Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

having strange problems.. car went from mega rich to mega lean.

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2005, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
car went from mega rich to mega lean.. engine almost blew.

Iv been having major issues with my evo for the past month. It began when my front 02 sensor was damaged. The car started running majorly rich. I then had cam gears, fuel pump and fpr installed in preparation for tuning ( one week before the tune). I was hoping the car would get completely dialed in and everything would be taken care of.. I dont really know every detail about the car so I thought taking it to a reputable shop was the way to go.. the car baseline 186whp on a mustang dyno on the first pull after fixing the o2 sensor. It was then tuned to 221whp at 21psi with SAFCII. The hi was set at 50 and went -4 -4 -4 -4... straight to -22! The AFR was reading 11.3 and was rich up top. The mods on this car are full turboback 02 housing, full ic piping, cam gears at (0,0), walbro 255, hallman MBC, GFB BOV. I was pissed when i got home and was determined to find the problem. They recommended checking my plugs (after waiting around for 5 hours and 20+ dyno pulls im not sure why this wasnt considered at the time). I took them out and they were definately fouled.. very sooty and black with fragments on the tips. At this time i put the stock bov back in to try to eliminate any other problems. I double check fuel pressure.. it sits at 45psi (just enough to avoid hitting fuel cut).. i ran like this for a 2 weeks.. car felt good,although i believe i pulled a wastegate solenoid valve malfunction code then i changed my mbc out with an avcr. There was an mbc in this car previously, and it was hooked up funny. The intake line was running back to the boost controll solenoid. I was hooked into the bov line before and i decided to ditch this method.. capped everything and hooked it up from the turbine to the wastegate actuator and lowered the boost slightly to 1.4 bar.. now the car felt much much better as far as torque goes. I really did not push teh car in the higher rpms but we did go for a spirited drive. The only other change to the car got taller tires(wouldnt think that would matter at all)When i finally got to dyno the car a week an half later i found i was now running 12.5 AFR at 1.37bar.. the fuel curve was all over the place..there was heavy detonation and super wavy hp. The second run was aborted so the car barely put down 200hp because of the pulled timing i assume. I think im pretty damn lucky that my engine wasnt blown.

Here are some questions im thinking about.. if one sparkplug was completely fouled and that cylinder was misfiring.. would this cause the afr to appear super rich when the other cylinders were lean? ( i know nothing about this at all if it isnt obvious)

Was this a simple intake leak that i fixed while installing the ebc?

what are your opinions on someone setting an safcII tune to -22 on 91 octane at 1.5 bar without attempting to trouble shoot the problem? according to anything posted on this board.. this is pure insanity. It seems like the tune was contradictory to anything i have seen posted.. the scariest part on the a/f was at 2600 which was at 12.9 A/F

I reset the safcII with a gentle slop to +3 at 2600 down to 0 at 4000 and down to -6 (6500)until i can get this sorted out.. is this safe for now? Is it cool to push the car with these settings or should i just wait?

Last edited by bdking57; May 30, 2005 at 07:36 PM.
Old May 30, 2005, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

no ideas?.. im really in need of some expert advice.
Old May 30, 2005, 11:26 PM
Evolved Member

bump for help
Old May 30, 2005, 11:31 PM
Evolved Member

A dyno graph with A/F readout would greatly help. That way, we can see exactly what's going on. Without it, it's just opinions.
Old May 31, 2005, 06:36 AM
Evolved Member

ok.. i can post them but its just equates to the tune being way way off.. would it still help?
Old May 31, 2005, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

Are you running the stock airbox and stock MAS -> turbine pipe? Also, have you tried running stock pump with afc settings at 0 (put back to stock)? I think you would want to put all fuel changing parts back to stock 1 by 1 to eliminate them as problem areas.
Old May 31, 2005, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

Old May 31, 2005, 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

stock airbox/Maf.. lower IC piping is the only thing that has been touched on the intake side and i have the perrin upper pipe.

Originally Posted by dohcvtec
Are you running the stock airbox and stock MAS -> turbine pipe? Also, have you tried running stock pump with afc settings at 0 (put back to stock)? I think you would want to put all fuel changing parts back to stock 1 by 1 to eliminate them as problem areas.
Also i agree with the replacing the parts.. but this is why i took it to a tuner shop and was willing to pay whatever to have everything sorted out.. and i just end up getting the car handed back to me because it was to much trouble.

Whats weird is see how the torque just falls off on the original.. well after performing the fixes lifted above it seems like a more traditional graph.

Last edited by bdking57; May 31, 2005 at 05:02 PM.
Old May 31, 2005, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

Maybe i should change the name of this thread to 200 WHP DYNO THREAD PICS INSIDE.. and then i get more hits and maybe some opinions on went wrong lol.
Old May 31, 2005, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you sure you don't have an intake leak? It looks like the leak is becoming apparant at the top end and you're trying to compensate for the rich condition caused by the leak w/ your AFC settings. That's not going to work as your timing is going to go pretty high leaning out the AFC that much, which will induce knock, timing retard, and low power.
Old May 31, 2005, 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

whats your water temp on the 1st dyno pull and the 2nd hi afr reading?

2 things I noticed with tuning is on hot days the afr acts like yours, but on colder days its like yours 1st dyno pull.. The nosedive on the afr is a drop of 3-4 degrees of ignition timing (I log that also) .. 12.9 AFR is not the AFR you should be worried about .. that is your acceleration fuelling .. it would've help if you tried to do the dyno with similiar rpms .. your 12.9 is at 28~rpm whereas your 1st one is also the same ..

note hot engines (ie normal water temp) has an effect on the ecu .. so best tune the car under worst case conditions ..
Old May 31, 2005, 09:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
very sooty and black with fragments on the tips.

What do you mean by fragments?
Old May 31, 2005, 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by timzcat
What do you mean by fragments?
Old May 31, 2005, 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by marksae
Are you sure you don't have an intake leak? It looks like the leak is becoming apparant at the top end and you're trying to compensate for the rich condition caused by the leak w/ your AFC settings. That's not going to work as your timing is going to go pretty high leaning out the AFC that much, which will induce knock, timing retard, and low power.
This was my main thought.. but it appears that i corrected the problem right? It looks like i had an intake leak that was causing the toque to just drop right off..this leak was then fixed.. so the safc II was set to compensate for the intake leak, which no longer existed! Does this sound like an accurate assumption? It appears like the car was pulling timing all over the place on the most recent runs after the fix.. this would account for the low hp this time correct? im just gonna be pissed if i retune this car and it only comes out to 221.. it should be at least 245.

the question i was really hopping to get an anwser to was the one about tuning a car on fouled plugs. does a car with fouled plugs display a rich a/f?
Old May 31, 2005, 09:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tuning your car on fouled plugs could have thrown things off. You could have been compensating for a poor spark by a lean mixture (easier to burn).

From a troubleshooting standpoint, you can always set your AFC settings back to 0 and start over. Just write down your current settings if you want to revert back to it later. This is why you really need a datalogger when tuning as an air/fuel reading doesn't tell the whole story. Logged timing values will tell a lot more.

I'd do a compression check on your motor to make sure everything is okay. Your -22 setting could have caused some serious damage.

Quick Reply: having strange problems.. car went from mega rich to mega lean.