Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

turning off engine with downpipe

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2005, 06:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
turning off engine with downpipe

After installing the dp and test pipe I notice that after shutting the engine off the car shakes a bit, mostly from the engine. Is this normal or is the dp bolted on too tight?
Old Feb 9, 2005, 06:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
highley doubt it will shake the whole car for only loose bolts check motor mounts have you done a clutch installed on the vechile ?? thats what im assuming right now
Old Feb 9, 2005, 06:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by redevo561
highley doubt it will shake the whole car for only loose bolts check motor mounts have you done a clutch installed on the vechile ?? thats what im assuming right now
Have not installed a clutch or mess with any other bolts besides the dp and test pipe.
Old Feb 9, 2005, 06:27 AM
Evolved Member

well what i would check is the 2 bolts that hook up to the o2 housing they tend to loosen if not tighten
Old Feb 9, 2005, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

^^ If he didn't mess with the O2 housing then they wouldn't be loose.
Old Feb 9, 2005, 08:26 AM

Sounds normal.
Old Feb 9, 2005, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sleet
^^ If he didn't mess with the O2 housing then they wouldn't be loose.
I think he means DP to O2 housing. Check those 2 bolts.
Old Feb 9, 2005, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

I will check out any loose bolts next time I go to the shop but like I said the only thing was changed was the dp and test pipe. The car engine shakes in a way like those old cars would do when you shut it off. It may be normal when installing a turbo back.
Old Feb 9, 2005, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

yes was mentioning downpipe to o2
Old Feb 9, 2005, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

hows the clerance with the tie bars?it might be rubbing a bit making that sound when turning off?
Old Feb 9, 2005, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It sounds like your car is "dieseling" which is not related to your downpipe. Did you put in 87 octane gas or something?
Old Feb 9, 2005, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

I only put 98 octane in my car. At first it didnt do this but a week later after my mods I could feel it more. Its not that bad but noticeable. I believe the tie bars clear because we used 5cm spacers. There isnt a sound really just more of a vibration when you turn off the engine.
Old Feb 9, 2005, 09:38 AM
Evolving Member

Well, I dont know what it could be but I have a short video of my car shutting off. It kinda rattles a little when it shuts off. I have a 3" TB with a perin test pipe.

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wNzc3MzA5NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D
Old Feb 9, 2005, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

I think I have the same problem but I dont know if the exhaust tip is rattling but it may be because of the new pipe(more sturdy)installed the vibration could be felt more. Less dampening I believe.
Originally Posted by Ztypestock8
Well, I dont know what it could be but I have a short video of my car shutting off. It kinda rattles a little when it shuts off. I have a 3" TB with a perin test pipe.

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wNzc3MzA5NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D
Old Feb 9, 2005, 09:55 AM
Evolving Member

im pretty sure i know what it is.

your new "invidia" DP, does it have a flex joint? if not, then whats happening( PROBABLY) is that all the stress from the motors major moving parts (crank shaft, connecting rods) are slowing down considerably fast, and causing the motor to shake. ever played with a gyroscope? when the inner wheel is spinning fast, the gyroscope has little vibrations and moves smoothly. when it slows down the balance gets all off kilter and the g-scope falls over. So, when engines are turned off, the motors momentum causes it to shake, because of the rapis reduction of movement. with the stock DP there is a flex joint in it, that lets the vibrations from the motor kind of "absorb" into the flex joint and your car doesnt shake.

having a flex joint in any DP i believe is mandatory because without it, you will be putting high ammounts of stress on the connecting points where the turbo connects to the exhaust manifold, the engine head, and anywhere else that connects to the motor. ever seen an exhaust muffler shake when someone revs the motor? do you want that shake to travel all the way up to the exhaust manifold and head connection, possibly putting high stress on those bolts? not me...

Quick Reply: turning off engine with downpipe