Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Exedy Hyper Single gone at 4000 miles

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2006, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I read a thread about exedy's excellent customer service a little while ago. A gentleman had an exedy installed at the dealership and it went out shortly thereafter. It was actually the installers fault after they examinmed the clutch, but they went way out of their way for the customer and rebuilt it for him.
Old Mar 8, 2006, 10:19 PM
Evolved Member

that is why if you want something done right, you HAVE TO do it yourself!
Old Mar 11, 2006, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by MattGold
There's TWO Exedy "Single" Discs...actually Three.

Stage 1 - Organic Single - Step up from stock. Nothing fancy, just a street clutch for people with minor bolt ons. I should mention however - this clutch HAS held 450WHP and gone 12.00 but it is NOT recommend for that power/timeslip.

Stage 2 - Ceremetallic Single - Four Puck, Sprung Hub. Metallic compond, for people on a budget, but need something to hold 350HP. This clutch should go 11's, but I don't have any first hand expierence.

Stage 3 - Hyper Single - Six Puck, Sprung Hub, Includes Flywheel (Pretty Purple color too). Metallic compund, not really for drag racing. This is a low inertia disc for people that are looknig for shift response in a road race setting. Holds 350ish HP. Exedy is in fact no longer importing t his clutch to the US.

I recommend either the Exedy Stage if you're on a budget, or step upto a Twin Plate.

Skip the Hyper Single.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the informative input.
I'd checked your site. it would be great if you could have the prices listed..
I'm running with exedy twin plate right now.. and its slipping and fading real bad, with rumbling sound.. do I have to change the whole set of clutch?
Old Mar 11, 2006, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That sucks Manny.....
Old Mar 11, 2006, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

welcome to my world...have 350whp and my excedy twin disk's center plate warped...no hard launches...10k miles on the clutch....and their customer service SUX....good luck i'd tru tp get it replaced
Old Mar 11, 2006, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by IE Evo
So u toasted another stock clutch? That is all the exedy single is.

wrong the stock is organic clutch
Old Mar 20, 2006, 08:41 AM
Evolving Member

haha Just to comment on my stock clutch....
I put 30K miles on my stock clutch when it went out...
Took it to the track twice (about 6runs with 6K launches)
Lanched it on the street alteast 15times at 6K
Still no slipping at all...

Then I decided one day to be a dumbass....went to launch it after clutching my car in 3rd gear and rolling up to the line....wasn't paying enough attention to what I was doing as I was paying attention to many other things I'm not allowed to talk about on here...
Got her up to 6K and....slipped to ****...shifted a whole whopping one gear the whole 1/4...hmmm smell that? CLUTCH 6K launch in 3rd gear!! I didn't think i'd ever admit to anyone that I actually did that...but well for the sake of letting people know my good experience with the stock clutch here it is....Even after that launch..still no slipping...but about a week later 5th gear on the highway...a light slip only a full boost...inevitable...

But yeah...long story short either i had a factory fluke of a clutch...or alot of people must somehow really really abuse their cars or just not know how to drive...
Old Mar 20, 2006, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

ive got 33k on my stocker and several, SEVERAL launches on it. about 6 at the strip and an auto-x event and some more hard driving. i think i have finally started feelling a little slipping at boost in 5th. and sometimes a little during hard acceleration in 1st and 2nd. but not enought to concern me with changing it yet. i am going with a twin plate when i do switch tho
Old Mar 20, 2006, 09:06 AM
Evolving Member

I just had an Exedy Organic Installed....I like the clutch alot....now...

I only have about 500miles on it and obviously haven't launched it yet...but so far so good.

My Review:

When I first started driving it I was having a really hard time with 1st gear or in reverse. Starting off from a dead stop in 1st the clutch would "chatter" and it almost seemed to get worse as I kept driving it...or maybe just because I was irritated with it. I tried giving it more gas, letting it out slower, letting it out quicker....nothing seemed to work....I wasn't sure if it was me or if it was the clutch after putting about 200miles on it...I'm sure most of you (or maybe it's just me) have got irritated with clutches and gave it a little beating when you shouldn't b/c it gets so frustrating...which i did once...then I took it to one of my friends whos a tech at the shop who installed it to see if he thought it was ok or normal..or maybe if it was just my driving and he could show me how to engage it properly....he drove it and told me that it does shutter tried a few diffrent ways of engaging it and it still had some shutter to it...he said it was ok but if i wanted to i could bring it by the shop and he'd just make sure if I feel like it is getting worse...The shutter was only really at the very end of the friction point...so I kept driving it....started riding it out a little more(not excessive to the point of really riding the clutch like you can hear it and smell it...but just a little more than I would on the stocker) for the next 250 miles...and now I"m not sure if it's me who has gotten used to it...or if at the 500mile mark it is broke in and finally happy. The clutch feels great now...comfortable to drive and definatly grabs hard but has the same characteristics I liked about the stock clutch....

And for the record I have driven cars with the twin carbon & twin metallic...all already broke in...but never had a car shutter b/c of the clutch like mine did.....

Anyone else experience the same thing...I'm interested in wether I got used to it...or the clutch just broke itself in...
Old Mar 20, 2006, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

I wasnt aware the Exedy single was that mild. I thought it was made to compete with the ACT street clutch.

I have 42k on my stock clutch and Ive had 344ft/lb since 3800 miles and 386ft/lbs since 35k miles. Its got a solid 20 launches on it or more and I drive the car hard. I have no idea how its lasted, and it still feels great. Lucky me!