Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Help! Spark plug #1 fouling

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2005, 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Compression test in #1 is 150 but it's false. You have excess oil in the cylinder so it's wet and boosting the numbers. I agree with joeycoates. Most likely a cracked piston or broken ring land. Leakdown test would tell you more but really I would just take the schrader valve out of the compression test hose and put compressed air in the cylinder. You will probably hear it free flowwing into the crankcase. Do it to another cylinder for comparison and you will see the difference.
Old Jul 3, 2005, 09:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So let me ask is my situation different? My #4 has oil on the threads but since I have cleaned it out down there everything is well. I have no loss in power, the actual electrode on the plug is fine and the white part is just like the others. When I saw this thread I went out and pulled the plugs and compared they all seem the same and looked down each cylinder with a flash light and they all look the same. All this talk of short blocks and cracked pistons makes me sick to my stomach.. LOL

I just have a feeling that some oil was splashed down there when the cam install was done because there was actually oil where the boot goes onto the plug itself above the area that is used to crank them in with a ratchet..

Last edited by ThEHiTMaN; Jul 3, 2005 at 09:04 PM.
Old Jul 3, 2005, 09:17 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by timzcat
Compression test in #1 is 150 but it's false. You have excess oil in the cylinder so it's wet and boosting the numbers. I agree with joeycoates. Most likely a cracked piston or broken ring land. Leakdown test would tell you more but really I would just take the schrader valve out of the compression test hose and put compressed air in the cylinder. You will probably hear it free flowwing into the crankcase. Do it to another cylinder for comparison and you will see the difference.
The hose blowing off doesn't scare me even in the slightest because we've seen it at the dyno a ton of times. Since I tapped the boost gauge there, its my fault for not zip tying it in the first place. If damage occured then, that's a possibility, but it was on race gas, and it was only a second.

Moreover, I heard no audible pinging, and I've heard a ton of knock in 4G63s before.

About pulling the oil cap, the rpm doesn't change at all. No oil blows up and out either. Air does come out of the cap, but all three Evos at my house tonight did the exact same thing, because they're supposed to (PCV valve).

Andrew from Dyno4mance was out here tonight, and he isn't really concerned that its a problem. There's no visible oil coming from the tailpipe except when we put a tiny capfull in #1 and then you could see it coming out bigtime.

The way #1 is coated is not different than a lot of other pistons I've seen, but my other three are pretty clean. Ironically, #3 is the cleanest of the bunch.

It is still making great power on the dyno and is running well with the new plug.

At this point, I'm going to take Andrew and Eric's advice and continue driving it and enjoying it. I will keep a very watchful eye on that plug and cylinder, though, and see if the oil continues to manifest.
Old Jul 4, 2005, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hope that it is not a problem, as those types of problems get expensive. Just keep an eye on it I guess.
Old Jul 4, 2005, 01:30 PM
EvoM Administrator

Me too, Joey! I've got too much going on to mess with this crap right now.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 08:39 AM
EvoM Administrator

Update:
Plug is still wet when I pull it out, but performance is good.
Its confusing, because I think I'm getting blowby, but I'm not using any oil, nor is there any visible from the tailpipe.

Maybe I need a catch can?

This sucks.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have oil on the threads, perhaps your gasket on the #1 spark plug well is shot?

Have you ever poured oil down that spark plug hole?
Old Jul 6, 2005, 09:14 AM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by ShapeGSX
If you have oil on the threads, perhaps your gasket on the #1 spark plug well is shot?

Have you ever poured oil down that spark plug hole?
You mean the valve cover gasket, right? We did have that off recently since we tried a different exhaust cam. I thought about the gasket, but then I think there'd be evidence of oil on top of the plug as well, and there isn't as far as I can detect.

You might be onto something though, Josh. That makes a lot more sense than anything else, but the bottom of the plug that physically goes into the combustion chamber is much darker than the rest of the threads. The fact they are even wet at all is suspect though.

I really appreciate your insight here. Thanks a lot, man!
Old Jul 6, 2005, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do the cylinder pressurization test that timzcat suggested, it will tell you very quickly if you have a piston problem....
Old Jul 6, 2005, 10:50 AM
EvoM Administrator

I don't have an air compressor or a leakdown tester. But I have access to that stuff through a friend. I'll try to get it done hopefully this weekend.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

Unfortunately, that sounds about right. Something closed the gap on that plug and it most likely was the piston or debris from the piston. If it was the rod then you would be hearing it. It sounds like a broken ring land.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 09:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So how exactly does this happen? What causes this problem?
Old Jul 6, 2005, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

Which problem?
I spoke to Evo2quik4u for about 1/2 hour about his car. Unfortunately it sounds like he has a broken ring land. He will know more tomorrow.

Noize,
What part of the plug is wet, exactly? The threads only, the tip and ground porcelein?
Old Jul 6, 2005, 09:58 PM
Evolved Member

Oh I just saw your post about your friend having the tools.
You can skip everything and go right to a leakdown test. This is the only true test of the ring seal in the cylinder.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 11:00 PM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by timzcat
Noize,
What part of the plug is wet, exactly? The threads only, the tip and ground porcelein?
All the above (below the ratchetable part). Nothing above that is wet.
Leakdown test coming this weekend. Will update. Thanks everyone for input.

Quick Reply: Help! Spark plug #1 fouling