Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

AEM MAP sensor seems very inaccurate

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2005, 05:48 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
AEM MAP sensor seems very inaccurate

I just got an AEM 3.5 bar MAP sensor and, using the voltage to pressure specs included with the sensor, it is reading almost 3 psi lower than my Defi D boost gauge and almost 2 psi lower than my electronic boost controller.

Do you really just need to take the enclosed calibration with a grain of salt and derive the proper conversion table from an accurate reference source?

All 3 boost gauges are tee'd off the same vacuum line from the manifold and the most distant one from the manifold is reading the highest and the closest one is reading the lowest.
Old May 22, 2005, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, generally boost gauge sensor (cheap) arent as good as a nice map sensor. I used to have 3 things tapped to my boost line and they all read a few PSI from eachother. Where do you have the AEM MAP sensor connected?
Old May 22, 2005, 07:36 PM
EvoM Guru

The Defi boost gauge is mechanical. Boost line to the AEM is tapped off the factory vacuum line from the intake manifold to the BOV.
Old May 22, 2005, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
I just got an AEM 3.5 bar MAP sensor and, using the voltage to pressure specs included with the sensor, it is reading almost 3 psi lower than my Defi D boost gauge and almost 2 psi lower than my electronic boost controller.

Do you really just need to take the enclosed calibration with a grain of salt and derive the proper conversion table from an accurate reference source?

All 3 boost gauges are tee'd off the same vacuum line from the manifold and the most distant one from the manifold is reading the highest and the closest one is reading the lowest.
Have you tried testing all 3 independently? Is there no pressure loss with multiple taps?
Old May 22, 2005, 08:04 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Have you tried testing all 3 independently? Is there no pressure loss with multiple taps?
I had the Defi boost gauge first when the car was fairly stock. Boost peaked at 19 psi and fell to about 16 psi by redline. Seemed about right. Then I added a Blitz electronic boost controller tapped off the same line. The Blitz reads about 1.2 psi lower than than the mechanical gauge, but the line to the Defi gauge is longer, so I would have assumed that any pressure loss would make the Defi read lower, not higher. The AEM map sensor is the closest of all to the boost source and I've seen no change in the reading of the Defi and Blitz ebc from adding the AEM MAP sensor.
Old May 22, 2005, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

I had the Defi boost gauge first when the car was fairly stock. Boost peaked at 19 psi and fell to about 16 psi by redline. Seemed about right. Then I added a Blitz electronic boost controller tapped off the same line. The Blitz reads about 1.2 psi lower than than the mechanical gauge, but the line to the Defi gauge is longer, so I would have assumed that any pressure loss would make the Defi read lower, not higher. The AEM map sensor is the closest of all to the boost source and I've seen no change in the reading of the Defi and Blitz ebc from adding the AEM MAP sensor.
Noted. I'm not sure then...you'd think the MAP was more accurate. It may go back to your original thought of boost being relative to the observer. Maybe you are seeing ACCURATE boost pressure, whereas everyone else THINKS they are running higher boost. I'd like to hear the conclusion of this...
Old May 22, 2005, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

I would trust the EMS map sensor over anything else. Especially over a mechanical gauge and an EBC display.

besides, boost pressure is only a relative thing anyway. who cares what boost pressure your actually running? Just run the most you can get away with in your tuning variables. If that ends up being 20 or 22, or 24 on one gauge and 20 on another..what differance does it make in the end.
Old May 22, 2005, 08:11 PM
Evolving Member

The map sensor is medical grade and accurate to 1/10 or so of 1 psi. All of the regular boost gauges I have seen, read a little off and too high at higher psi. Rely on the map if you want to know what you are really boosting too...
Old May 22, 2005, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DSMotorsport
besides, boost pressure is only a relative thing anyway. who cares what boost pressure your actually running? Just run the most you can get away with in your tuning variables. If that ends up being 20 or 22, or 24 on one gauge and 20 on another..what differance does it make in the end.
Well, one thing would be the life of the turbo...
Old May 22, 2005, 08:36 PM
Evolving Member

i was told by a few supra and evo buddies of mine not to tee off of the same manifold vacuum source too many times as this could possibly cause inaccurate readings. i have my hks evc and defi boost gauge tee off of 2 different vacuum lines and they read almost dead on with each other. i could be wrong though just my 2 cents.
Old May 22, 2005, 09:09 PM
Account Disabled

Funny thing - the AEM reads low on boost

Compare the sensor voltage as logged by AEM and sensor calibration (sensor manufacturer) and you will see what I am talking about

I refer to AEM boost as a seperate measure
Old May 22, 2005, 09:25 PM
Evolving Member

with the car off and the ignition on, what is the aem 3.5 bar giving you for a reading in the parameter window? mine seems to be reading .2psi for some reason. something might not be correct in the calibrations somehow.
Old May 23, 2005, 07:11 AM
Evolved Member

The Defi boost gauge is mechanical. Boost line to the AEM is tapped off the factory vacuum line from the intake manifold to the BOV.
I was under the impression that map sensors need to be tapped off the manifold? Perhaps the rre adapter?
Old May 23, 2005, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You may also need to calibrate it for the software using it. Depending on your sea level it will change.
Old May 28, 2005, 07:35 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by nickracer9
with the car off and the ignition on, what is the aem 3.5 bar giving you for a reading in the parameter window? mine seems to be reading .2psi for some reason. something might not be correct in the calibrations somehow.
With the car off, the sensor is reading 1.58 volts, which equals -1.2 psi using the calibration table included with the sensor. Hmmm...

Quick Reply: AEM MAP sensor seems very inaccurate