Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Cylinder wall has a 'line' in it..please advise..

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2006, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cylinder wall has a 'line' in it..please advise..

So my car was overheating....
saw signs of a blown headgasket so we pulled off the head and i bought a new gasket.
Now looking at the pistons.. #1 and #2 look like if i took a chisel and lightly tapped away at them...
so we decided to pull the pistons out to examine the cylinders..

cylinder #3 ....has a line in it. it's not a crack...but i think the ring may have caused/marked it.

I'm using oversized CP forged pistons so the block has been opened up a little before. The machine shop says they can just sleeve it and everything would be alright since it isnt bad and that the machine shop that bored it out before didnt really give the pistons any clearance at all..considering they were forged.
Should I go in this direction and sleeve it?

keep in mind that I hope to run in excess of 30psi of boost. 35psi being the maximum.

already bought back 4 CP pistons with rings and a greddy 1.2mm gasket. This is all that's keeping the motor from being built back right now.

thanks in advance.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

bump..anyone?
Old Mar 15, 2006, 06:21 PM
Evolving Member

if you can barely feel it with your finger you are probably ok. have your piston to wall clearance checked and if your still tight from previous bore job, open it up a little and throw some new rings in. you want around .005 thou wall clearance at 1/2 inch up from bottom of skirt. i'm running .0055 with some je's with out issue.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 10:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got a line in 2 of my cylinder walls from inproper ring clearance fitting my ROSS pistons earlier. Have been running it that way for 2 years now and compression and leak down figures checked in perfect. Why worry... Continue running...
Old Mar 15, 2006, 10:39 PM
Evolving Member

If it ain't broke...
Old Mar 16, 2006, 03:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
a pic would help
Old Mar 16, 2006, 06:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GTREVO
I've got a line in 2 of my cylinder walls from inproper ring clearance fitting my ROSS pistons earlier. Have been running it that way for 2 years now and compression and leak down figures checked in perfect. Why worry... Continue running...
cool....i think i'd listen to what you are saying...because compression test on mine was excellent as well.
and this looks like it's been there for a while too!