Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Transmission and t-case oil/fluid

Old Mar 24, 2005, 04:11 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Transmission and t-case oil/fluid

so hard to find these through search. So here it is.

Oem, diaqueen sae-90, GL-5 specific and only GL-5 for your rear differential and your Transfercase.

Syncromesh GL-4 specific for your transmission. GL-4 will be thinner than GL-5 spec.

that's what I got out of it. that and 75w-90w is the weight for the transmission.

some people had problems with royal purple, redline, etc, some did great with it.

it's recommended to death that you use GL-5 specific oil for your T-case and GL-4 specific for your transmission.

Don't use any all-in-one crap like GL-3, 4 and 5 in one oils.

BG syncromesh is used in Transmission.

i think i got most of it written down.

correct me if i'm wrong.
Old Mar 25, 2005, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with the OEM for the transfer and rear end.....but pennzoil for the tranny has me concerned. I dont remember seeing a gl4 rating on the bottle though it is company claimed it to be "yellow metal safe" i.e. ok for synchro's.

I found redline MT-90 to be a match when it comes to viscosity yet some people complain that their transmission is to sticky. Some reccomend using a blend of MTL and MT90. MTL is a lighter gear oil weight version of MT-90, both GL-4 rated.

Amsoil has a 80w-90 gearoil gl-4 rated. According to their website, they reduce the friction coeficient to improve drivibility but we do need friction for the synchros to work properly.

If Mitsu sold the tranny fluid by the quart or even gallon, id buy it
Old Mar 25, 2005, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I use OEM Diaqueen in the transfer case and rear diff.

I have used MT90 in the trans and now BG Syncroshift. They both started smooth. The MT90 did start to get a little bit notchy and I haven't had the BG long enough to see a change. BG and Pennzoil is the same thing apparently but the Pnzoil is cheaper.
Old Mar 25, 2005, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm going to be putting in the BG Syncroshift in my tranny this weekend, the redline 75w-90w in my rear, and the redline Lightweight Shockproof in my transfer case.

RRE recommends this, even though some people have had problems with redline I guess it is worth a shot. If I don't like it I will be draining it and going back to OEM.
Old Mar 25, 2005, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by crusin_lancer
I'm going to be putting in the BG Syncroshift in my tranny this weekend, the redline 75w-90w in my rear, and the redline Lightweight Shockproof in my transfer case.

RRE recommends this, even though some people have had problems with redline I guess it is worth a shot. If I don't like it I will be draining it and going back to OEM.
If you put 75-90 in your car in any part, good luck.
Old Mar 25, 2005, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

FYI, BG is straight SAE 75W. Synchromesh is around SAE 80W. These do not meet the factory viscosity requirements stated in the shop manual. Take this FWIW.
Old Mar 25, 2005, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

I have used all Redline for well over 10,000 with no problems FYI.... I know this is not that type of thread, but I thought I would share.
Old Mar 25, 2005, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by marksae
FYI, BG is straight SAE 75W. Synchromesh is around SAE 80W. These do not meet the factory viscosity requirements stated in the shop manual. Take this FWIW.
I have been running the BG syncroshift for a year now and I just developed tranny whine while downshifting.......

One year with the factory fluid and no noise and one year with the BG and some tranny whine....kinda sux, but I really don't wanna go back to the factory stuff.
Old Mar 25, 2005, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOTEXAS
Well I guess we'll see what happens.
Old Mar 25, 2005, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I don't know the specific weights or viscosities for any of our drivetrain lubricants, but I can tell you in my opinion and experience with 1g AWD's that NEO synthetic is the VERY BEST..I had amazing results with NEO synthetic Racing heavy duty gear oil..It is probably the worst when cold, but once it gets up to temp there is really nothing like it.. www.bakerprecision.com
Old Mar 25, 2005, 05:56 PM
Evolving Member

BG in tranny and OEM Diaqueen in t-case and rear diff here. Only 3200 miles on car but no problems yet.
Old Mar 28, 2005, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOTEXAS

I'm looking at a printout of the service manual dealing with On-Vechicle Service for Transaxle and Transfer Oil Services and it states GL-4 SAE 75W-85W or 75W-90 for the Tranny and GL-5 SAE90 for the Transfer.

IF you have better information that this? please share???
Old Mar 28, 2005, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rsboy
I'm looking at a printout of the service manual dealing with On-Vechicle Service for Transaxle and Transfer Oil Services and it states GL-4 SAE 75W-85W or 75W-90 for the Tranny and GL-5 SAE90 for the Transfer.

IF you have better information that this? please share???
Here you go:
Old Mar 28, 2005, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

BG synchro no syn in tran oem diaqueen in tc and diff

synchro from RRe
diaqueen from lancershop
Old Mar 28, 2005, 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

Just got done putting in my driveline fluids and all I can say is wow. The BG syncro is awesome, it shifts so smooth and isn't all notchy like the OEM fluid.

Tranny: BG Syncro
TC: Redline Lightweight Shockproof
Rear Diff: Redline 75-90

I know all you hater Redline guys out there, but everything sounds and seems smooth I couldn't be happier. Thanks RRE for the fluids!!! Great service and fast delivery.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission and t-case oil/fluid