Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

GSC 262in/272ex Cam Dyno Results (dynoflashed)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2005, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Evol_VIII
That is what I thought as well. I thought I read that these cams came from the same factory and were "identical" but didn't say HKS on them so they could be sold at a cheaper price. $549 a set? I can get HKS cams for less then that.
They are cheaper $499.00, plus free shipping!! Here's where bought mine, Dru at Logic Performance
http://www.logicperformance.com/data...roducts_id=728
Old Mar 26, 2005, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
What is GSC recommending on valve springs? It seems like if these cams really do make more power than HKS with the same duration and max lift, then they must have steeper cam lobes. I can't think of any other way that they could make more power. And if they do have steeper lobes, then they would be harder on valvesprings. Either that, or they are "underrated" on lift in general, which would also create a need for different valvesprings given that HKS lifts are already put the retainer closer to the valveseals. Has GSC said anything about how their cams compare to HKS in specs and lobe profile? I don't think I've seen anything.
Supposedly someone is gonna do some comparison tests between the HKS and GSC cams and post the results. I'm not sure who is doing the actual testing, but im sure your could look around the forums to find some dyno charts with some HKS cams and compare it to the dyno chart on this thread. As for vale springs, Evo11V doesn't have any aftermarket valve springs listed on his mods. If u plan on revving over the stock rev limiter, its always a good idea to get new valve springs and retainers just as a safety precaution. U can pick some up at Logic Performance for a good price. I was planning on getting some from crower ($269 from LP). Hope that answers ur question!
Old Mar 26, 2005, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts
yes stock valve spring, only thing i have so i can rev to 8k safe with the ARP headstuds, and also allow me to run higher boost in the future.
Old Mar 26, 2005, 08:25 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Al at Dynoflash is the one working on the comparo. That won't really answer the question though. The question isn't just whether one brand makes more power -- it's how and why it makes more power. With camshafts, sometimes more power/tq comes at the price of longtime valvetrain longevity. For example, in the domestic world, Comp Cams makes a line of camshafts called the Xtreme Energy series. They have steeper lobe profiles and make much better hp/tq than more traditional grinds with the same specs (they split the difference between a traditional hydraulic lobe profile and a solid lifter lobe profile). Only problem is that they really beat up your valvetrain and require a stouter, lighter valvespring/retainer set-up and stiffer hydraulic lifters to give optimal performance over the long haul. Just tossing them on a car and doing an initial dyno doesn't necessarily tell the whole story, especially on a daily driver. I've got one of those cams in my Camaro and it makes great power, but about 10K miles later I had to replace the valvesprings and put in bettery springs and Ti retainers to continue to rev cleanly to redline. It's worth it to me, but it's definitely a hidden cost of the improved performance.

Last edited by EVO8LTW; Mar 26, 2005 at 08:30 AM.
Old Mar 26, 2005, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

Al at Dynoflash is the one working on the comparo. That won't really answer the question though. The question isn't just whether one brand makes more power -- it's how and why it makes more power. With camshafts, sometimes more power/tq comes at the price of longtime valvetrain longevity. For example, in the domestic world, Comp Cams makes a line of camshafts called the Xtreme Energy series. They have steeper lobe profiles and make much better hp/tq than more traditional grinds with the same specs (they split the difference between a traditional hydraulic lobe profile and a solid lifter lobe profile). Only problem is that they really beat up your valvetrain and require a stouter, lighter valvespring/retainer set-up and stiffer hydraulic lifters to give optimal performance over the long haul. Just tossing them on a car and doing an initial dyno doesn't necessarily tell the whole story, especially on a daily driver. I've got one of those cams in my Camaro and it makes great power, but about 10K miles later I had to replace the valvesprings and put in bettery springs and Ti retainers to continue to rev cleanly to redline. It's worth it to me, but it's definitely a hidden cost of the improved performance.
I see what ur saying.....but regardless of what cams u buy (HKS, GSC, etc...) it's always a good idea to beef up ur valve train. Antime u plan on revving over the stock redline, the stock valve train is gonna get beat up regardless. I understand there are some hidden costs to get the best results and drivability, but, IMO, it deosn't matter if the GSC cmas r gonna wear out my spings a couple thousand miles sooner than the HKS cams, because im gonna have to upgrade my valvetrain sooner or later. Stiffer valve springs and retainers r just insurance to make sure u can continue to rev as high as u r. I'm not trying to argue with u, im just giving u my opinion.
Old Mar 26, 2005, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Damn I need cams! Did you do the install yourself?
Old Mar 26, 2005, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

If your really that worried, just buy new springs and retainers when you change out your cams, if your not that worried, and are going to play it by the ear perse, just install the cams with stock valvetrain.
I mean not to be funny, just the way I'm seeing your question is like do you want a straw with that milkshake or without? Some people will get it a straw to be safe, and some will risk not having one and may end up spilling some on your shirt!!

Bottom line if you feel more comfortable doing springs and retainers when you do your cams, then do it.
Old Mar 26, 2005, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts
No I had a Evo god install them, GILL AKA Superz
Old Mar 26, 2005, 04:43 PM
Evolving Member

Can't wait to see the numbers from Al's comparison!
Old Mar 26, 2005, 09:27 PM
Account Disabled

What is the difference between these CAMS and the HKS units? I mean if they have the same lift and duration? How will one be better then the Other? I run straight 272's and get teh Same WHP, so My guess is that they are just as good? IDK.
Old Mar 26, 2005, 10:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by umiami80
What is the difference between these CAMS and the HKS units? I mean if they have the same lift and duration? How will one be better then the Other? I run straight 272's and get teh Same WHP, so My guess is that they are just as good? IDK.
i think there might be some hype involved for sales
Old Mar 27, 2005, 01:40 AM
Evolved Member

Impressive gains. Now who wants to get rid of their HKS's!
I need some for cheap!
Old Mar 27, 2005, 09:52 AM
Account Disabled

Good points. The HKS hae proven to be very very reliable. However - my JUN 272 cams with much higher and more agresive lift (Ferrea valves and springs) have also exhibited zero problems. As for GSC Cams - I am not at liberty to say but the plant were they are made is the best in the world for making cams and the cams are of the very best quality and materials.

The purpose of my test will be to see how the power and tq is effected with the various cams on the same car - same dyno. I am also trying to get the Crower cams to test as well.

I can not test long term wear and reliability - but do not think it will be an issue.
Old Mar 27, 2005, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

I need some for cheap!
i just got rid of my hks 264 s for $300
cant wait to get gsc cams!
Old Mar 27, 2005, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

I need some for cheap!i just got rid of my hks 264 s for $300
cant wait to get gsc cams!

Quick Reply: GSC 262in/272ex Cam Dyno Results (dynoflashed)