Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Misfiring issue...

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2006, 10:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Misfiring issue...

In the last 10 hrs of operation, my car has slowly developed a misfire. At first it did it once in awhile, but now it does it anytime I go over 10psi. I changed the spark plugs (BR8ES gapped to .022-.023) but it hasn't helped. I am not throwing any CEL codes either. Before this started happening, I had run up to 34psi w/ no issues. I run 23psi daily for the last 2 years.

So is there anyway to test the coils? Also, what is the resistance specs in the spark plug wires? If anyone else has an ideas, I would like to hear them.

Thanks in advance .
Old May 14, 2006, 10:14 PM
Evolving Member

.024 sounds like where you wanna be on stock ignition but you might want to check your coils.....did you say 34psi?? is this stock turbo and stock motor? if soo thats a little insane
Old May 14, 2006, 10:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SSKILLA
.024 sounds like where you wanna be on stock ignition but you might want to check your coils.....did you say 34psi?? is this stock turbo and stock motor? if soo thats a little insane
34psi w/ a big turbo. Most of the time I run 28-29psi on 100oct. I just wanted to clarify that I have had no spark issues at high pressures.
Old May 14, 2006, 11:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
My car has been boost cutting intermitently. Changed the spark plugs, and it dissapeared...for a week. Car ran fine today, it's very confusing. The coils are only 111 apiece (if you get a good price like at mitsubishipartsdirect.com), so I may just buy the new coils anyays. Only takes about 10 minutes to swap them out. If it's not the coils, I have a feeling it could be my whinebro on the way out, and the car/ECU/SMART is cutting boost when things get too lean.
Old May 15, 2006, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

I have had enough with the stock ignition, even with ignition amplifyers it will still misfire at higher rpms with plugs gapped at .020. Just build a COP system or MSD Coil pack system and be done with it.

I am pretty sure that mitsu can test the coil packs though.
Old May 15, 2006, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by atlvalet
My car has been boost cutting intermitently. Changed the spark plugs, and it dissapeared...for a week. Car ran fine today, it's very confusing. The coils are only 111 apiece (if you get a good price like at mitsubishipartsdirect.com), so I may just buy the new coils anyays. Only takes about 10 minutes to swap them out. If it's not the coils, I have a feeling it could be my whinebro on the way out, and the car/ECU/SMART is cutting boost when things get too lean.
I am going to try and swap coils & plug wires w/ someone and see if the problem still presists.
Old May 15, 2006, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GTVEVO
I have had enough with the stock ignition, even with ignition amplifyers it will still misfire at higher rpms with plugs gapped at .020. Just build a COP system or MSD Coil pack system and be done with it.

I have never had a problem with my stock ignition system before so I don't want to go out and send $500-$1000 on COP.

Has anyone tried any aftermarket plug wires like NAPA, Autozone, Borg-Warner etc? I have heard horror stories regarding the Magnacore performance ones so I won't be going there.
Old May 15, 2006, 01:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by jj_008
I am going to try and swap coils & plug wires w/ someone and see if the problem still presists.
The thing that confuses me is that last week my car backfired while in boost in 4th gear and shut down. I lost power in the middle of the freeway. It took me a second to figure out what the hell happened, and then I thought I blew up my car. Coasting with no power at 60...50...40 miles an hour while everyone else is zinging by at 80 is scary. Threw on my hazards and hoped no one rear-ended me. I pulled the fuse to my ECU, but it's hard to know what is cuasing all this. Like I said, coils are next.
Old May 17, 2006, 04:32 PM
Evolved Member

I went out and bought mysefl a nice set of NAPA brand spark plug wires (Which are pretty nice, BTW) and the problem has gone away. They were $41, come w/ a lifetime warranty, and fit perfectly. The car even runs a little smoother now.
Old May 17, 2006, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jj_008
I went out and bought mysefl a nice set of NAPA brand spark plug wires (Which are pretty nice, BTW) and the problem has gone away. They were $41, come w/ a lifetime warranty, and fit perfectly. The car even runs a little smoother now.
you still have the same coils just new wires? i keep getting misfires on high boost every so often also. ive gone through 3 sets of pugs in the last 2 months. maybe ill try the napa wires also. what part # are those?
Old May 17, 2006, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Turbojunkie
you still have the same coils just new wires? i keep getting misfires on high boost every so often also. ive gone through 3 sets of pugs in the last 2 months. maybe ill try the napa wires also. what part # are those?
I am using the same coils. I even ordered new coils, because I figured that was the problem. The spark plug wires were in there Portland warehouse so I got them the next day and slapped them on. The misfires are gone.

The wires are the NAPA Belden MAX premium wires. The part number is 700530, but the tag says its for a 6 cylinder car . Just tell them you have a DOHC lancer w/ AWD and they should get you the right wires set.

On a other note: The coils have the same part number as the base lancers, but the EVO requires 2 coils while the Lancer uses 1 to power all 4 cylinders. It doesn't seem right to me, but I have never seen the Lancer engine bay w/ my own eyes though.
Old May 17, 2006, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

Good to see that you resolved your problem, I see you are using the XEDE so that explains why you don't have to deal with misfire problems unlike us with the AEM once you start making good power. Stock ECU seems to not have the same issue.
Old May 17, 2006, 10:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
good to hear that you resolved it.
Old May 17, 2006, 11:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GTVEVO

I agree with you 100%. I think almost all EVOs who increase the boost are experiencing a "blown-out" spark under WOT. You do not notice it unless you are logging it with a good AFR logger. It looks like a huge spike in the AFR and usually happens at peak boost/torque.

It does not affect driveability much, but it is there. The higher the boost the more instances of blown sparks that you will get. The boost is just too high and the coils are just too weak to keep a consistent strong spark.

My theory is that all EVOs that have increased boost have this, but only with time and mileage do you start experiencing the actual misfire and get a CEL. Basically the coil/wires get weaker and the misfire rears its ugly head.

I am going to get an aftermarket COP and ignition box. Buschur and Switzer make them. Yes, they are expensive, but if you plan on road racing the car like I do, then this is a must.
Old May 28, 2006, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

Update: I am still misfire free w/ the new spark plug wires. I received the NAPA coils (and returned them) and they looked exactly like the stockers. They are even made in Japan. I think they maybe from the OEM manufacturer and the they were only $100 w/ boot. Just FYI.

Quick Reply: Misfiring issue...