Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Did only 350 AWHP ruin my triple carbon clutch?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2005, 08:15 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am now making 744 whp and I still have the soft pressure plate spring.

every time I race the car or get on the dyno I just heat it up a bit

When you have carbon fibre break rotors its the same thing - you have to warm them up a bit to get them to bite

Carbon Fiber is the ultimate in a perfromance clucth but you do have to make sure the clutch is warm when you drive hard
Old Jul 16, 2005, 08:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by smokedmustang
350AWHP, and it is a daily driver. I dont drag-race it, and wont either.
350hp and you have a $3000 clutch?

The carbon clutch shouldn't have to heat up to hold that much power. Something's not right for sure. You shouldn't need the strongest pressure plate they have to make it work. I mean heck our street setup should work just fine for you. I don't know if it would shift as good or rev as fast (haven't compared), but it would hold the power, and it's hard to beat for the money.
Old Jul 16, 2005, 08:18 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DynoFlash
I am now making 744 whp and I still have the soft pressure plate spring.

every time I race the car or get on the dyno I just heat it up a bit

When you have carbon fibre break rotors its the same thing - you have to warm them up a bit to get them to bite

Carbon Fiber is the ultimate in a perfromance clucth but you do have to make sure the clutch is warm when you drive hard
Compressed Carbon brakes(not fiber) are suppose to be fairely immediate cold or hot, unlike the carbon clutch.

Once they're heat up, they don't fade as much as mixed alloy brakes, and superior in heat dispensement and not retaining heat.

But yeh, I hope it's just heating up issue. Otherwise, it'll just suck for mustang.

I saw your other thread...
Old Jul 16, 2005, 08:21 PM
Account Disabled

yeh, that's some expensive investment. That's a lot of power to be added, if you have gotten something less expensive.

And you know How I feel about ACT.

Originally Posted by ACTman
350hp and you have a $3000 clutch?

The carbon clutch shouldn't have to heat up to hold that much power. Something's not right for sure. You shouldn't need the strongest pressure plate they have to make it work. I mean heck our street setup should work just fine for you. I don't know if it would shift as good or rev as fast (haven't compared), but it would hold the power, and it's hard to beat for the money.
Old Jul 16, 2005, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah, I got the car back but cant get it off the trailer! other thread (dyno4mance)
I bought this clutch because I could have gotten another Exedy twin metallic, (great clutch) but didnt want to have to keep replacing clutches every 25K miles, labor parts etc.. I thought If I bought the grand-daddy, I would NEVER have to change it again, as I have the HP where I want it, no big turbo kit in the future etc...

I will try your advice tomorrow Al, but I went down the same road hundreds of times, same speed/rpm etc, and the clutch NEVER slipped there before, it just did it 2 weeks ago, the day BEFORE I trailered it to Dyno4mance. This was the only time on the road I noticed it. Then when it did it on the dyno. will check it tomorrow! thanks
Old Jul 16, 2005, 09:14 PM
Former Sponsor

...I could have gotten another Exedy twin metallic, (great clutch) but didnt want to have to keep replacing clutches every 25K miles...
Good clutch maybe, but a great clutch should last longer than 25K IMO, especially since it costs a lot of coin and has other tradeoffs.
Old Jul 16, 2005, 09:25 PM
Account Disabled

Good clutch maybe, but a great clutch should last longer than 25K IMO, especially since it costs a lot of coin and has other tradeoffs.
IMHO not very classy to see you taking pot shots at Exedy's product in this manner

But since we are on the subject -

Personally, I just dont like the heavy action on the pedal of your clutch and the high inertia weight of the disks makes for slow shifts and lots of wear on synchros
Old Jul 16, 2005, 09:28 PM
Account Disabled

yeah, I got the car back but cant get it off the trailer! other thread (dyno4mance)
I bought this clutch because I could have gotten another Exedy twin metallic, (great clutch) but didnt want to have to keep replacing clutches every 25K miles, labor parts etc.. I thought If I bought the grand-daddy, I would NEVER have to change it again, as I have the HP where I want it, no big turbo kit in the future etc...

I will try your advice tomorrow Al, but I went down the same road hundreds of times, same speed/rpm etc, and the clutch NEVER slipped there before, it just did it 2 weeks ago, the day BEFORE I trailered it to Dyno4mance. This was the only time on the road I noticed it. Then when it did it on the dyno. will check it tomorrow! thanks
Is it possible that you may be making more tq than you were in the past ?

Check with Russ and verify that you have the higher clamping load pressure plate

I can only assure you that the Exedy tri[ple carbon is of the highest quality and is unrivaled in performance. Without the Exedy clutch I would be breaking a lot more parts in my drivetrain. I am still on my original transmission and all original sychros and gears with 26,000 miles - HARD miles. All of this is directly attributable to the Exedy clutches.
Old Jul 16, 2005, 09:35 PM
Account Disabled

Do you think your clutch would last longer than a day at the track on my evo - how could it last for 25,000 miles? Doesnt the duration of the life span of a clutch depend on the type of use and driving style. Some people get 80,000 on the stock clutch and others can toast in in a week.
Old Jul 16, 2005, 09:39 PM
Account Disabled

considering he's not the only one who's having problems with exedy products that costs double, even triples or more than act clutch that's good until 400whp, I don't think he's personally attacking exedy, just stating how it shouldn't be for a very expensive clutch.

Really, some people have good luck with it and love it, some people have some horrible luck with exedy.

If you do the percentage game, ACT does come up top.

It's like saying why get Ecutek if Dynoflash is cheaper and does the same thing?

I'm sure there are pros and cons of Ecutek over Dynoflash and Dynoflash over Ecutek, but really, if you think about it, he's just stating what everyone's thinking.

I think only way to find out, take it out and check it. It could be 10 different things that could be wrong.

Maybe Mustang's a bad driver. who knows. Are you a bad driver Mustang?

Last edited by plokivos; Jul 16, 2005 at 09:42 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2005, 10:11 PM
Former Sponsor

IMHO not very classy to see you taking pot shots at Exedy's product in this manner

But since we are on the subject -

Personally, I just dont like the heavy action on the pedal of your clutch and the high inertia weight of the disks makes for slow shifts and lots of wear on synchros
You may be right. I didn't mean for it to come off so strong against Exedy. I was mostly trying to poke fun at his statement. I am not saying that the Exedy Twin doesn't have it's place, but IMO it's more of a race clutch and street cars shouldn't have to go through clutches every 25K.

Our disc doesn't have much more inertia than stock. If you want less disc inertia we offer our puck disc, but we normally don't recommend them for street. There are always tradeoffs.
Old Jul 16, 2005, 10:28 PM
Account Disabled

You may be right. I didn't mean for it to come off so strong against Exedy. I was mostly trying to poke fun at his statement. I am not saying that the Exedy Twin doesn't have it's place, but IMO it's more of a race clutch and street cars shouldn't have to go through clutches every 25K.

Our disc doesn't have much more inertia than stock. If you want less disc inertia we offer our puck disc, but we normally don't recommend them for street. There are always tradeoffs.
True there are tradeoffs with everything made by man.
Old Jul 16, 2005, 10:42 PM
Former Sponsor

Do you think your clutch would last longer than a day at the track on my evo - how could it last for 25,000 miles? Doesnt the duration of the life span of a clutch depend on the type of use and driving style. Some people get 80,000 on the stock clutch and others can toast in in a week.
I am glad you asked. If you drive it right, our clutches have been proven very effective on the track. Our off the shelf race clutch (HD plate, 6 pad solid disc) worked for a year on the Turbotrix 9 sec EVO and Jeff wasn't very nice to it to say the least. To be honest, it finally started slipping when they went to Puerto Rico because they turned the power up yet again. You can actually hear it on one of the website videos. Nothing was worn out, it just needed a bit more to handle the added power. We made another pressure plate with a little more umph and it seems to be working fine.

But you are right that it depends a lot on the driver, especially when it comes to clutch life. Maybe you can't can't drive very well and need a carbon clutch to keep from melting it. Just teasing.
Old Jul 17, 2005, 04:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think I am a bad driver, the first Exedy twin metallic lasted 25K miles, which were HARD miles, I took the car to the Drag-strip, and let EVERYONE drive it, beat on it etc... I Have never had a problem with Exedy, and am for the most part brand loyal. I just got this "slip-RPM-jump" issue when my twin metallic was about to go out, and my question here is: "Oh no, not again!" how could this happen with this clutch, with ONLY this HP 350 AWHP? I don't let other people drive it like I did, I drive it around town, and sometimes to work and back (160 HWY miles). My shift point is around 4000, as I like to hear the motor, I dont downshift, when I have to stop. these are pretty much my driving habbits. I will try to heat up the clutch today pretty good and see what happens. I am not mad/disappointed with Exedy, just would like some feedback into what is happening. I just think it would be normal if it was happening since the beginning, this just started happening!
Old Jul 17, 2005, 05:24 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
In this last case, I don't think its a heating issue. It actually seems to slip when the car is hot. Andrew slipped it as the rep from Daikin/Exedy instructed, but after 10-11 pulls, it slipped on the dyno three consecutive times at the same spot in the rpm band.

I tend to agree that an ACT HDSS clutch would be the right unit for you. We have almost exactly the same power, and my HDSS has never slipped once since I put it in. Its also very economical

That said, the Exedy clutches are good for some people too. I really like the stock-like pedal effort of that clutch. There are a lot more parts in clutches like that, though, and cost more to maintain, etc.

Lastly, IMO triple carbon clutches are for people like Al with big dog cars that run single digit times in the 1320. I'm not saying a clutch like that isn't a great product, but I do think it is gross overkill for cars like you and I drive.

Good luck with whatever you choose next. Be nice to your clutch and it will be nice to you!

Quick Reply: Did only 350 AWHP ruin my triple carbon clutch?