Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

The story of APR head studs

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2006, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The story of APR head studs

I have seen many EVO owners install APR head studs 1 by 1 method and having issues. The main issue I have seen was leak behind the block between the head gasket and the block. Now the leak is pretty small but it easily can be seen.

I have posted this thread to help EVO owners and explain what I have seen on my 03 and many other EVOS. The leak starts after installing the studs by few months. It did not happen on my car only but it happened on many EVOs including some of my friends and many others here on the forums. If a compression check is ran on the leaky gasket no loss of pressure will be seen. Also, the leak down test on my car came back with perfect results. The car drives perfectly and the oil leak is very small but can be spotted. The owner will not see loss of oil on the dip stick because the loss is minimal and we all change our oil around 3K which is very short period.

The proper way to install these studs is by lifting the head and making sure its straight (milling it). There is no short cut in this job. It is costly but that’s the only way. I have heard and read about more engine failures with these studs than the EVOs with out them, in fact I have never read of one EVO blowing it stock head gasket with stock bolts at or around 22psi of boot. If a bigger turbo is installed then these APR studs are recommended but even with my GT3071 on my 03 I have not seen any issues with stock studs at 27 psi.

I only can speak from experience and from what I have seen. I for sure don’t recommend these studs if you don’t have a very good reason and a bigger turbo.

If you have them please lift your car, look behind the block and look for oil leaks.
Old May 11, 2006, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

thanks for the heads up
Old May 11, 2006, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thats interesting....I haven't heard that before.

I am (maybe no longer) considering putting them in when I do my 60k service along with alky and a new head gasket.

What kind of issues resulted from the small oil leak?
Old May 11, 2006, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NYREDEVO

I am (maybe no longer) considering putting them in when I do my 60k service along with alky and a new head gasket.

No issues beside the bad smell. the oil leak is not bad enough to reach the ground. The oil sticks to the block and leaves residue on the oil pan. Of course loosing your warranty through Mitsu immediately.

Last edited by Az3ar; May 11, 2006 at 01:52 PM.
Old May 11, 2006, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NYREDEVO

if you're putting in a headgasket, that is THE time to put them in. The original poster is saying to avoid doing them without removing the head from the black.

FWIW, DSMotorsports did blow his headgasket on the stock headstuds.

I haven't heard of that many headgasket failures w/ or w/o ARP headstuds...besides, your stats are going to be off anyway...those cars equipped with ARP headstuds are more likely to have heavier modifications than those without.

If shops like AMS, Buschur, TT say it's ok, then it's OK.
Old May 11, 2006, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

az3ar whats up just have a question since it sound like u know what your doing, i have a 03 evo 360 to da wheel stock turbo with bolt on had some white smoke coming out the exhaust the other day and smelled a funny smell. and i was low on coolant,62,000 miles never flushed the radiator?so i bring it to a mechanic and he tells me there is nothing wrong with the head gasket he is going to replace my timin belt and water pump and he also said my egr valve was not connected thats why it wsa idiling like **** he did a compression test and told me everything is fine???????????/i have a wierd feeling though?
Old May 11, 2006, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts
Won't re-torqueing them solve the small leak? It's highly recommended after installing them.
Old May 11, 2006, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by anjapower
FWIW, DSMotorsports did blow his headgasket on the stock headstuds.

I.
Was he boosting over 22~23 psi? Did he have an after market turbo?

BTW after removing my old EVO head there were no signs of detonations on top of the pistons. The seal around the pistons was perfect but the seal on the oil gully all the way in the back was broken. When studs are removed you can easily break the head gasket seals and develop an oil leak.

I can only speak from experience. I will find that thread with over 10 EVOs with the same issue.
Old May 11, 2006, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bluebyu36
az3ar whats up just have a question since it sound like u know what your doing, i have a 03 evo 360 to da wheel stock turbo with bolt on had some white smoke coming out the exhaust the other day and smelled a funny smell. and i was low on coolant,62,000 miles never flushed the radiator?so i bring it to a mechanic and he tells me there is nothing wrong with the head gasket he is going to replace my timin belt and water pump and he also said my egr valve was not connected thats why it wsa idiling like **** he did a compression test and told me everything is fine???????????/i have a wierd feeling though?

White smoke means coolant leak. I would flush the coolant system and keep my eye on that level. Ask your Mechanic what was the compression on each piston and ask him to run a leak down test.

Do you have APR studs?
Old May 11, 2006, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Az3ar
Was he boosting over 22~23 psi? Did he have an after market turbo?

BTW after removing my old EVO head there were no signs of detonations on top of the pistons. The seal around the pistons was perfect but the seal on the oil gully all the way in the back was broken. When studs are removed you can easily break the head gasket seals and develop an oil leak.

I can only speak from experience. I will find that thread with over 10 EVOs with the same issue.
Yes and Yes.

I agree that it's a bit sketchy to do it w/o the head off but there's a very small rate of failure from what I've seen.

Sorry you had bad luck with yours.
Old May 11, 2006, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

Like Az3ar said, the correct procedure is to take the head off and make it true.

I think the important thing to remember for people that do the 1 by 1 method is that you have to retorque them after the first heat cycle. Hell, retorque them a month later as well. It can't hurt. But, by doing them the 1x1 method, you should know it's not the "correct" way of doing it, but it can be done.
Old May 11, 2006, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SLVRNBLK
Won't re-torqueing them solve the small leak? It's highly recommended after installing them.

Nope you could warp the head and cause a lot of damage. With older head studs re-torquing after few heat cycles was required. However, new studs with Torx heads don’t require re-torquing.

The head is Aluminum and can get warped if torqued unevenly
Old May 11, 2006, 03:35 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Az3ar
I have seen many EVO owners install APR head studs 1 by 1 method and having issues. The main issue I have seen was leak behind the block between the head gasket and the block. Now the leak is pretty small but it easily can be seen.

I have posted this thread to help EVO owners and explain what I have seen on my 03 and many other EVOS. The leak starts after installing the studs by few months. It did not happen on my car only but it happened on many EVOs including some of my friends and many others here on the forums. If a compression check is ran on the leaky gasket no loss of pressure will be seen. Also, the leak down test on my car came back with perfect results. The car drives perfectly and the oil leak is very small but can be spotted. The owner will not see loss of oil on the dip stick because the loss is minimal and we all change our oil around 3K which is very short period.

The proper way to install these studs is by lifting the head and making sure its straight (milling it). There is no short cut in this job. It is costly but that’s the only way. I have heard and read about more engine failures with these studs than the EVOs with out them, in fact I have never read of one EVO blowing it stock head gasket with stock bolts at or around 22psi of boot. If a bigger turbo is installed then these APR studs are recommended but even with my GT3071 on my 03 I have not seen any issues with stock studs at 27 psi.

I only can speak from experience and from what I have seen. I for sure don’t recommend these studs if you don’t have a very good reason and a bigger turbo.

If you have them please lift your car, look behind the block and look for oil leaks.
Its a double edged sword

If you dont change the studs when you get over say 330 whp you will prob stech the stock ones and blow a head gasket

If you do change the stock studs with the half assed on the car methods - I would say that 99% of the cars will be fine

For example at Pruven I have seen them change the studs with the head on the car at least 500 times with never a problem

I have seen people who did it themslves have problems with leaks

The best way to do the job is to lift the head check it and use a new head gasket but that menthod is much more costly

Just my two cents
Old May 11, 2006, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

Hmm. I did the 1 by 1 method and haven't had a problem. I did have an oil leak but that was caused by a ripped valve cover gasket in the rear. Degreased the engine 2 months ago with not a drop lost. I checked and cleaned everything under a car lift, cant really see it from looking down from the top

Crossing fingers.
Old May 11, 2006, 10:12 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I'll have to go with Al on this one... AMS was who got the one by one method started to my recollection. Also, one would be surprised at how many "leaky head gaskets" are in fact leaking valve cover gaskets.

Just the same, I don't suggest Average Joe swap his own studs in...

Quick Reply: The story of APR head studs