Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Shep racing dogbox now available.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2005, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zeus
As "neat" as they are, there are a select very few who won't tire of a dog box on the street... and I'm not one of them. However, I keep getting drawn to the idea again like a moth to a flame, and I would probably burn if I went there.
You don't want one on the street. A dogbox is noisey and ruins day to day driveability of the car.
Old Sep 22, 2005, 04:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 954DRGSR
You don't want one on the street. A dogbox is noisey and ruins day to day driveability of the car.

Correction a Staight cut gear set is noisy... A Dog gear set just eliminates the syncros.. Most dogboxes are straightcut gear sets though...

I know useless correction, but i wanted to make the distinction.
Old Sep 22, 2005, 04:52 PM
Evolving Member

flame me but whats a dog box tranny?
Old Sep 22, 2005, 05:45 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry I wasn't clear... paying more attention to "Rita" than what I was typing. In plain English, I WOULD get tired of a dog box quickly on the street! Only the most "hardcore" would possibly be able to tolerate it for daily transportation.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 09:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RSVIII
flame me but whats a dog box tranny?
dont feel bad i was going to ask the same thing... anyone care to explain to us noobs?
Old Oct 27, 2010, 11:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Dude what is with all these old threads coming up...lol its 5 years old. A dog box is the term for a transmission utilizing a dog engagement. A dog box can have either helical or spur gears or both.

Dogs are basically no more than cogs on a slider. The shifter pushes them into a receiver ring which engages the gear it is attached to. There is a separate dog and receiver for each gear in the transmission. On a racing transmission, there is a lot of "slop" (the gaps in the receiver are a lot larger than the teeth on the dog), which makes it easier to move into and out of the gears at higher RPMs without fully engaging the clutch.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 01:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Teal2nnr
Dude what is with all these old threads coming up...lol its 5 years old. A dog box is the term for a transmission utilizing a dog engagement. A dog box can have either helical or spur gears or both.

Dogs are basically no more than cogs on a slider. The shifter pushes them into a receiver ring which engages the gear it is attached to. There is a separate dog and receiver for each gear in the transmission. On a racing transmission, there is a lot of "slop" (the gaps in the receiver are a lot larger than the teeth on the dog), which makes it easier to move into and out of the gears at higher RPMs without fully engaging the clutch.
thanks for the help! i seriously wasnt even paying attention to the date and i dont know how i even got onto the thread to start! my bad!