Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Driveline Lash

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2005, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Driveline Lash

You know what I mean. When the car bucks or bounces when you let the clutch out too fast and it's not a completely smooth engagement. Give the Evo too much gas when you let go and you can hear it - and usually feel it.

There's plenty out there about motor mounts, braces, etc. Alot of it relates to trouble shifting quickly or grinding.

What works?

The Weapon R Damper looks a bit useless to these eyes but I'm not an automotive engineer. If it starts w/mounts, instead of replacing can we fill them with windshield adhesive, for instance, to stiffen them up for starters.

Are there consequences elsewhere in the drivetrain when we start to stiffen up the engine position under the hood?

I don't want opinions, really. I'd rather have those that have tried a few things and know answer the question.

What works to remove the bouncing, bucking lash?
Does it create other problems?

Thanks!
Old Sep 30, 2005, 09:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
throw in some inserts....but, be prepared for more vibrations...
Old Sep 30, 2005, 10:45 PM
Evolved Member

OK, that answer sucks ... LOL

Inserts into where? and what kind of new/aggravated vibrations?

Sorry, just don't know what you're getting at ...
Old Sep 30, 2005, 10:48 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are no "spaces" in the torque mounts... that's why no "inserts" are available.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 11:09 PM
Evolved Member

ya this isnt a honda, they dont have those gay polyurathane inserts for ur motor mounts. i have the same problem. its an easy fix. buy a new mount for the front, because they go after a while. never used those dampers on the evo yet but lots of kids use them on their 240's. think of it as a shock for ur motor. couldnt hurt i guess.
Old Oct 1, 2005, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The "engine dampener" is a great mod. (I have a long history with 240s) It makes the car feel really solid, and the power gets to the ground much smoother. I was hoping to find a company that made one for the EVO.
Old Oct 1, 2005, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

theres also an article floating around here regarding squeezing polyurethane liquid into the engine mounts (which are semi hollow).... once it dries you get a firmer mount...
Old Oct 1, 2005, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mifesto
theres also an article floating around here regarding squeezing polyurethane liquid into the engine mounts (which are semi hollow).... once it dries you get a firmer mount...
That's what I originally meant. Not a pre-made insert, but inserting the adhesive directly in yourself.

I mentioned the Weapon-R engine dampener if whomever above was looking for one.

Still looking for more input. I'll look into the front motor mount...

Thanks all for the input!
Old May 29, 2008, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

Front mount and damper are no fix.

I'm dropping the front and rear diffs for replace/rebuilds and want to take another swipe at this.

Who has FIXED their lash problem and how?

Thanks.
Old May 29, 2008, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

i really don't understand the problem? I've been in a ton of Evos and don't know about the buck/lash you are talking about?

what kind of mods do you have, and is this a tuning issue?

If you are running at low rpm and you tap the gas real quick and then let go, it can start to buck like crazy, but that is an engine control issue. not something you can fix with mounts. most people also don't drive like that.

Last edited by EvoBroMA; May 29, 2008 at 08:23 AM.
Old May 29, 2008, 11:46 AM

Get an Ingalls stiffy. It cuts down the lashing tremendously and is adjustible. Coupled with front motor mount upgrade.
Old May 29, 2008, 12:03 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
More than one issue is being experienced here.

My best recommendation is to start with the FRONT and ONLY the front motor mount (I have the BLOX front motor mount and LOVE it. Small vibration increase in the cabin and all of my shifts are nice, smooth, and precise!

SECOND issue you are hearing is the rear differential thumping. If you hear this, you got a good clean powerful shift (generally ). IMHO don't worry about it, it doesn't hurt anything. Other option is to get the AMS bushing kit or the Buschur mustache bar to stiffen it up the mounts surrounding it.
Old May 29, 2008, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

No, peeps. Moderate to small fuel pedal input, lift, buck. Lift with moderate input, buck.
Old May 30, 2008, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KazzEvo8
No, peeps. Moderate to small fuel pedal input, lift, buck. Lift with moderate input, buck.
that's a driveability issue. dampers and mounts are not going to fix that.

a better tune or learning to drive will fix it. i learned to slip the clutch a little more at low speeds, and learned to be alot smoother with the throttle input so i rarely have bucking. still get it occasionally, but pushing in the clutch kills the bucking instantly, then i let it back out smooth.

i'm pretty sure that the bucking is caused by aggressive throttle tip in, thats why throwing in the clutch fixes it. its just one of the consequences of having the fastest possible throttle response, at low engine speeds when you lift off the ecu gets ahead of itself and starts bucking because it can't tell if you want to accelerate or not.

some BOV's only exacerbate the issue.

Last edited by EvoBroMA; May 30, 2008 at 01:57 PM.
Old May 30, 2008, 02:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by scheides
More than one issue is being experienced here.

My best recommendation is to start with the FRONT and ONLY the front motor mount (I have the BLOX front motor mount and LOVE it. Small vibration increase in the cabin and all of my shifts are nice, smooth, and precise!

SECOND issue you are hearing is the rear differential thumping. If you hear this, you got a good clean powerful shift (generally ). IMHO don't worry about it, it doesn't hurt anything. Other option is to get the AMS bushing kit or the Buschur mustache bar to stiffen it up the mounts surrounding it.
+1 on that blox front mount, the shifting feels so much more direct and solid. As long as the vibration doesn't bother you, it's a great great mod. You really only hear some more engine noise in the cabin and the only major vibration change is when you're sitting on a decline (engine forward).

Quick Reply: Driveline Lash