Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Safe boost increase w/ race gas?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2006, 03:09 PM
Fomer Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Safe boost increase w/ race gas?

I will be going out to the track this Wed. and wanted to turn up the boost a little. I found the way to figure out how much the oct. will be once I mix it with my 93 gas. Just need to know whats safe to turn it up to.

They have 110 and 112, both leaded at the track. Thinking a 1/4 tank of 93 and 1/4 of 110, should be around 101.

I don't want to do much, I am at around 22 lbs now, so I was thinking 23, 24. I just did HKS 272/272 and my air/fuel is around low 11. I think I will be alright, just want to make sure.

And what happens when you get knock? I am sure I am not getting it, my whole power band feels smooth.

Thanks
Old Apr 10, 2006, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You will be 100% fine at 24psi even on a 50/50 mix of 93/110. There's no secret to determining octane. It's just basic math. If you have half 93 and half 110, then your octane is the average of the two, which is 101.5 (basically). On that octane, you can run 24-25psi all day. You would be better off with unleaded race gas, if it's available, since you can't retune, but although you may run a little richer, you will overcome that by pushing an extra 2-3psi without fear of knock.

What do you mean what happens when you get knock? Do you mean how do you know if you're knocking, or are you actually asking what the side effects of knock are? I was kinda hoping you would know that or could find it from searching, but if your engine is knocking, the ECU will pull timing, which lessens power. Also, knock damages the engine...
Old Apr 10, 2006, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your sig says full exhaust so you should just run it pure race gas and shoot for 28psi and let it taper wherever it does. Im assuming since you have an EMS you can make sure your AFRs stay in line. Also with the EMS you can log the knock voltage and set it up so it determines your "true" knock count.

If you cant do this than you should go to your tuner and have them show you how to look at your logs and help you refine the tune with pure race gas. Since they already made you a map the rest is just minor tweaking of the AFR and possibly some timing... shouldnt cost much.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 05:01 PM
Fomer Vendor

I just don't know the signs of knock. But I will search.

I had it tuned at a dyno day by TT, so taking it back to the original tuner isnt really possible. I am going to get it tuned again by John with Jestr tuning. And I don't have a laptop to check anything on the EMS.

I guess I could get unleaded, from central florida turbo, but all they have at the track is leaded. Just easier to get it when I am there.

I know I could search this question, but wouldn't I need head studs with 28 lbs? And whats the "limit" on 101 oct., boost wise.

Thanks for the answers, I feel more assured now turning up the boost.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

When you have race gas like that, you can pretty much go all out on the boost, but I don't think you should, because you would want head studs for that high boost, and you don't have a way to tune for it. I don't know why you have a full standalone if you aren't using it for self-tuning and getting the most out of your setup, but since you aren't really using it, i say to use the 50/50 mix and shoot for 25psi.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 05:14 PM
Fomer Vendor

Well I don't know the ins and outs of the EMS, and I don't trust myself enough to mess with it, even if its something small. I would like to learn, but I will leave it to the pros for now.

I was still just going to go with the 50/50 and (now)25lbs, just wanted to know what was possible. Still learning.

Have you done head studs?
Old Apr 10, 2006, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, I did head studs. They are important for me, since I have alky and run 26psi daily.

I still don't know why you have an AEM EMS on the stock turbo with no self-tuning knowledge. You could have spent $200 on a flash to get the same power it seems. Oh well, ancient history now, right?
Old Apr 10, 2006, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I doubt the power will change that much without changing the afr's to accomodate for the increased octane...I would just stick with the 50/50 and 25 lbs like war said..
Old Apr 10, 2006, 05:30 PM
Fomer Vendor

Yeah, The EMS was cheap and figured why not. Not as cheap as a flash, I know. But whatever. I have launch control now too, just have to get it "turned on". See it would help if I knew how to do it right? Eh, I will eventually get a lap top and mess around with it, with help of course.

Thanks for the answers.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You REALLY need a laptop if you have an EMS.

You dont need headstuds if your only going to push 25-26psi.

You need a laptop again.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 07:22 PM
Fomer Vendor

Well if I got one right now, it wouldn't do me much good, atleast until I knew what I was doing. I would like to, but I don't want to F up my car. I will get one, and see if a pro will help me with some basics. I hear you though, thanks for the advice.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 07:30 PM
Evolving Member

The basic stuff is not hard to learn on the EMS. Just make sure you have your base map so you can start over. I would not touch any of the tuning aspect until you are somewhat expirenced in it, but simple things like lauch control can be done by a novice.
To not go off topic, I would stick with the 50/50 like warr said and boost at 25. That way you are pushing the car harder, but not to a point that you are risking it.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 06:02 AM
Fomer Vendor

Right, I wasn't going to go higher than 25. I wasn't really thinking of going higher than 24 until I was sure it was "safe".

I tried once playing around with the programs on my home computer, but you can't open anything, or I just don't know how. I know not to touch any of the maps or stuff like that. And I am a visual learner, you know, show me once and I got it, so reading those long a$$ instructions with the EMS, no help.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
How much more timing over pump gas do you guys normally get away with on 103 octane?
Old Apr 13, 2006, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

I always read on here about people worriying about different a/f ratios on race gas vs. pump gas. I see it mentioned in every thread about running race gas on your pump tune. In the 11 years I have been doing this crap I have never seen a car on the dyno or through datalogs that shows a significant measureable difference in a/f on pump vs. race gas.

Is that speculation or is that something you guys have observed?

Quick Reply: Safe boost increase w/ race gas?