Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

BOV Position - Up or Down? Does it matter?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2009, 03:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/at...r-p1090098.jpg so is this the right way or backwards? Hope this pic helps
Old Feb 17, 2009, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The bottom port on the stock valve should always be connected to the ic piping and the side port plumbed to the intake regardless of the final physical orientation. The reason is, as said before, is boost pressure aids IM vacuum in opening the valve. Backwards boost pressure is actually trying to push the valve shut fighting the vacuum. The reason its louder is because it doesn't open as much as usual and you are hearing the air trying to rush around the valve. Its basically like trying to blow through a straw vs. a paper towel tube.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 08:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DJ Brett B
bump for pics of backwards vs. regular
Where are the pics?
Old Feb 17, 2009, 08:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by max4rw
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/at...r-p1090098.jpg so is this the right way or backwards? Hope this pic helps
From this pic, the BOV top is facing outward, the setup orientation is definitely different than the stock setup, but everything seems to be hooked up as stock though. So, yeah, is this considered "backward"? My biggest question about "backward" - does it mean the setup orientation is backward, like the direction and position of the BOV? Or, does it mean the BOV hooked up backward like connecting the "Intake pipe" to UICP, etc.?

My next question is whether the position and direction of the BOV placement would have any impact on the performance or the functions of the BOV itself. In my case, my BOV is setup up-side-down, having the top facing downward. With the gravity and bumping, would it make it tend to open up "easily" or vice versa??
Old Feb 17, 2009, 08:20 PM
Evolving Member

WOW! some1 needs to put a pic up of the way this bov is supose to be on the stock intake cuz im like 2nd guessin the way i got my mr bov on hahaha

mine has always been loud
Old Feb 17, 2009, 08:22 PM
Evolving Member

I just flipped my bov around after work today. It used to be quite loud and it would flutter under partial boost. Now, it has a typical whoooosh sound.

Odd thing is that the car does not seem to pull as hard (subjective). Also my boost gauge doesn't go into boost if I throttle while at a standstill. If i blip the throttle, it hits about -10 hg/in. However, I did a third or fourth gear pull, and the boost seemed to build to its normal levels.

Sorry if I added confusing details. Is the orientation of the bov correct or backwards?

thanks
Attached Thumbnails BOV Position - Up or Down? Does it matter?-sdc12609.jpg  
Old Feb 17, 2009, 08:26 PM
Evolving Member

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y21...82434_2654.jpg
Old Feb 17, 2009, 08:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evremonde
I just flipped my bov around after work today. It used to be quite loud and it would flutter under partial boost. Now, it has a typical whoooosh sound.

Odd thing is that the car does not seem to pull as hard (subjective). Also my boost gauge doesn't go into boost if I throttle while at a standstill. If i blip the throttle, it hits about -10 hg/in. However, I did a third or fourth gear pull, and the boost seemed to build to its normal levels.

Sorry if I added confusing details. Is the orientation of the bov correct or backwards?

thanks

that picture is the same way i have mine in and have had it in that way for 2 years now....
Old Feb 17, 2009, 08:35 PM
Evolving Member

thanks
was it flipped the other way before this picture?
Old Feb 17, 2009, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
pic above is the correct way.

Milburn
Old Feb 17, 2009, 08:45 PM
Evolving Member

correct,

the port going into the intake was connected to the uicp.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 08:50 PM
Evolving Member

oh ok well now you have it connected the right way in that picture. the end with the screws in it should go the uicp.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 09:10 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by max4rw

thanks
omfg are you guys serious? No offense but geez! Look up how a bov works and simply looking at a valve will tell you what the proper orientation is. The valve itself can be upside down, facing left, right, back, or hanging out the hood vent as long as the side direclty opposite the spring is connected to the charge piping, the UICP, whatever you wanna call it. The opposite end of this has the 'hat' shaped flat-ish end with the nipple on it.

The other end must either be recirculated back into the intake pipe (after the maf) or just left open (vented to atmosphere, VTA)...but recirculating it is ideal.

BOTH of the pictures listed here are 'correct' if you understand how it works. Sorry for the harsh reply but this is really turbocharging 101. I have an awesome book by Corky Bell (seriously) that you should read. EnjoyDriving, if you'd like to borrow it let me know, otherwise it's on half.com for cheap:

http://product.half.ebay.com/Maximum...nfoQQprZ535870
Old Feb 17, 2009, 09:19 PM
Evolving Member

cool, hope there has not been much damage to the turbo. It was in the "backwards" orientation for maybe 30k miles (2 owners ago). Yikes!!
Old Feb 17, 2009, 09:35 PM
Evolving Member

you are being a bit harsh, but no offense taken.
I'm new to turbos but not completely ignorant about them. Part of the reason I flipped the thing around was because I was not convinced it was right. It came this way when i bought it. It does make sense after looking at the device a bit.

I do admit to being completely lost concerning my boost gauge, feel free to thrash me about that (i might learn something ).

Will be checking out this book.

Quick Reply: BOV Position - Up or Down? Does it matter?