Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

MBC is being a douche bag

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2006, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Turbo-Evo2346
The MBC has the ability to lower the boost but not increase it....does that make any sense to anyone because im baffled.
I am sure it is a installation error. Check your boost/vacuum lines, make sure the BOV line is not pinched or twisted.

Make sure you connect the MBC the correct way, I had mistakenly installed MBC the wrong way many times, there are soo many MBC in the market that it is crazy, per instance the TurboXS incresases boost by rotating the screw the opposite direction of everyone elses. Bottom line, just double check the lines.

Carlos
Old Mar 28, 2006, 06:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
alright thanks guys I appreciate it
Old Mar 28, 2006, 07:28 PM
Evolving Member

You might want to try taking it apart and cleaning it. You can unscrew the bottom barb fitting by hand. Make sure the ball and spring are clean and seating properly.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

Make sure you use the turbo outlet as the source and NOT the t-method to the BOV like many people mistakably do.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dan628
Make sure you use the turbo outlet as the source and NOT the t-method to the BOV like many people mistakably do.
You can use either, it doesnt matter. Ive been using the BOV line as source with my Hallman MBC for 40k miles and it works fine. Many many other people do as well, without problems.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

For hallman MBC you must use

Heavy spring!
Heavy Spring!
Heavy Spring!

for stock waste gate.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

I dont get this heavy spring stuff. I purchased my Hallman right off boostcontrollers.com and installed it right there. I never had to touch springs?
Old Mar 29, 2006, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

You can run it that way, but switch to the turbo outlet for the source and you'll see what I mean.. I stupidly installed mine the first time using the BOV method, and had a lot of weird problems (suring, bucking, etc.) , now when I use the turbo as the source it works perfect...

Originally Posted by Soon2BEVO
You can use either, it doesnt matter. Ive been using the BOV line as source with my Hallman MBC for 40k miles and it works fine. Many many other people do as well, without problems.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

You can run it that way, but switch to the turbo outlet for the source and you'll see what I mean.. I stupidly installed mine the first time using the BOV method, and had a lot of weird problems (suring, bucking, etc.) , now when I use the turbo as the source it works perfect...
Hm, thats weird, Ive always used it, my boost is perfect. I guess maybe he could try that though as a possible remedy
Old Mar 29, 2006, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

Since you are trying to control boost pressure at the manifold, the manifold is your best reference point for the Hallman and controlling boost. Taking your source of boost pressure at the turbo is going to cause a greater variablility in your control. For instance, air flow increases as hp increases, and dp increases accordingly. As the dp between the turbo and the manifold is in a constant state of flux, so will your boost control at the manifold. Manifold pressure and turbo pressure will not be the same nor will the dp between the two, and if you try to control off turbo pressure, you WILL see more boost taper and variablility than if you tap the manifold (or the line to the BOV for instance).

Old Mar 30, 2006, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

This just goes to show, you can't always believe what you read on the internet.... Even hallman's instructions say to use the turbo as the source. I get very little taper if any at all.. I hold 20 PSI damn near all the way to redline... I get full boost between 3000 and 3500 rpm. I guess every car reacts differently.

This is straight off hallman's website, scroll all the way down and you see how they say to install it, right off the turbo outlet!

http://www.hallmanboostcontroller.com/howto.html

Last edited by dan628; Mar 30, 2006 at 07:33 AM.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Turbo-Evo2346
alright ill probably do that......or get a 200 shot of nitrous
Go with idea # B.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Soon2BEVO
I dont get this heavy spring stuff. I purchased my Hallman right off boostcontrollers.com and installed it right there. I never had to touch springs?
Hallman pro RX comes with 2 springs, and you have to put the heavy spring in. one installed on Pro RX is the light spring and it is for hondas. Regular Hallman comes with the Heavy springs but sometimes they ship out with light spring for honda like cars. and the light spring only holds till 14~15 psi max.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by taenaive
Hallman pro RX comes with 2 springs, and you have to put the heavy spring in. one installed on Pro RX is the light spring and it is for hondas. Regular Hallman comes with the Heavy springs but sometimes they ship out with light spring for honda like cars. and the light spring only holds till 14~15 psi max.
Oh I see. Well, I bought the Hallman Pro, not the Pro RX. I guess it should be advised people get the regular (and cheaper!) Pro model since you dont have to fiddle around with springs or any of that non-sense. I put mine in and havent thought about it since.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

Jude never has to worry about boost....

Quick Reply: MBC is being a douche bag