Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

3" Downpipes that reuse stock donut gasket...AND FIT '05

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2005, 09:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RallySport Direct
Please don't do this.(not saying it is horrible but you shouldn't need to do this)

I am amazed and the amount of low quality parts there are out there for this car. I am even more amazed that people allow it. If you buy any of these parts from us and they do not fit please call me before modifying your car.

We have had some minimal problems with the helix DP Kartboy hangers can help/fix the problems in some cases.

With the Helix downpipe I would be more worried about elevated oil temps. Ours sat very close to the oil pan. That is one of the main reasons we decided to switch to the TurboXS. I would change you Gear Oil after 5k miles and see how it is holding up. If you are worried about it I would recommend putting some exhaust wrap around the downpipe in that area.

Ben
Ben,

I totally agree on the part about low quality parts! Why is it you can't find out about if an item that was designed for your car will even fit. I mean this is totally ridiculous. Companies out there are just wanting to make the quick $$ off you and then give you the finger.

Hell I'll be getting rid of my HKS Hi-power and also writing them on the BS advertising they do on their website. If you go to www.hksusa.com and look at the Hi-power exhaust for the EvoVIII the muffler is shooting straight out the back like stock. Well that's a load of crap, it is seriously angled and shoots into the bumper. Now that may be fine for the ricer, but I wanted one that went straight out the back so that I don't get heat damage on the paint and I'm constantly cleaning off the black exhaust off the car. Why is a company like HKS BSing ppl and advertising one product and giving you another. Hell I thought at first I installed it wrong, but that is not possible.

I swear I'm going to just start going custom and give the finger back to all these after market manu-f#$kers.

Venting now off - you may go back to your regularly scheduled ranting.

Joey

PS-look at the pic below then go look at the one on their site. HA!
Attached Thumbnails 3" Downpipes that reuse stock donut gasket...AND FIT '05-hks-hi-power-exhaust-1-medium-.jpg   3" Downpipes that reuse stock donut gasket...AND FIT '05-hks-hi-power-exhaust-medium-.jpg  
Old Sep 7, 2005, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

^ I believe the pic on their site is the JDM version of the hi-power exhaust. The USDM EVOs have a longer rear bumper, so it's slightly different. My exhaust tip is centered in my bumper cutout. Yours is off to the right side a lot more than mine. I had to trim the inside corner of my bumper a bit to make my hi-power fit though. No biggie.

The biggest gripe w/ my hi-power is that the resonator rubs against one of the driveshaft bearing carriers.
Old Sep 7, 2005, 09:51 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the pic on their site is not an Evo 8, it's an Evo 7 - and it sits on an angle too. Not as dramatic because of the difference in the rear bumpers between the 2 cars

the newer version Helix's have fit the 05 and MR in my experience, as I posted above. The early versions were for '03/'04 cars only - then they revised it and now it is is for '03-'05 cars. As mentioned, I have sold tons, and have not had a single one get returned, not a single call from a customer saying it did not fit, nor have I had any in the shop the did not fit, without modification (to both '04, '05 and MR models)

At this point in the lifecycle of the car, you can find pictures of every single component installed...especially exhausts, for the car. Or, simply ask your intended vendor what exhaust meets your needs - in your case that would have been a straight exiting exhaust - there are several options, HKS NOT being one of them

Last edited by Z1 Performance; Sep 7, 2005 at 09:54 AM.
Old Sep 7, 2005, 10:02 AM
Evolving Member

I just got off the phone with them and the customer service rep said it shouldn't matter on either car. It is slightly angled....SLIGHTLY. Look at what I have...I mean damn that is a huge difference between slight and seriously angled.

Now the Helix exhaust you have on your website is the exact one I have. I don't know how to tell the difference between a version 1 helix or the 2. I was told this is the version 2 I have and it looks identical to yours.
Old Sep 7, 2005, 10:07 AM
Account Disabled

well, the piping is the same for Evo 7 and 8..the bumpers however are totally differnent...not even close to the same opening, and as such, the exhaust looks totally different sitting on an Evo 7 vs an Evo 8

The best way you tell a difference is asking the people you bought it from, and making sure that those people deal with alot of Helix products (so that you get a true answer and not yessed to death). The changes made were minor, so not visible unless you have to 2 versions sitting next to each other.
Old Sep 7, 2005, 10:27 AM
Evolving Member

Doh!! Well thanks for the responses. I think I may just go custom like I originally did with my 2g.

Oh well, some ricer will love this angled exhaust for cheap! HA!
Old Sep 14, 2005, 05:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CFaber
Looking for a downpipe that fits '05 and reuses the stock donut gasket/bolts, etc.

It's been difficult to determine which ones actually fit '05's...to many varying opinions.

I will be bolting up to 3" high-flow cat.

Thanks.

Can you go through here and take all of the 3" dp that work with the 05 stock parts and start a list on your first thread?
Old Sep 14, 2005, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

B&B fits great!
Old Sep 14, 2005, 05:06 PM
Account Disabled

there is no 3 inch downpipe I know of that reuses a stock donut gasket...it would not be a 3 inch downpipe then

Turbo XS is the only one I am aware of that uses a donut...it includes it's own, fits the 03-05 and is 3 inches plus clears lower tie bars
Old Sep 23, 2005, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
is the version three just for 03-05? i get this weird rattle slightly when i don't give enough gas in 1st gear starting from stop. i can't figure out what is rubbing or why it makes this noise or what it is hitting. i'm assuming cuz the engine shakes cuz i'm a lil lean with the peddle and then this causes the dp to shake and hit something... but what?i look at the braces and i don't see any wear marks. i'm lost... i need a works dp.
Old Sep 23, 2005, 08:03 PM
Evolved Member

WORKS

http://www.worksevo.com/store/produc...products_id=93

Old Sep 26, 2005, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

hey... if you've installed a lot of them... have you installed them using both hangers? cuz my hanger seriously doesn't reach the rubber hanger unless you stretch the rubber hanger a gross amount.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 12:32 PM
Account Disabled

we have never had a fitment issue using the stock hangers whatsoever
Old Sep 26, 2005, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

really... that totally facinates me... cuz these damn hangers are too short..., i guess it don't matter... maybe i was lied to and my dp is actually one of the first versions... in any case i'm selling it now.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

I have the Helix on my 05 that i had on my 03. It cleared the TC by like a hair. I can feel it rattle sometimes on the floor but, i know where is touching up agains and its not the tc. I can make an adjustnment and fix the problem. Its funny bc this dp used to rattle like crazy on my 03 and make all kinds of noises and it doesnt do it on my 05

Quick Reply: 3" Downpipes that reuse stock donut gasket...AND FIT '05