhaust looks and feels fantastic underneath the car but who really looks underneath. It does have a silencer but the thing rattles and falls out after a little while. If you totally tighten it plus it bends the tip. Shoddy work in my opinion.

If you get this exhaust I would get a bumper cover from lancershop.com immediately!!!!!
Old Jan 24, 2005, 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Sloop
Soon2Bevo - I had the Greddy Titanium on my 03 and would not recommend it. It was extremely loud and with a test pipe or HF Cat the thing melted my bumper and tossed up tons of black residue onto my bumper. I had to wax the area clean every week. It did not stick out far enough. Th tip is not titanium!!! I would not mess up that wonderful blue with the Greddy TI. The exhaust looks and feels fantastic underneath the car but who really looks underneath. It does have a silencer but the thing rattles and falls out after a little while. If you totally tighten it plus it bends the tip. Shoddy work in my opinion.

If you get this exhaust I would get a bumper cover from lancershop.com immediately!!!!!
Well, I think loudness-wise its pretty much preference. It seems some people say its very loud, others say its not bad, I dont mind loud at all, in fact I like it, just not too much droning in the cabin, that can annoy me. Otherwise, about the soot. Dont all exhaust systems kick out the soot without the cat in place? Or is this system just worse because the tip being not out enough beyond the bumper?

Also, to everyone who chimed in about how great this exhaust is, do you guys agree about the soot problem????
Old Jan 24, 2005, 03:42 PM
Evolving Member

when i got mine I also got a carbon fiber heat shield, so I dont notice any soot....but most exhausts dont clear the rear bumper anyway, so when you run catless, they all will get soot on the bumper....
Old Jan 24, 2005, 03:58 PM
Evolving Member

I run the Greddy Ti with test pipe. (offroad) It spits a ton of black and to me is very loud. I think you have to pay to play. For the lightweight performance advantage I don't think you can avoid those two burdens. Bumper cover is a MUST!
Old Jan 24, 2005, 06:49 PM
Evolving Member

Greddy Ti is loud, but you will learn to love it. It is fully titanium, tip included, as you cannot weld titanium to steel and it is welded to the muffler can which is titanium.
Old Jan 25, 2005, 12:02 AM
Evolved Member

Or you could get the Tanabe ultra medallion exhaust. It's also a 80mm diameter that necks down to 3 in. It's not a full titanium exhaust. just the canister and tip, the rest of the piping is stainless steel. It 's not as light as the Greddy Ti, but it's way lighter than the stock exhaust. Also it's about $300.00 cheaper than the Greddy Ti. Not very loud either even at WOT.
Old Jan 25, 2005, 12:23 AM
Evolved Member

greddy's loud man. i got pulled over w/my silencer in

i have a cf heat shield and never noticed anything wrong with the soot levels or anything.. so it's a cheap and effective (and stylish) way to counter the length issue.

and it will dent pretty good if you hit **** against it...

like a huge chunk of ice....
Old Jan 25, 2005, 12:49 AM
Evolving Member

another issue, the bottlenecking of the exhaust is more harmful to the exhaust flow then it would be to just have the smaller diameter piping, you have to know how exhaust gas works in order to fully understand this, it would be better to have a 2.5 exhaust then it would to have a 3 inch taper to 2.75
Old Jan 25, 2005, 01:11 AM
Evolved Member

In the case of the exhaust tapering down, I don't think that it does any harm to the exhast flow. Because the exhaust is entering from the small end and exiting through the larger end. As long as the taper is larger or equal to the cat or cat delete and DP ther shouldn't be a problem.

If you had a 3in. DP that entered into a 2.5in cat or exhaust then that would be a problem.
Old Jan 25, 2005, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Soon2BEVO
Now, heres a question, does anyone make titanium test pipes?
Do a seach for stillway. Bulletproof sells their titanium test pipe and it is 80mm.