Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

High pitched noise at idle

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2005, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile High pitched noise at idle

I have tried to search for an answer to my problem unsuccessfully...

Whenever my car is idling, I hear a very high pitched sound inside the car. This could be a normal sound, but today I really noticed the sound when I looked under the rear of the car at the exhaust. It seemed to be coming from the back of the car. It did not seem to be coming from the engine bay, but maybe the engine overwhelmed the sound. This is really hard to describe and it probably is something normal, but I wanted to make sure. Can anyone relate to this sound? When driving, the sound stops, probably due to the road noise. The only mods I have done are: Evo MR Diverter Valve, Ralliart Spark Plug wires, Hallman Pro MBC, Defi D Boost Gauge, Greddy oil catch can, Grounding cables and quite a few cosmetic/show upgrades.

Someone please just tell me that I'm an idiot and all our cars make that noise.
Thanks.
Old May 6, 2005, 07:30 PM
Evolving Member

Fuel pump. Did you buy the car used?

Devin
Old May 6, 2005, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Second the fuel pump.
Old May 6, 2005, 07:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like an exhaust leak to me.
Try this, let your car completly cool off. Fire it back up, but before it gets hot try and feel around all the exhaust flanges. If there a leak you should be able to feel it.
Old May 6, 2005, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

new clutch? if you do and one of you vents is in backwards you can get water in there on the tb and it will cause a high pitched whine..... or as they say .. the pump/// got an alky kit.. if so then youll hear the whine on that pump also...
Old May 7, 2005, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

I just bought the car in Feb 05 brand new, only 12 miles on it or so. They gave me a great deal for it still being an 04 model. The exhaust leak was the first thought that popped into my head, but after searching through other posts it didn't seem like it was the problem. I am going to check it for leaks though. I am also awaiting my RMR catback and Test pipe, so I'm not going to worry about fixing the leaks on the stocker if there are any. If it still is a problem I'll have the dealer check the fuel pump and such. ...Really was hoping to avoid a trip down there anytime soon.

Thank you for the help guys.
Old May 7, 2005, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Get in the back seat and touch your ear to it. The fuel tank access is under the rear seat, and the pump is just inside. You should be able to narrow down the possibilities if it's really noticable when you try to listen for it.
Old May 7, 2005, 01:48 PM
Evolving Member

THANK GOD!!!!!!!!! finally someone else with the same problem.

If you put your head under the car behind the rear door it sounds like it comes from right there!!!!! WTF is IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 7, 2005, 01:49 PM
Evolving Member

like a high pitched yet somewhat settle ring
Old May 7, 2005, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Quickshifter
like a high pitched yet somewhat settle ring
\

Exactly
Old May 7, 2005, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

did you purchase the o2 sim with the exhaust... if not youll throw a code... not bad , just annoying..
Old May 7, 2005, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 03BREvo8
did you purchase the o2 sim with the exhaust... if not youll throw a code... not bad , just annoying..
Yeah I kind of figured that, but I'm going to attempt the anti-fouler trick. If that doesn't work, then the O2 sim will be purchased.

Okay, I just got finished ripping my backseat out and listening to the two black metal covers under the seat. (That is where the fuel pump is right?) The sound seems just as prominent on both sides. I think the pump is on the drivers side. It definatley is coming from that area, so if this is due to an exhaust leak, it's definatley a leak after the cat. I'll find out after the catback install. But like most have suggested, it's probably the fuel pump. Okay now one last question. Is this the normal fuel pump sound or is this a defective-I'm-going-to-break-down-any-day-now sound? Thanks.
Old May 7, 2005, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah its on the drivers side.. youll need to be paitient when you attempt to remove the screw down ring and take the pump assembly out.. you have to rotate them both the right point and angle... just make sure you empty the fuel line.. take out the 3 relays under the dash and turn the key .. that will empty the fuel line... then disconnect the 3 hoses and harness from the top of the assembly.... with the back seat off youll hear a slight whine... with a new pump youll hear a even louder one...
Old May 7, 2005, 03:15 PM
Evolved Member

Bump it up
Old May 9, 2005, 11:23 AM

Oh, I just heard this "whine" today on my car. Same description and everything, first I thought my TC was going out but I'll guess I'll go check out the Walbro. Hopefully it's just a crappy FP.

Quick Reply: High pitched noise at idle