Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

GT35R to good to be true?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2005, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That looks from the pictures to be the precision "dsm bolt on" turbine housing. Same housing that Buschur Racing's original turbokit had. I ran BR's manifold with a GT35R using the turbine housing pictured there. It was decent.

But it is absolutly 'NOT BOLT ON for the stock EVO8 manifold. ATP is the only company offering a bolt on garret turbo that uses the stock evo8 manifold.
Old Nov 21, 2005, 06:15 PM
Evolving Member

where did you get yours from because I am interested in that kit?
Old Nov 21, 2005, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Jared622
where did you get yours from because I am interested in that kit?
http://www.atpturbo.com/root/releases/release052704.htm

tell them Paul send ya.
Old Nov 21, 2005, 07:11 PM
Evolving Member

How laggy is that 35 with the stock manifold.
Old Nov 21, 2005, 09:12 PM

worst case scenario: Just the turbo kit no aftermarket exhaust, stock cat, stock displacement. Full spool @ around 5500 rpms

My scenario: Full 3" Turbo back, no cat, 272 cams tuned for better spool up rather than higher top end. Full spool @ around 4600~4700 rpm
Old Nov 21, 2005, 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are not very many bolt on turbo's for the evo because the evo is a reverse rotation setup.

As far as I know, you have the ATP turbos that have their proprietary turbine housings, then you have FP white rabbit, BR 20g, the TME.....and I think that just about covers it. Others have tried to make their own bolt on turbo (including a local turbo company here in town) with marginal results.

The problem lies with the reverse rotation, if this was a DSM there would be a ton of options.
Old Nov 21, 2005, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by 4TUN8
There are not very many bolt on turbo's for the evo because the evo is a reverse rotation setup.

As far as I know, you have the ATP turbos that have their proprietary turbine housings, then you have FP white rabbit, BR 20g, the TME.....and I think that just about covers it. Others have tried to make their own bolt on turbo (including a local turbo company here in town) with marginal results.

The problem lies with the reverse rotation, if this was a DSM there would be a ton of options.
The statement that you made " The problem lies with the reverse rotation " isn't quite right.

Yes the stock turbo is a reverse rotation turbo, but the exhaust gases coming out of the exhaust manifold has no foward or reverse or as a matter of fact any rotation. The fact that your local turbo company had maginal results could be from many other factors such as improper housing design, wrong turbo sizing, and so on....

Also, DSM has been on the market for ALOT longer than Evo's have. So that 1 reason why there are more options for DSMs
Old Nov 22, 2005, 04:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The statement that you made " The problem lies with the reverse rotation " isn't quite right.

Yes the stock turbo is a reverse rotation turbo, but the exhaust gases coming out of the exhaust manifold has no foward or reverse or as a matter of fact any rotation. The fact that your local turbo company had maginal results could be from many other factors such as improper housing design, wrong turbo sizing, and so on....

Also, DSM has been on the market for ALOT longer than Evo's have. So that 1 reason why there are more options for DSMs
Hi, while I'm not a car guru, I'm not an idiot either. I understand basic phsyics. The problem does lie with reverse rotation because there is nothing offered on the market right now that makes any type of power worth the money. Couple this with the fact that the stock turbo is VERY efficient all around, and you have something that really needs no improvement.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 10:54 AM
Evolving Member

wow i think that i am confused?
Old Nov 22, 2005, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by 4TUN8
Hi, while I'm not a car guru, I'm not an idiot either. I understand basic phsyics. The problem does lie with reverse rotation because there is nothing offered on the market right now that makes any type of power worth the money. Couple this with the fact that the stock turbo is VERY efficient all around, and you have something that really needs no improvement.
By no ways am I calling you an idiot. I guess I'm just trying to understand what you think is reverse rotation. Are you saying the engine is a reverse rotation? or the stock turbo? Like I mentioned before, the stock turbo is a reverse rotation and the exhaust gases coming out of the manifold will propel any turbine wheel regradless of which way it spins.

Yes. I do argee that the stock turbo is efficient with-in the stock power range, but there are rooms for improvment.

What do you consider "any type of power worth the money"? I dynoed 228 whp on a dynojet AWD dyno on 91 oct when the car was stock. After the GT35R kit, injectors, SAFC, and 255 fuel pump I dynoed 372 WHP on the same dyno.

GT35R kit = $2500
injectors = $400
SAFC = $300
255 pump = $95

to the total is $3295
total whp gain is 144whp

That's like $22.18 per hp and this is on 91 oct. So for $3300 I gained 144whp doesn't seem so bad. And on race gas I gained 220WHP I think it's totally worth it.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 01:51 PM

ok so im gettin a new turbo like tomorrow from neonhero's results.... ahhaha

i really didnt think it was that cheap for turbo upgrades
Old Nov 23, 2005, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

one of the very few company's that make a 35R thats bolt on for evo's is ATP also you have to buy the down pipe. it cost around 1500 to 1750 depends where you get it from.
Old Nov 23, 2005, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

Want a cheap turbo upgrade for big power? Check my sig. ^.^
Old Nov 23, 2005, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by jmartinez1170
one of the very few company's that make a 35R thats bolt on for evo's is ATP also you have to buy the down pipe. it cost around 1500 to 1750 depends where you get it from.
Ifyou buy the turbo seperately, then yes, you do have to buy the down pipe, but if you buy the kit then everything is included.
Old Nov 23, 2005, 12:20 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
372whp on a dynojet with a 35R is kinda weak. car should be making well over 400whp. The atp kits are nice because they bolt to the stock manifold but they flow horrible and really arent that great when used with a 35r. The sharp bend and bottleneck of the ATP housing makes it not worth buying In my opinion.

O and the fact that the evo is reverse rotation is exactly why no turbos are made to be bolt on. the position of the exhaust housing in reference to the manifold is opposite of 99% of the turbos in existence so you need a manifold that emits gasses closer to the block so the offset part of the housing can be towards the front of the car