Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Tial BOV question

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2005, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ez
Remeber that the air/debris you suck in at idle will be unfiltered...
wha wha wha whaaaaaaaaaa?
Old Dec 30, 2005, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alrighty heres the deal. I will need the 9lb spring so I can get my afr's correct for low speed driving/cruising. Apparently the 7lb is too weak for my application. The valve is open during cruising makeing the car run very rich. AFR's are in the 9.9-10.2 while cruising but will climb if I keep giving the car throttle, then depending how much gas I give the car the afr's are in the 13.5-14.7 range (10% throttle).

So hopefully I can find one this weekend before I have to drive back home, so if anyone knows of a shop that carries them in stock please let me know. I called Titan and they don't carry them in stock. Going to try CFT tomorrow.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 11:37 PM
ez
Evolving Member

Why don't you read my previous post history before you start childish banter about IQ's.

The post about the adjustment was an honest mistake because I was pretty sure I had seen an adjustment screw on a Tial...and tightening it would be a logical next step.

Now, about your idle scenario. Are you saying that while you are at idle, and the entire intake system is under vacuum, that air is being forced out the valve? Since you feel your IQ is higher than mine, then I would appreciate the science lesson.

Originally Posted by dryad001
Did you read my entire post? Or are you assuming that you know whats happening without reading? Please before more stupid posting goes on please read the entire thread, think about it a little, then post.

I see the IQ dropping in here lately
Old Dec 30, 2005, 11:39 PM
ez
Evolving Member

Please...tell me you a little more mature than this...

Originally Posted by bolsen
wha wha wha whaaaaaaaaaa?
Old Dec 30, 2005, 11:41 PM
ez
Evolving Member

I certainly would believe that if our turbos were BB from the factory...or if had seen a MAP test on the UIC pipe show a pressure reading.

BTW every BOV that was open at idle on a car I've owned/worked on has caused lean AFR's, not rich.

Originally Posted by Fourdoor
You are blowing out at idle.

Even at idle the turbo is spinning (slow by on boost comparison, but it IS spinning) blowing low pressure air into the intercooler and associated pipeing.

Keith

Last edited by ez; Dec 31, 2005 at 12:00 AM.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 01:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dryad001
Alrighty heres the deal. I will need the 9lb spring so I can get my afr's correct for low speed driving/cruising. Apparently the 7lb is too weak for my application. The valve is open during cruising makeing the car run very rich. AFR's are in the 9.9-10.2 while cruising but will climb if I keep giving the car throttle, then depending how much gas I give the car the afr's are in the 13.5-14.7 range (10% throttle).

So hopefully I can find one this weekend before I have to drive back home, so if anyone knows of a shop that carries them in stock please let me know. I called Titan and they don't carry them in stock. Going to try CFT tomorrow.
What are you using for engine managment? Being converted to speed density, the car should run OK even if you blew off an intercooler pipe.... so I don't see how having the bov venting a bit would cause problems with your A/F ratio.

Keith
Old Dec 31, 2005, 01:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ez
I certainly would believe that if our turbos were BB from the factory...or if had seen a MAP test on the UIC pipe show a pressure reading.

BTW every BOV that was open at idle on a car I've owned/worked on has caused lean AFR's, not rich.
A stock 1G dsm with a 14b turbo has a slight positive pressure in the intercooler and IC pipes at idle. If you take off the recirc line on ANY turbocharged car it will be blowing out a small amount of air at idle. Aftermarket BOV's are usually set up to be completely closed at idle instead of partialy open at idle like the stock BOV because most people run them vented to atmosphere. If open at idle and vented to atmosphere on a car still using a MAF you will run rich at idle, and mega rich on shifts.

Keith
Old Dec 31, 2005, 05:15 AM
Evolved Member

I made a mistake in hooking all of the pipes back up. I forgot to plug the IAT sensor in, all is good again.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 08:22 AM
ez
Evolving Member

If that's that case, I'm not sure why I have not seen the turbo spin enough at idle to create evacuation. And I just experienced this recently on my car with a bad valve that was stuck open at idle...and AFR in the 19-20 range until I forced it shut manually.

Thanks for the follow up Keith...perhaps there were other factors I did not consider.

Ethan

A stock 1G dsm with a 14b turbo has a slight positive pressure in the intercooler and IC pipes at idle. If you take off the recirc line on ANY turbocharged car it will be blowing out a small amount of air at idle. Aftermarket BOV's are usually set up to be completely closed at idle instead of partialy open at idle like the stock BOV because most people run them vented to atmosphere. If open at idle and vented to atmosphere on a car still using a MAF you will run rich at idle, and mega rich on shifts.

Keith
Old Dec 31, 2005, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ez
If that's that case, I'm not sure why I have not seen the turbo spin enough at idle to create evacuation. And I just experienced this recently on my car with a bad valve that was stuck open at idle...and AFR in the 19-20 range until I forced it shut manually.

Thanks for the follow up Keith...perhaps there were other factors I did not consider.

Ethan
19 to 20 range? WOW! Hope everything is OK with your engine after that. Was there any damage from running that lean? I wonder what caused the lean condition? Could what ever cause the BOV to stick open also have resulted in a fuel supply problem?

Keith
Old Dec 31, 2005, 02:08 PM
ez
Evolving Member

It would not run very long that way before dying. I was actually quite close to home, so I was able to limp there and park the car. Of course, it did not take me very long to fix the issue. It was used valve...I disassembled it and found some gunk in it from the previous owner. I had another valve, so I replaced it and solved the issue permanently...

19 to 20 range? WOW! Hope everything is OK with your engine after that. Was there any damage from running that lean? I wonder what caused the lean condition? Could what ever cause the BOV to stick open also have resulted in a fuel supply problem?

Keith
Old Mar 14, 2006, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

I figure I would bring this thread back since there is another question I have now. Since putting alky back on my car with a SMC kit I started tuning and noticed at WOT at 26psi the valve flutters just a little bit. At 20-24 the valve is shut with no fluttering. Is this the limit of the 7lb spring? Now I still have the 7lb spring inside never found anyone with a 9lb. Also I am moving up in turbo size soon, next month or so.
Old May 28, 2009, 02:17 AM
Evolved Member

which is the best spring to use on stock boost. im hearing the 7 lbs spring, and the 9 lbs spring. has anyone used to 12lbs spring on stock boost applications. send me a message and let me know some stuff. cause im actually kind of confused.
Old May 28, 2009, 04:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sgt_petty_210
which is the best spring to use on stock boost. im hearing the 7 lbs spring, and the 9 lbs spring. has anyone used to 12lbs spring on stock boost applications. send me a message and let me know some stuff. cause im actually kind of confused.
i'm using the 11psi spring with no problems but my boost is a bit higher than stock....not much though
Old May 28, 2009, 05:14 AM
Evolved Member

I also use the 11lb spring on a tial Q. precision ball bearing 58trim turbo, works great.

Quick Reply: Tial BOV question