Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Turbo Upgrade: If you could do it over again...

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2006, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ludikraut
At the same RPM, yes. But you have to consider that a stroker makes the same power at lower RPM when compared to the stock 2.0 liter. Therefore at the same power level, the 2.3 will be at a lower RPM, which means lower overall stress. (this is over-simplified, true, but study the threads discussing stroker kits, you'll get the idea)

l8r)
So then it sounds like you're putting the same amount of strain because piston speeds will then be equal with the slower RPM stroker and the high RPM 2.0L? :P
Old May 3, 2006, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

At the same RPMs the stroker motor pistons are ramping up in speed more quickly and traveling faster. One of the main things about a stroker motor is the increased side load on the pistons. With a longer stroke, you must use shorter rods. Shorter rods means more angularity on the rods to the crank. Because of the lower rod to stroke ratio, you cannot rev as high. Thats why the 2.4 liter block is good. Its got a 6mm higher deck height which allows you to run longer rods and rev a little higher. A stroker does wear more than a 2.0 will.
Old May 3, 2006, 11:53 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
I would have stayed with the stock turbo vs. going with a modified stock turbo. Just not enough difference to justify the cost.
Old May 3, 2006, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LetItBreath
Trina babe would this car be used mainly for racing? or would you do all those mods for a daily driver? I'm particularly interested in this thread now because I'm at the stage where I'm "doing it all again" but minus the turbo. I have a stroker built by PDT(explains why I'm not happy with it), the stock turbo, revolvers, headwork...pretty much eveything but the stock turbo, incercooler and intake manifold. I'm looking to get some real world characteristics of different set ups. Look for my post in AMS's forum titled "what to do now" to find the details. Looking forward to see what people like/dont like about their setups.
I drive my car daily but most would not consider it a daily car. It has a full 10 point roll cage in it, race seats, fuel cell (no gas guage ~110 mile tank while cruising), no ac, no heater, etc, etc....

If I wanted a true daily driver I would stick with the stock turbo, AEM EMS, fuel pump, injectors, IC, piping, clutch and exhaust. Have an 11 second car that I could daily drive with AC and even autocross.
Old May 3, 2006, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Spoke with a friend, and his thoughts:

He had the gt35r kit with cams, i/c, etc. Probably a high 10 second car if he'd ran it.
He said he would have built the bottom end first if he were to do it again. Goto AMS and get their 2.3l stroker, and it would have saved him sooo much money/time. This was back in 04 when everything was new including the gt35r!
Old May 3, 2006, 01:03 PM
Evolving Member

I would have purchased a turbo kit with a 100% true garret bb turbo.The reason most of these 3071's and 3076's dont spool fast or produce good numbers is because of aftermarket turbine housings.Look closely at your turbo if it doesnt say garret on the compressor and turbine housings you might be disappointed with your outcome.Choose your turbo wisely.
Old May 3, 2006, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 3deep
I would have purchased a turbo kit with a 100% true garret bb turbo.The reason most of these 3071's and 3076's dont spool fast or produce good numbers is because of aftermarket turbine housings. Look closely at your turbo if it doesnt say garret on the compressor and turbine housings you might be disappointed with your outcome.Choose your turbo wisely.
Mine was. Tried both the .63 and .48 AR on the 3071 and both spooled crappy. Even tried a second 3071 ... same story. Garrett is not the end-all-be-all turbo company that they are hyped up to be. There are instances (such as the 3071) where theory does not translate well to reality.

However, I agree with knowing everything there is to know about your turbo (e.g. the one actually going on your car). There are so many different housings to choose from, cartridges, etc, etc. One vendors "35r" may be completely different from another vendor's "35r". Never let a company dictate your turbo choice unless you can verify their claims before the install and can look at the turbo itself right before the install.

l8r)
Old May 4, 2006, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

my mistake was i gone with 2.5downpipe w/hfc....
now i m happy with 3inch TB without cat.

and i would ve stay with stock shifter,,,,with B&M Shorty shifter is hurting my hands sometimes,,,because u need to put more force into it...........its kinda jerky too,,,
OR it could be my bad transmission,,,,i dont know yet! anyone like b&m shifter???

Last edited by yesevo; May 4, 2006 at 06:04 PM.
Old May 4, 2006, 06:06 PM
Evolving Member

I would have gone with the Turbo Trix kit, along with an AEM EMS. Plus, I'd install all quality AN fittings and braided lines from the beginning. I had several oil and coolant leaks with the fitting supplied with the RNR kit. I would have gone with 880 injectors, instead of 680.
Old May 4, 2006, 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

If I could do it all over again.............I would adopt Al and Shiv.
Old May 5, 2006, 04:44 AM
Evolving Member

If i could I would buy all my mods first then hit dynoflash for a tune. Instead I have 3 mail ins and 2 custom tunes. Thats $200 for the first mail in, $275 for the next custom, $50 for another mail in, $50 for yet another mail in and $300 for a final custom tune. Thats $875 for just tunes!! Ok now I canot hate on Dynoflash for this as the results were amazing each time, its all my fault on this one. Funny thing is if I dont hit 11's on my setup then all add a few more parts and hit Al up again. But with a 115mph trap speed I should have been there a while ago, i just need a clutch. Oh yeah should have done that as a first mod.
Old May 5, 2006, 05:35 AM
Evolved Member

I personally if I were to upgrade my turbo would go with a T3 hotside GT3567.

Its tha bomb (starting to think that ams' 37R is actually a 3567)
Old May 5, 2006, 06:41 AM
Evolved Member

I would not have purchased my 03 Evo (two years ago). I would have waited and purchased the Evo 9 MR (last year) and get the turbo upgrade that comes with it!
Old May 6, 2006, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Gaijin: Why would you not go with the complete Apexi turbo kit? Did you have fitment problems or a quality issue? Just curious as I like that turbo too and toy with the idea of eventually getting one.
Old May 7, 2006, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Nothing Bigger Than The GT3071R

Originally Posted by trinydex
and i'd say anything over a 3071 is a waste on pump gas, the 3076 is definitely a racegas turbo, but i guess you're right in that you could run it on pump without too much dissapointed face.
Why such a bold statement? I contacted Buschur Racing about what would be the next turbo up from their 20G-9. My ultimate goal is 350-400whp and 350-400wtq on 93 octane, alky, and no more than 24 psi. According to BR, the next logical step up would be the GT3076R although the GT3071R is available as well to meet my stated goals.

I'm not knocking your statement. I'm just curious as to why you believe the GT3071R is the stopping point for MAINLY pump gas turbo set ups?

I know that I'd be satisfied with the 20G-9 but just in case I want a tad bit more power on the top end, I have things narrowed down to either the GT3071R or the GT3076R so your constructive criticism of sticking with the GT3071R would be greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: Turbo Upgrade: If you could do it over again...