Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

EVO6 maintenance question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2002, 02:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EVO6 maintenance question

http://www.jackals-forge.com/lotus/evo/evo_buying.html

"EVOs have to be serviced every 4500 miles and have to be serviced by a Mitsubishi dealer who has MUT11 equipment to service the AYC. At 180-250 pounds for a service (£580 for 45000 miles service). This can obviously get quite costly and many cars have been in the hands of people who found out they couldn't afford to run the thing AFTER they got the car so be on the look out. If you intend to easily sell your car on you will need to stick to the service schedule and go to a proper Mitsi Ralliart dealer"

My question is this: Do American Mitsubishi dealerships have MUT11 equipment? They might need it if Mitsubishi currently carries AYC equipped cars like SUV's but since we don't have any Mitsu dealerships in Canada I can't simply go ask them myself. Thanks!

£580 for the 45000 miles service sounds insane!! Wonder if the USDM EVO7 service schedule will be like this too. Might even be more expensive because now you've (hopefully on the GSR's anyway) the extra complexity of the merged ACD unit as well.
Old Jan 11, 2002, 03:26 AM
Evolved Member

Those prices are that expensive if you're not very creative and don't look for a reasonable small outfit that will do the job better and a lot cheaper than a Ralliart approved dealer. Bleeding the AYC with the MUTII seems to be the only way at the moment so he's right about that. In Europe at least every Mitsubishi dealer has a MUTII cause it is the standard Mitsubishi service equipment, the question is if they have the right software for it. But that can't be that hard to get.
Old Jan 11, 2002, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

Hmm, that'd be great if that's how it works. I thought you needed to do what you described AND use the MUT.... If your thing works, I'll do it myself!!
Old Jan 11, 2002, 09:52 AM

It's interesting that the WSM for the e4&5 describes a method similar to what Claudius described but the E6 WSM states you must use MUT. Personally i think its Mitsi trying to make sure that only there authorised dealers can do a service.
Old Jan 11, 2002, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

oli,

I concur. I'll just order the fluid and do it myself. Can the fluid be ordered from somewhere else other than Mitsi??
Old Jan 11, 2002, 05:31 PM
Evolving Member

I suppose Mitsu dealers would use MUT-II to service E7 ACD/AYC units as well?

I'm asking these questions on the off-chance I can somehow import an E6. If that's true then at least I can get it serviced when Mitsu opens up dealers here in Canada or when nearby American dealers get the MUT-II machinery/software. Ahh the joys of living in Canada!
Old Jan 23, 2002, 04:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Replacing the AYC fluid does not need the MUTII tester.

The ayc filler plug is at the rear of the diff housing and high up. Its is obscured by the crossmembers, but is stamped ' OIL '.
Jack up the rear of the car, crawl under and look forwards to the diff, joggle your sight around over the crossmembers to the diff housing u should see it. Removing it is easy, but replacing it takes a lot of patience because of limited access, but it can be done. Check your hands for fit BEFORE u remove it. You will need a 17mm ring spanner for the
filler plug and a 24mm socket for the drain. Remember the normal diff oil plugs are nearby, dont get them mixed up.
To fill it u need a large syringe and some tubing, or get some empty mastic tubes and make your own large syringe ( I believe RS Components now sell these ).

The ATF fluid that is topped up from the reservoir in the boot requires the MUTII to drain properly.

Andy
Old Jan 23, 2002, 07:00 PM

As Andy said you do not need the MUTII to replace the AYC fluid.
My car has done 50,000km and I do all the servicing work myself, the AYC fluid change is a simple drain and re-fill just like the gearbox or diff.
Just make sure you use genuine Mitsu AYC fluid p/n MZ102520 1litre.
The MUTII is needed if you replace the ATF actuation fluid, res in the boot, to bleed this system. I can't see any reason to change this fluid unless there is a problem, it is totally seperate to the AYC fluid and AYC diff clutch plates. I mean how often do you replace your power steering fluid. Anyway I have had no probs and still have the original ATF fluid.
Old Jan 23, 2002, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

This is the conclusion that I came to today also when reading the WSM. So to change the AYC fluid, you just let the old one drain out and top it with new one. Exactly the same procedure as changing f.e. gearbox oil, right?
Old Jan 24, 2002, 01:05 AM

Yep, its as easy as that, if you have the manual you have all the info you need. And contrary to popular belief the fill plug isn't difficult to remove and refit, unless you have the manual dexterity of an elephant

The job takes me 15mins to complete using a car pit for easy access.
Old Jan 24, 2002, 01:17 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks Clive! I'll register the beast tomorrow, and next weekend it'll damper cleaning AYC and diff oil changing time... I know I'll curse like a maroccan peasant, but as soon as I've finished I'll feel 100% better than before Haven't had cut fingers for such a long time...
Old Jan 28, 2002, 03:37 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Claudius
Billy
cant you buy one used in Germany and register in the US?
Oh how I wish that were true. I definitely do the buying part but it's the registration part that is hard.

And oh, I'm in Toronto, Canada so technically that makes me Canadian not American.

Incidentally, how much does a used but not abused LHD EVO6-RS2 cost in Germany? Does www.lancerregister.com have most of the ads? Thanks!

Quick Reply: EVO6 maintenance question