Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

something wrong with my MBC?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2005, 10:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
something wrong with my MBC?

After installation of Hallman MBC and Defi boost guage.

I noticed I was hitting 20-24 psi.

The MBC is set lowest possible, basically I don't use it.

Is this normal.. or if I was just hitting 20 PSI would that be normal because that's how much PSI the Evo would be boosting stock right?
Old Sep 3, 2005, 10:52 PM
Evolved Member

If it is at the lowest setting I would think that it was set up wrong. You might want to check that and if you still have the same problem switch to the softer spring.
Old Sep 4, 2005, 06:13 PM
Evolving Member

wartalon suggested to me my boost controller could be installed incorrectly, maybe backwards?

What's the max boost I run with stock turbo on the MBC, because I've seen my turbo hit 25PSI when its all the way down. I heard it should only be at 11PSI with the MBC set at the lowest possible.

You think I could road test it? I don't want to mess anything up, but what if I turn it all the way the other way. I've been running 25PSI for a couple weeks but I don't drive hard a lot so I only hit that probably 3 or 4 times.

I hope I didn't hurt the life of my turbo doing so, or I'm going back to the place I got it installed.
Old Sep 4, 2005, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ev08buoy
wartalon suggested to me my boost controller could be installed incorrectly, maybe backwards?

What's the max boost I run with stock turbo on the MBC, because I've seen my turbo hit 25PSI when its all the way down. I heard it should only be at 11PSI with the MBC set at the lowest possible.

You think I could road test it? I don't want to mess anything up, but what if I turn it all the way the other way. I've been running 25PSI for a couple weeks but I don't drive hard a lot so I only hit that probably 3 or 4 times.

I hope I didn't hurt the life of my turbo doing so, or I'm going back to the place I got it installed.
No, man, it should be at 11psi if it's all the way UP! Read the knob. You turn it counterclockwise to reduce boost (which causes the knob to go up), and you turn it clockwise to INCREASE boost (which causes it to tighten down). Max, unhindered boost should be around 28psi. You do no t want to be getting anywhere close to 25psi on pump gas. Go do these 2 things right now:

1) MAke sure you know which way you're turning the knob.
2) Make sure you don't have the turbo and wastegate hoses backwards. I actually did this backwards the first time, and the boost was nutty. All I had to do was look again, and I saw right away that I had the hoses backwards, then it worked fine.
Old Sep 4, 2005, 06:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i bet you have the turbo and wastegate lines backwards
Old Sep 4, 2005, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yeah it seems like you hooked it up wrong. Stock and lowest setting should start off at 11 psi.... Just keep turnin it then until you achieve what psi you want.
Old Sep 4, 2005, 08:01 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for all your replys, I will definately check those things.

Will probably have to take it by my local shop and check things with them because I am completely an auto noob when it comes to installing things. Also I will take a look at some of the tech articles on installing a MBC and check it out myself.

The knob has a plus and minus sign, I'm pretty sure turning the knob towards the minus sign minimizes the boost and right now that's where its at.

I just really hope boosting at those rates didnt hurt my turbocharger or anything.

I'm also definately going to look at that hose and make sure its not backwards (i'll try to idenitfy it)