Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Rattles, Squeeks, and general NOISES??!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2003, 09:40 PM
choad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rattles, Squeeks, and general NOISES??!

I don't want to start a negative thread, here, BUT...

Anyone got a lot of rattles and noises coming from their cars interiors, etc.? What about upper driver cell creaking? That was this morning when it was like 10 degrees...

Could the car be firmer than hell in the low area, but flexy in the upper??

It could be the cold, but I'm not used to hearing ANY rattles in a new car before...

I'm wondering if any hew EVO owners are hearing the same..
Old Mar 10, 2003, 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

yes I am starting to get one or two....something is going to give in a car as stif as the evo
Old Mar 10, 2003, 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

Or an even better question, do any old Evo owners, 7,6,5, etc. have the same kind of issues?

Remember that you bought a Lancer, not a Mercedes. And it's a performance car at that. So NVH should be expected, and I'd expect some rattles and stuff too.
Old Mar 10, 2003, 09:50 PM
Evolving Member

yes i work for BMW and our MINIs are buzz boxes. It's a friggin go-kart what do you expect mini customers?!?! They think they're buying a $20k bmw and that's not the case. and even though we're buying the top of the line mitsu, it's still a performance car. SO if it's a rattle you hear....TURN UP THE RADIO!!!
Old Mar 10, 2003, 11:07 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Actually, it's the cold. M3lachsilber, you've never driven it while it's warmer out. I have. Mine rattles when it's cold, but is nice and tight when it's warmer out. Give the next week or so time for it to thaw and try it again.
Old Mar 10, 2003, 11:28 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it's not german you'll be surprised how many car rattles. It's just the stiff shock that ampifies it. Maybe should offer a super RS version with no carpet or dins for anything to rattle .

Mustang, camero, all rattled for me. My M3 was the only car I had which didn't rattle
Old Mar 10, 2003, 11:51 PM
Evolving Member

Have a noise like wiring hitting something - appears to be top right dash area (???). Not really a rattle but also not something you want to put up with in any new car. I'm sure dealer will work it out soon as I can get it there for a while. BTW temp here is 60s and 70s so its not a temp. related thing.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 05:13 AM
Evolving Member

EVO magazine in the UK had an EVO VII RS Sprint in the fleet of cars. It is leaving now so they wrote a bigger article about it. EVO article
Near the bottom they said "We did pile on the miles and can report that despite the RS Sprint's gob-smacking performance, in over 10,000 miles absolutely nothing went wrong; it didn't use a drop of oil and there was not a squeak from the interior. It seems that durability and reliability can go hand in hand with extreme".
Aston
Old Mar 11, 2003, 07:40 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Claudius
Drift through corners and the tire squeal will cover the rattles!
I saw that on TV and I have to say those guy over there are insane. IMO - I think that is the dumbest thing I've ever seen. How many tires do they go through? Not to mention other parts.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

TUNER I am having the same exact problem....passenger side dash up near the window it seams....but I may be wrong
Old Mar 12, 2003, 01:19 AM

Well, i'm glad (sort of) that i'm not the only one with the passenger side rattle.
Old Mar 12, 2003, 07:58 AM
Evolving Member

My M3 rattled and squeeked, but kinda in a German way that isn't that bothersome. Japanese rattles tend to be more annoying to me for some reason...can't explain it.
Old Mar 12, 2003, 09:40 AM

I think you have to accept the fact the the Evo is based on the Lancer platform, a $15k car. Taking that as the basis for the Evo and then stiffing the cars chasis is going to cause rattles in other areas of the car that have not been reworked (mainly the cabin and upper areas of the car).

I think this is a trade-off you have to be willing to accept on a car that is not built on it's own platform but uses an existing platform of an inexpensive car. I am sure that most of you are willing to accept this trade-off given the wonderful performance of the Evo.

I currently own a 2003 Z06 purchased in December 2002 and have gone through a rough New York winter. No rattles or creaks of any kind. Just gobs of power and torque and a sweet sounding exhaust. So I don't think these rattles you are hearing are the result of the cold weather.

Just my .02

I love the Evo and am thinking of picking one up as a second car once the dealers get over themselves about charging premiums over MSRP.
Old Mar 12, 2003, 09:42 AM

Oops sorry, meant to say that these rattles are "not" the result of the cold weather IMO.

Quick Reply: Rattles, Squeeks, and general NOISES??!