Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

4g64 Practical applcation for Evo?

Old Apr 2, 2003, 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4g64 Practical applcation for Lancer?

would a 1997 4G64 2.4l have any practical application for any thing other than the galant it came out of? i currently have that runs great. But unsure if there is anythign i can do.

i did a search and found alot about 4G63's and not too much relating to 4G64. so if someone could give me info, i would appreciate it.
Old Apr 5, 2003, 12:13 AM
Evolving Member

check out rpw they have a list of swappable engines and the difficulty involved. if i rememebr correctly there is a galant engine that can be swapped...
Old Aug 27, 2003, 02:31 PM

4G64 utility

reviving an old thread I know, but it deserves information. This is the only thread I've seen here so far I cared enough to sign up to reply for.

Your 4G64 block is a direct bolt-in to any vehicle using the 7-bolt 4G63 block - be it turbo or N/A. In fact, with the application of the "top half" from a DSM or EVO, the cam gears from a DOHC Galant, and the timing assembly cover from a 2G DSM (check to make sure the donor uses the same sensor package your ECU knows how to read - it's easier than it sounds) you can make a stunning 200+ HP normally aspirated motor, or a 300+HP turbo motor. Like any radical build, there are tricks and hangups - but there's plenty of data for it. In fact, Magnus Motorsports in Canada make a fortune on just such a conversion - around $4,000 a motor for turbo builds.

The 4G64, any year, is the exact same block die as the 4G63. It has identical casting, internal webs, and almost every part is the same. The 4G64 cylinder bore is opened up a little more, and the deck it not machined down as much. ( I think the difference is 2CM, but I'm not positive of that number) Also, on some 64 blocks the knock sensor socket is not tapped.

Either way, it's the same block. If you know anyone with a dead bottom half on an EVO6 or 7, you may be able to make him or her very, very happy.
Old Aug 28, 2003, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

That's nice, but he 4G64 listed here will NOT work. Out motorsare completely turned around. No motor that fits in a DSM will fit in a Evo VIII.
Old Aug 28, 2003, 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

old post damn
Old Aug 28, 2003, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

and besides, i didn't post this when i owned an evo so i don't know how the hell it got into the evo general

"4g64 Practical applcation for Lancer?"

is my original first post
Old Aug 28, 2003, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by instigator
That's nice, but he 4G64 listed here will NOT work. Out motorsare completely turned around. No motor that fits in a DSM will fit in a Evo VIII.
Actually, the blocks are the same from what I have seen. It is the cylinder heads, mounts and gearbox that make the major difference.
Old Aug 28, 2003, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

but would good would it be to put a 4g64 block on a 4g63?
Old Aug 28, 2003, 05:57 PM

The bare block is in fact identical for all vehices in a given year. The front and rear motor mounts for most years are are bolted to the block - as are the various other bits and pieces. By using the proper motor mounts an engine block of a certain year will most certainly fit. Of course the reverse rotation makes a difference - heads, starters, intake systems, and various bits and pieces can't be used due to the reversed layout.

In some engine layouts on various model vehicles there are certain things that are not needed - like the knock sensor or crank angle sensor. In these cases, the place to put these accessories or options is present, but is not "finished" (tapped for threads, cut, drilled out, etc). Still and all, the blocks come from the same dies, are cast in the same molds and carry the same part catalogue numbers.

As far as "no DSM motor can be put in any evo" you are partially correct. The complete motor can not. The shortblock CAN, if the right parts are used and modifications made. There are differences by year whch would definitively prevent it as well, but these same differences would usually make a Galant motor just as incompatible as an EVO motor. I couldn't fit an EVO III motor into a 2G - that much is true. But a shortblock from a 6 or 7 should be usable unless there's some differences in the block that I don't know about - although to the best of my knowledge, the bare block itself (not assembled shorblock) is the same part number from Mitsubishi as the Galant block. If I'm incorrect, please enlighten me, with the part numbers and catalogue revision number please.
Old Aug 28, 2003, 06:06 PM

Well guys here is the deal... the 2.4 in the 99' and up Galants, 00' and up Eclipse, and Stratus' are all teh same. The engines are layed out kinda the same as the EVO 4-8 minus the starter position, and of course the head, but the block is the same. The ecu pinouts are identical for the manual cars as the evo. Over at club 3G a few people have been contimplating different swaps, such as an evo head swap, and also a complete evo swap minus the all wheel drive. Or I am sure that if someone really wanted to they could do an all wheel drive swap but that would be some serious cash. I have been contimplating an evo swap, only thing detering me is 1. no one has done it in an eclipse yet 2. the motors are very pricey 3. the motors are very hard to get complete with the ecu and stuff. Like I had said before the good thing is 1. same ecu pinouts 2. they will bolt up to the transmission (sp). If I had $7000 laying around it would be done already!
Old Aug 28, 2003, 06:15 PM

Originally posted by apursell
Base power/torque. As great as technology is, there truly is no better cure for power lust than increased displacement. Increasing the burn chamber size increases the volume of fuel/air available for burn at spark. No matter what boost pressure you want to run, the parger the combustion chamber at TDC, the more fuel/air is available and the more power you have available. The longer stroke does make a slightly more slap-happy piston, but it you don't like to rev past 8 grand you'll never notice it. (and who goes that high regularly?) Also, with the slightly longer stroke for the 64 block, that air charge has more time to burn - allowing power to be applied to the crank for a greater portion of each stroke, and allows the charge to burn more completely. That of course creates an incrementally larger charge of exhaust gas (and thus exhaust energy to feed that turbo with).

With the extra 20% displacement, a 16G will become undersized - capable of full boost much earlier. You will be capable of using a much larger turbo without choking on it in low RPM's or requiring insane cams to feed it. Also, power in off-throttle driving (parking lots, stop and go traffic, idling through town in high gear/low RPM's, cruising in vacuum on the highway, things like that) will be increased and tip-in accelleration will come in much faster and more smoothly - at least until you fit a larger turbo. Downside is that you'll have to tune the fuel to match the increased air consumption - mileage will be reduced a bit.
Old Aug 28, 2003, 06:27 PM

Originally posted by apursell
Thays what they were trying to do over at club 3G, cause he was already boosted with a t3/t4, but when he got the head on, it was throwing all sorts of weird codes and stuff, after that we never heard from him again???
Old Aug 28, 2003, 06:37 PM

here is the thread from club 3G http://www.eclipseforums.org/forum/s...threadid=24764
Old Aug 28, 2003, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by wreckleford

Actually, the blocks are the same from what I have seen. It is the cylinder heads, mounts and gearbox that make the major difference.
Are the new 4G64s turned around? I haven't seen any facing theEvo way.
Old Aug 29, 2003, 02:42 PM

Originally posted by cooterkisser
Well guys here is the deal... the 2.4 in the 99' and up Galants, 00' and up Eclipse, and Stratus' are all teh same. The engines are layed out kinda the same as the EVO 4-8 minus the starter position, and of course the head, but the block is the same.
These face the same as the EVO

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4g64 Practical applcation for Evo?